Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

American teens and alcohol in other countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American teens and alcohol in other countries

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by ChangingNappies
But in most (some?) US states/counties/cities teens can still drink at home and/or under parental supervision, right? Wouldn't that be the same?
Yes, but it's relatively uncommon. My home state of Wisconsin allows anyone to drink with parental permission but goes uniquely farther and even allows under-21s to drink in a bar with their parents. Normally this is not OK, and in some states you'll actually get prosecuted for trying to sneak your 19-year-old a beer.

I always have to laugh at the national campaign of billboards and posters telling parents not to buy alcohol for their kids and threatening punishment. Every time I'm back home and see one I wonder if whoever paid for it realizes that it's not even illegal. (In fact, hosting a "teen drinking party" is legal--and was quite common when I was a teenager--if you have the guests' parents' permission. I'm told by older friends that before we were forced to raise the drinking age to 21, it was even less of a big deal.)

That said, again, we're the exception. In a number of states you can catch a felony for buying your 20-year-old a six-pack.

(And yes, relevant username )

Last edited by der_saeufer; Oct 27, 2015 at 6:38 am
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Alcohol is a bit like prostitution. It's a vice. It's going to happen no matter what barriers you try and put around it, so better to have it under some form of control, rather than forbidding it outright.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Alcohol is a bit like prostitution. It's a vice. It's going to happen no matter what barriers you try and put around it, so better to have it under some form of control, rather than forbidding it outright.
And we should let kids do both?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:39 am

Wisconsin is not alone. In Texas, it is legal for minors to consume beer and wine in establishments when given by their parents as well. They cannot order it or be served, but Mom & Dad can and let them have it legally.

I have never seen it abused.

John
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Wisconsin is relatively special in this regard, even relevant to Texas.

Originally Posted by roberino
If you were to refuse to let your kids have alcohol in a foreign country where it is legal for them to do so then they'd just find a way to sneak out and get it anyway, and then they'd be out of your supervision while getting drunk for the first time. Better to let them do it in a controlled, observed manner.
While I am certainly of the opinion that a clearer channel of communication about the actual behavior of children is very useful to try to manage for potential problems related to indulgences of various sorts, I've also seen parent-facilitated alcohol consumption be a major contributor to the same "supervised" children getting plastered or even having other alcohol consumption related problems.

I'm pretty sure that surveys conducted in some upper midwest states showed that children who were provided drinks by parents in high school were also more likely to be users of more strictly controlled substances (say marijuana for example) in college than their college-attending peers who were not provided alcohol by parents.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgiarc
To what extent is an 18/19 year old under your supervision or do they require your permission for such things anyway? I understand you may be paying for the trip and even for the drinks, but isn't deciding what to drink and complying with applicable laws a matter for them, whether at home or abroad?
I'm talking about a 16 year old, which is legal drinking age in many countries.

So far she has not demonstrated any desire to sneak out and party at home, and I seriously doubt she'd do so in Santiago. She's a bit timid about venturing out alone in urban areas in the US, even though we've pushed her to be more adventurous.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:47 pm

When my son was 14 we went to Italy where we were served several limoncellas after dinner. We got lost going back to the hotel and wandered for blocks eventually ending up in an archaeological dig. He is now 28 and this remains one of his all time favorite memories from our travels. So I vote for the occasional adult beverage.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

She tasted a bit of the husband's wine at pretty much every meal and developed some decided opinions along the way. No sign of it having harmed her yet.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
In all likelihood, it will have benefitted both her health and outlook on life!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
I believe strongly that a lot of our problems with alcohol in America (particularly with binge drinking and young people) stem from the Puritanical attitude toward alcohol as a forbidden fruit, coupled with the Anglo-American tradition of treating drinking-to-get-drunk as an activity in and of itself, rather than alcohol being a complement to food or conversation or whatever.
+1

Originally Posted by themicah
I want my kids to learn by both my example and their own experience that alcoholic beverages can be enjoyed responsibly as part of a dining experience or casual social experience, and that binge drinking--not alcohol itself--is the bad thing.
My kid is 16 now. Just as I wouldn't dream of handing over the car keys without teaching him how to drive first, I won't send him off to college with an education in liquor and responsible behavior with alcohol. My Dad raised us on "learn about drinking at home" and from the time I was little I could have a taste of his drink at home. He used to say "Taste it now and that way you won't make a fool of yourself in public." He also talked to us about responsible drinking, as I talk to my kid about it.

Want your kid to behave responsibly with alcohol? Model the behavior, teach and discuss on a regular basis and you've got a chance at it.

p.s. to the OP's question: I believe in following the law where you are. If my legal aged teen wanted a glass of wine in Italy, I would allow it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.