Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with 5: 1-2-2 or 2-3?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest
Flying with 5: 1-2-2 or 2-3?

Flying as a family of 5 in a few months (kids are 9.5, 8 and 4.5) on SWA. Suggest flying 1-2-2 so each kid has a window (their first airline trip), or 2-3 to avoid 1 of them sort of sitting alone? Thanks.
Old May 7, 2016, 3:32 am

I think I would rather choose 2-3.

But it's really just a personal preference.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
2-3 without a doubt. Window is nice, but not worth having a kid sit alone.
Old May 7, 2016, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
2-3 without a doubt. Window is nice, but not worth having a kid sit alone.
+1

You can have the two kids in the 3 row trade seats halfway there, so that each gets a turn at the window.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:43 am

Don't know the temperament of your kids, but why don't you ask them. If the 9.5 or 8 year olds are comfortable sitting alone, then you could easily sit behind them and keep an eye on them. Hope you have a good trip!
Old May 10, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
1-2-2, and OP sits in the 1 seat (and probably sleep on the couch).
Old May 10, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is SWA - you dont get to choose - just grab whats available...
Old May 11, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Don't know the temperament of your kids, but why don't you ask them. If the 9.5 or 8 year olds are comfortable sitting alone, then you could easily sit behind them and keep an eye on them.
This would be my answer, with the one caveat being that OP's kids have never flown before and therefore don't truly know what to expect. That said, OP, you probably know your kids, so you can talk with them and decide what they would prefer.

Heck, when I was a kid traveling with my parents and three siblings, my youngest sister usually wanted to sit alone regardless of what kind of seat it was, because even as young as 4 or 5 she enjoyed making friends with strangers.

Originally Posted by azepine00
This is SWA - you dont get to choose - just grab whats available...
OP has a kid who is 4.5, so the whole family is eligible for Family Boarding on SWA (after the A's, before the B's). At that point in the boarding process any seating configuration the OP wants should still be available as long as (s)he is willing to sit in the rear half of the plane (I've never had a problem getting 5 seats together for my family on SWA). But it's definitely a good idea to have decided what to grab before you board.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask the kids. Mine never cared about the windows and hated sitting next to strangers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.