Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Direct Flight or Connecting Flight with Newborn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct Flight or Connecting Flight with Newborn

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Yeah, well, for every "We did it and everything was dandy!" anecdote, there's another where things weren't so wonderful. My son contracted influenza at 3 weeks of age and was seriously ill. I wouldn't wish that life threatening condition on anyone's child. Working in a pediatric ICU for many years I saw way too many infants die from respiratory viruses.

We've reached a stage in human development where people no longer hesitate to travel when sick and they just don't give a damn about putting others at risk - go read the threads in the Travel Buzz forum about traveling when you know you're sick and see what I mean.

Traveling with an unimmunized or only partially immunized infant has risks above and beyond the normal risks associated with travel. People need to recognize those risks and weigh them against the feel-good sensation of showing off the new baby.
I'll agree that anecdotes are not helpful. That's why I advised the OP to go with the doctor's advice rather than anything from FT. The OP's question was about the connecting flight, not whether his or her doctor's advice was proper.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi
I'm heading *TO* Israel in Feb with a 7.5 mo old, we bought trip insurance through Nationwide online - pretty easy, but we are US-based.
If in February go direct - the chance of delays and misconnects is significant.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
I'll agree that anecdotes are not helpful. That's why I advised the OP to go with the doctor's advice rather than anything from FT. The OP's question was about the connecting flight, not whether his or her doctor's advice was proper.

1. See post #4

2. This is Flyertalk. Threads drift.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:13 pm

We have many infant trips under our belt and I am split 50/50 on connecting. At the age you are considering, our son slept thru everything so it didn't matter to him what was happening. I was in the connection camp, my husband would say he preferred direct. (so I am really of no help, sorry)

Originally Posted by roknroll
Try to pick a connecting city that splits up the flights into two somewhat similar chunks... not something like a 2 hour flight followed by an 8 hour flight. And give yourself 2-3 hours to connect so you can stretch legs, re organize your supplies, get some food, and have plenty of padding in case of delays.

Yes I'd also recommend secondary trip insurance, and it's not all that expensive. I really like the site www.insuremytrip.com for comparison shopping. I've never had to use it, but always get it when traveling with our young children on long trips. It's got high value medical coverage (including medical evacuation), but also can help out in case of major delays, cancellations, or lost luggage. If you get stuck somewhere overnight, you'll want a decent hotel room to set up in. Or possibly use the money to cover rebooking yourself on an alternate flight.

For a long flight like that, pack plenty of changes of clothes (for baby AND you), diapers, wipes, etc. I usually pack double what I think I would need. Bring a bunch of gallon sized zip loc bags as well, in case you need to contain dirty/soiled clothes.

At that age, being held on the plane isn't going to be an issue for the baby. Just take off and landing with the ears, but you can nurse the baby or give a bottle during those times. The connection is more of an issue for parents. With an extra set of hands, connecting and saving money is probably best.

I 100% agree with all these points.

We NEVER considered travel insurance until our son was born and now find it to be worth the cost. It has paid for its self several times over on three occasions (two medical, one delay). When something does go wrong with a baby that age, it goes wrong in a big way and the coverage is valuable.

Ziplocs! Absolutely. Not only are they good for dirty storage, I would prepare "packs" ahead of time with a disposable changing pad, diaper and a wad of wipes. That way, when our son needed to be changed, I grabbed one small packet, not a loose diaper AND the big package of wipes AND something to lay him on. It just made it so much easier to tuck one thing under my arm. If I was changing him in an area without a trash can, the Ziploc was the temporary trash bag.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One baby of mine would have been fine with anything, the other screamed bloody murder for months on end no matter what we did. So who knows.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:27 pm

I had a baby who screamed bloody murder except for the time he spent on a plane, in arms.

I'd recommend direct (especially if the connection is increased cost). With a toddler, a connection is nice to allow them to stretch their legs, but I don't know that you get a lot out of it with a newborn. So do it if *you* want to, but not for the sake of the baby.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
The trip is elective. It is not relocation, adoption, or vacation. It's the only opportunity for my grandparents, pushing 100, to see their great-grandchild. Elective, but not going for some "fun on the beach" that can be pushed off.

