Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Split Res - 1 adult, 3yr and inf in lap in coach and 1 adult in business? Stupid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Split Res - 1 adult, 3yr and inf in lap in coach and 1 adult in business? Stupid?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to get your opinions. I made some reservations odd reservations for our next trip From States to SA. My wife and kids (3 yr and 1+ Infant in lap) and her Mother are all flying out together a few weeks before me in Coach. I booked my ticket through miles (therefore upgraded to First/Business) and was going to fly back economy with them minus the mother in law. Well turns out that the it is actually less miles to fly business class back. So I upgraded the ticket to Business on SAA to LHR and on CO from LHR-IAH.

Now my question is, is it going to be insane flying with 2 kids in the back with one parent and the other parent up front. Will the kids be wanting both parents with them? The wife will get the choice where she wants to sit (probably start off in the front of the plane and see how the little one do without her). We have three legs so I am sure we will figure it out by the end. Also if it hits the fan do you think we would be able to switch (I know this depends on the flight attendants and all but what is your experience).

2) Is there a way I can switch the infant to be a lap child under my ticket (business) on the trip back and remove it from her return leg of the ticket. I realize this will cost the 10% of the fare blah blah blah stuff. But wondering if it can really be done since she is already reserved under my wife’s name.

3) If I can’t switch the tickets, what is the likely hood of being able to bring the infant up to the front of the plane. (Before I get pooped on here, this is my least preferred option).

Hoping to get some people’s opinions who might have travelled this way before, Might be easier just to trade seats with someone who is sitting in between my wife and kid and say hey its your lucky day. Will airlines allow this?

One last question that I just saw on the forum about letters regarding permission for the kid to travel without parents. In the past we never needed to produce anything, are they any different now. Usually I check them in but this time they are taking a couple day stop in London on the way out and wondering if they are going to get any hassle.

Thanks for any opinions
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
As a wife and a mom of 2 myself, I'd highly advise against flying up front and leaving the wife with two kids on her own. VERY highly advise it.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
As a wife and a mom of 2 myself, I'd highly advise against flying up front and leaving the wife with two kids on her own. VERY highly advise it.
Yeah but my wife says she doesn't care, but I am not that stupid and falling for that one. So definitely trying to get her up front. The best option would be to switch the infant ticket to my ticket so she and the baby (who is more attached to her as the toddler is more attached to me) sit up front. Also that way they wouldn't bat an eye if the infant was sitting in couch or business.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by encierro98
Yeah but my wife says she doesn't care, but I am not that stupid and falling for that one.
Smart man!

But realistically speaking, have either of you flown on your own with both kids? I don't recommend it. Even if you switch to a lap infant in Business, one of you will be on your own with the baby, with nowhere to put him/her down (unless you can also get a bassinet seat - but no guarantee) so you get a break to even enjoy the upgraded service, so I'd prefer two seats in coach over one in Business (esp. with no help.) Also, it may not be any cheaper, as you'll see in other threads on this board, depending on whether you can get a refund on the infant seat and how much the 10% is.

I say suck it up and sit together in coach - I'm sure you'll have no problem getting someone to switch either officially or unofficially. But you might try to do it at the counter, so you can be assured of sitting together (that's the whole point, right?) There's a recent thread here on 3+1 or 2+2 seating for exactly your situation you might want to peruse for pros/cons either way....

Good luck!
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:12 pm

If you can switch the infant to business it is worth considering - you can ask the FAs if the parents can switch halfway thru the flight (and do the same on the second leg) - works very often. The 2nd parent would have the 3 yr old for the other half of the flight. The advantage of one in c class is easier check-in, security, transfers, priority when thing go wrong, etc. You might even be able to take your wife/3 yr old into the lounge (though that is doubtful).

If you can't upgrade the infant I'd book the cheaper business class seat and switch with an economy passenger (less miles for you but still you get C perks - and one happy co-pax).
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Currently the little one is in a lap in coach. so it really isn't a issue of having a seat in coach vs. lap in Business, but the points are still valid and well taken. I am just seeing the possiblity of the infant on my lap and the cost. And if worse comes to worse we fly the first 1.5 hr leg and see how we do and switch it up for the next 2 - 10 hour legs accordingly, probably just unoffically with someone who is sitting in the row with us in Coach. But then we do get the express check-in and if the kids and wife start bugging me I can go to the lounge (haha).

BTW we would all be able to check in together I am assuming.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: United Plus
I actually had something similar happen last summer. I booked the kids on UA from Frankfurt to San Francisco and back. My husband was planning on joining us but got a really good business fare leaving the same day (and not available later on). I should say that my husband is too big to comfortably fit in economy so there was no discussion of his moving back there.

We read the riot act to the kids. No going up to visit him! I managed to sit just a few rows behind business and he purposely took a seat on the main deck near economy (like, where most of you don't want to sit!)

I can't actually say if it worked because we had to make an emergency medical stop in Iceland so the kids were able to visit him for a few hours up there after all. They're actually older so that might have helped.

