Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Car seat or CARES on a regional flight (Cessna 402)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone had any issues using a car seat or CARES restraint on a smaller regional aircraft like the Cessna 402 used by Cape Air? We flew last July from Boston to the BVI via San Juan and took Cape Air from San Juan to Tortola in the BVI. Flying down we had no issues, although we were the only 3 people (wife, myself and our son (5 mos at the time)) on the flight. On our return flight which was close to full, the pilot told us we couldn't use the car seat and would have to hold our son. I told her it was FAA approved..etc but she said "not for this aircraft".. It was clear I wasn't getting anywhere so I gave in an held my son.

We're going back in a month and I'm wondering if we might run into the same issues. Could an airline using smaller aircraft like this be exempt? Would CARES work or even be safe in a seat like these planes have, since the seats fold forward? Now that my son is 25lbs, I'd think the airline would want us to have him secured in a seat as if there was turbulence or some other issue and I couldn't hold on to him, he'd become a 25lb hazard to others (let alone potential injuries to himself).

Just looking to get advice on this - I do plan on contacting the airline and expressing my concern and seeing what they say. And if we were denied in the future, I would refuse to fly.

Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

156 views and not a single reply?

I ended up calling Cape Air today and it sounds like we should have been able to use the car seat. The person I spoke to is going to make some calls just to be sure though. No word on the CARES device though.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:24 am

Not having experience on Cessna type planes, I can't help there, but I've had very good results from contacting the manufacturers themselves (in my case, Graco and Britax) for advice, ratings, compatibility, etc. They will certainly also have you consult with the vehicle manufacturer and operator (Cessna, airline, etc) as well, but you might find some more info from the car seat/CARES company directly.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I think I'll need to contact the company that makes the CARES device. Cape Air has said any FAA approved car seat would be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.