Travel time is in accordance with the doctors here, who have all said 6 weeks is fine based on immunization.
My extended family would do the trip, and this was rather standard for us due to the nature of our family distribution dynamics. If both parents are traveling with just one baby and no other children, then connection vs. non-stop isn't that big a difference -- but connection-transfer hassles/times should be considered. On some routes there is passenger security re-screening and that is a rather more substantial hassle when transporting a baby and baby goods as part of cabin baggage/gate-to-gate allowance.

6 week old babies tend to travel pretty well. I would encourage such a trip, if only because you and your grandparents would appreciate it and it's ordinarily not a problem for most such infants.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I agree with the posters to defer to the doctor's recommendations. If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and make the trip, and do the connection. Babies that age are super-easy to travel with (apart from all the gear). I'd be most concerned about flu season and having an older baby who is touching everything and putting their hands in their mouths. With a newborn, I'd try to take precautions to keep curious onlookers from sticking their hands or face into the baby's face (like keeping the baby in the window seat, and keeping the baby's car seat/carrier covered with a light blanket while in the airport.)
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:27 pm

I flew TATL with my eldest when he was 5 mo old. He was colicky, and was getting his first tooth on the plane. Despite all that, he slept through the flight and it was possibly the most sleep we had gotten in a while.

We had him in his car seat and I think that made a huge difference as we didn't have to disturb him for meals / going to the bathroom / etc. At under 3 months, most babies interests are eating and sleeping so you should have a fairly easy time of it. Personally though, I'd book direct and book a seat for the baby. You're going to be so tired at that point, the extra travel time can be really wearing on you. Also if you have a seat, you can drape a muslin blanket over the baby carrier to protect them from light / noise / maybe even some germs in the cabin and help them sleep better.

I'd also travel after at least the 2 mo vaccinations, when you're also past the point where you're supposed to take the baby to the hospital for any fever, even a low one.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Went with my TA and booked direct. Got better prices, and the difference between connecting and direct was $300, not the initial $1,000 I was finding. And the difference between direct and connecting on a flight I would actually connect on, difference dropped to just over $100. So not bad!

Thanks for the suggestions about everything.

Regarding age, the recommendation we got, again from a different doctor, was 6 weeks.

As for not needing to run to the doctor with fever, we were told any fever under 3 months to go to the doctor. But we'll see once she gives birth what our pediatrician recommends and how the baby's health is regardless.

And we did get travel insurance, directly through the TA, and it covers any trip interruption/cancelation, as well as health insurance (for the baby who won't be covered in the US otherwise).
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: United Plus
Of course millions of babies fly every year and do fine. There are some risks and as a Flight Attendant on long-haul international, the only babies under 8 weeks that I saw were flying for some "pressing" reason (adoption, move, etc.) and not for "leisure".

It's not necessary to make the baby swallow or drink anything on take-off and landing. That's an old myth. Please don't jar your baby awake and feed him when he's not hungry... Let him sleep in peace. If his ears are healthy, he'll handle the pressurization changes just fine. If not, he'll cry and that opens the ears pronto.

I always did a quick ped visit right before leaving. I flew with mine each at 4 months, which was a really good age. They were past the newborn fog, I was long recovered from the births, they weren't yet crawling or eating solids... it was never so easy again!

Our ped slightly adjusted the vaccination schedule per our visits. I did fly with a toddler who broke out in chicken pox a few days after arrival (the vaccine was not yet available for healthy children here in France) so as the example above, I probably did take an infectious child on the plane. It wouldn't have been a problem if he had played with an American child (since they're vaccinated) but he could have spread it to someone of another nationality, on the plane.

I never intended to do that but chicken pox does the rounds here in France all the time.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've heard that if not feeding, at least giving a pacifier helps for take-off/landing.

BTW, it's "she," not "him"
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
I've heard that if not feeding, at least giving a pacifier helps for take-off/landing.

BTW, it's "she," not "him"
If she's asleep then don't wake her up just for take off and landing
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It all became a moot point when we indefinitely postponed the trip after she was born (a week ago). We'll see if/when we can fly.

She suffered lack of oxygen at birth and is in the NICU for now (though doing much better thank God).
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
It all became a moot point when we indefinitely postponed the trip after she was born (a week ago). We'll see if/when we can fly.

She suffered lack of oxygen at birth and is in the NICU for now (though doing much better thank God).
Oh no! Best wishes to you and your family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.