I was going to suggest that you get a seat for the infant if your wife is alone with the two. This would make her flight much, much easier. Putting the infant up in business doesn't strike me as a workable solution (especially if the baby is breastfed!)

Look into SA's car seat rules before doing this. Don't risk yours' being refused for whatever reason.

http://www.flysaa.com/Shared/sa_pass...h_infants.html

Having somewhere to place the baby is key to flying alone with them and those cots are not really a good alternative to a car seat for either safety or practibility (experience speaking!)

As a Flight Attendant, I've had these situations with split families between classes and they tend to deteriorate into a lot of back and forthing and hovering, which bugs the other economy passengers.

It does NOT depend on the Flight Attendants. It depends on the rules of the company/country you're flying. Passengers couldn't switch between classes. Once they did it, I for one didn't say anything (no frog marching back to Y) but it's amazing how many times people justified going up to business or first with a "I know someone up there". Great. Have them visit you!

Can you all sit back in Y?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Now that it just sunk in that we're talking about mom not only potentially alone with both kids, but one of them being a lap infant?

Don't touch that with a tenfoot pole. Get your seat in Y.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Would rather it end up with Mom and baby in Business and Me and toddler in back. Trying to find out if it is possilbe to switch the infant to my ticket therefore we can do one on one defense. And just wanted to get others experience about any problems with switch seats IE my wife and I. Otherwise just use the business part of the ticket for the express check in and luggage allowance and exchange seats with the other Y passagner in the row. Anybody with experience with that.

Cheers
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:50 am

Programs: United Plus
You wont be allowed to trade seats between classes. That would be putting people in Business who didn't pay for it, up there. Big no-no.

I'm not sure if your wife would be comfortable sitting in business with a lap infant. Read that thread if unsure. Being in Business doesn't mean that magically the baby becomes less work. It's a little more room and business class passengers complain about crying babies faster than back in economy. Some have paid for that class specifically to avoid children and many were coming from business meetings, or going into them upon arrival, etc.

Personally, the express check-in should not be a high priority. There are two adults so it shouldn't be a big deal to just do normal check-in if necessary. Does SA have on-line check-in? That's a real help with children. What a time saver! The line for on-line checked bags may be the shortest of the three.

For the record, last summer, United was nice and let us all use the business check-in counter, even though only my husband was in business. Not sure if that's policy or they just did that. They also tagged all our bags as business (yeah! got them off faster in Customs).

Having the family together is more practical for more reasons than just taking care of the children. I have hardly ever flown with my husband and for 11 1/2 hours, it would be nice to have some adult interaction. It's nice to "trade off" entertaining the children. It's nice to hand the baby over to someone else (especially if the baby doesn't have a seat).

I would venture, if you have to split, you go up front with the 3 year old and make sure the baby has its own seat back in economy with the mom. Or all sit together in Y.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold
We've done the split family thing with one parent in F with the lap infant and the other in back with the older child, and it worked swimmingly. On the international leg there were extra seats in F so the baby got his own seat.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Have flown with the other child in business before on lap. And it did not magically make things easy but it did make things easier because of the space. And in my exp babies don't cry that much usually just on take off and landing. Sure you do get looks but I am in the boat where just because you pay extra money doesn't entitle you to no kids in your cabin and that you are more superior than others. As the kid has paid the premium too. And those people have to remember without kids we would not exist today. They should be greatful that we let them see first hand the survival of mankind. Well kidding about that last bit. Still I value your opinion but hoping to get some responses from people with exp in a similiar situation.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
On two flights this year, I have seen one spouse seated in F and the other in Y (with the child). On both flights, they have tried to switch off and both times, this was not allowed, and the Y passenger was sent back to coach.

I have no idea if your kids will want both parents with them. Putting myself in your wife's position, I would not be pleased to have full responsibility for a three year old and a lap child. It's just too hard. How is she going to eat or use the lav?

Personally, I'd purchase a coach ticket for everyone.

To eclipsepearl - yes UA will let everyone not only check in with the higher status/class passenger, but you can board with them too.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:36 am
Original Poster

6rugrats-

Were they trying to switch mid flight or at the beginning and stay seated that way for the whole flight? What airlines were they? If I can't give my seat to the wife and just stay back in Y the whole flight, I agree that this option might be better to switch the tickets all to Y. Even if I can get the infant switch to my ticket, if it is me and the infant up front not sure how happy my wife would be about that. As for getting to the loo and such, the C class passenger could come back and look after the kids in Y correct?
The whole eating thing would be a problem if someone was stuck with the 2 kids though. However they do have phones in the seats at least in the SAA flight where you could call each other’s seat when needed. But still this is only an option where we can do one on one defense. Unless the little one becomes less attach to mommy by the time to fly, I could take one for the team and take care of them. Especially since I have the way out there with out the kids.

I wondered how my mates made their last UK trip with a 2.5 year old and 2-7 month olds. Had to be hectic being out numbered and with 2 little ones.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:39 am

Many airlines allow switching but not sure about SAA. I very much doubt this would be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.