Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Teens and rental cars

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Teens and rental cars

Does anyone know if any major rental car agencies in the US allow teens to drive if their parent is the renter?

We are considering a long car trip this summer, basically Chicago to Yellowstone and back, and I sure would like some help with driving (done all the driving on even longer trips and it gets old fast). My kid will have his permit but not actual license of Pennsylvania's draconian rules on teen drivers, and I'm wondering if there is any legal way he could share the driving.

Thoughts? Your experiences?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Seriously doubt it. Especially on a learners permit.

I think every rental agency has a clause that it needs to be a fully licensed driver over 18 (and under 21 you usually pay a premium).
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Does anyone know if any major rental car agencies in the US allow teens to drive if their parent is the renter?

We are considering a long car trip this summer, basically Chicago to Yellowstone and back, and I sure would like some help with driving (done all the driving on even longer trips and it gets old fast). My kid will have his permit but not actual license of Pennsylvania's draconian rules on teen drivers, and I'm wondering if there is any legal way he could share the driving.

Thoughts? Your experiences?
Someone under 18 years of age and only on a learner's permit? I have never found a major car rental agency that allows that. And I would be surprised if ther is one. Have you thought of borrowing a private individual's vehicle? Have you checked to see if your son's permit is valid for use in all the states of relevance to your journey?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

First time I rented a car I was 18 and paid with a check because I didn't have a credit card. Times have changed.

Done a lot more research. There are companies that will allow a teen driver on a parent's rental, but none so far will allow a driver with a permit. The problem we're having is the idiotic mandatory 6 month wait for a license after the teen gets the permit. Doesn't matter if the teen has passed a Driver's Education course and the written test, they're not allowed to even take the road test for 6 months.

I haven't found any state that doesn't allow a driver with a permit from another state to drive. There might be one, but I haven't come across it. Where we will there are 5 other states within an hour's drive so crossing borders as a daily thing is pretty common.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Aren't there states that would not allow the kid to drive because of age rules? For example, in PA you get a learner's permit at 16 but NY requires age 18 to drive. In the other direction, MN gives learner's permits at 15 1/2.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:29 am

NY allows under 18s with a learner's permit to drive (with restrictions) - But not those with a learner's permit from another state.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't there states that would not allow the kid to drive because of age rules? For example, in PA you get a learner's permit at 16 but NY requires age 18 to drive. In the other direction, MN gives learner's permits at 15 1/2.
The basic age in NY is 16. If you're under 16 you can't drive at all in NY even if you have a permit or license from another state. If you are 16+ and have an out-of-state permit you CAN drive in NY as long as you meet all the requirements of both the other state AND NY. And the NY requirements prohibit drivers with a permit (regardless of a age) from driving in certain places, and prohibit drivers of certain ages (regardless of permit/license status) from driving in certain other places. It's very complicated.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:32 am
Original Poster

In parts of the west - think wide open plains or agricultural areas - you can get a permit at 14 1/2.

The trip we're considering is Chicago - the Dakotas - Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and back to Chicago, so there would be a whole lot of driving that I'd like to share, and most of it in states that allow younger drivers. Manhattan is not on the route.

There are definitely agencies that allow an under 18 year old on the rental contract as a second driver when the parent is primary.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, if you have a young and inexperienced driver and an unfamiliar rental car on unfamiliar roads, how much can the parent relax even when not driving? In fact, if the kid just has a learner's permit, isn't the licensed driver (YOU) required to be responsible, alert, and paying attention at all times? IANAL, but I don't think state law in most places would allow someone with a learner's permit to drive the vehicle while the licensed driver (and parent if required due to time of day, number of people in the car, etc.) sleeps in the car. In fact, do you really want to become an expert in state law about learner's permits and young drivers in all of the places you're going?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem we're having is the idiotic mandatory 6 month wait for a license after the teen gets the permit. Doesn't matter if the teen has passed a Driver's Education course and the written test, they're not allowed to even take the road test for 6 months.
Isn't that normal? It's the law here as well. 6 hours with instructor and 50 hours with parent, plus min of 6 months with permit. It is about gaining the depth of experience needed before you send them out alone.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

However, if you have a young and inexperienced driver and an unfamiliar rental car on unfamiliar roads, how much can the parent relax even when not driving? In fact, if the kid just has a learner's permit, isn't the licensed driver (YOU) required to be responsible, alert, and paying attention at all times? IANAL, but I don't think state law in most places would allow someone with a learner's permit to drive the vehicle while the licensed driver (and parent if required due to time of day, number of people in the car, etc.) sleeps in the car. In fact, do you really want to become an expert in state law about learner's permits and young drivers in all of the places you're going?
Who said anything about sleeping? I think you have radically misinterpreted what I said.

Taking a break from being at the wheel is not the same as sleeping. Don't know if you've ever done long range drives, as in ~500 miles/day for numerous days in a row, but getting a break from being at the wheel while continuing to make progress makes a big difference in how the trip goes.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:54 pm

Who said anything about sleeping? I think you have radically misinterpreted what I said.

Taking a break from being at the wheel is not the same as sleeping. Don't know if you've ever done long range drives, as in ~500 miles/day for numerous days in a row, but getting a break from being at the wheel while continuing to make progress makes a big difference in how the trip goes.
Rule of thumb is 15 minute rest every two hours. supervising your teen driver is not rest. I've done lots of 10+ hour drives.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Rule of thumb is 15 minute rest every two hours. supervising your teen driver is not rest. I've done lots of 10+ hour drives.
Exactly whose rules are these, because they're nonsense. Drive 105 minutes, rest 15? There are large swathes of America where if you tried that, you'd be stopping in the traffic lane of the road for your rest, and some of us define "rest" as not being physically controlling the car, not sleeping.

Also, not all of us are paranoid about having a teen in control of the car. Somehow millions of teens manage to learn to drive and get their licenses without having an accident.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:07 pm

Exactly whose rules are these, because they're nonsense.
Based on studies (concentration and reaction time goes down quickly after that) and the typical advice given by automobile associations in many countries.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, not all of us are paranoid about having a teen in control of the car. Somehow millions of teens manage to learn to drive and get their licenses without having an accident.
1 in 5 of 16-year-old drivers has an accident within their first year of driving. Mine has just made it through her first year and is part of the other 80 percent but it is more dangerous until they get some experience under them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.