Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Not declaring 2nd child / smuggle infant into Hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not declaring 2nd child / smuggle infant into Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by raph
Well... I'm not saying your translation is wrong, but it's not necessarily right either.

I indeed do not respect rules that were put in place because of IT Limitations, or just in order to try and create a standard that doesn't work and apply for everybody.

Marriott's Booking Engine for example only allows to select "X Guests/Room", and I'd suggest that it does make a big difference if a guest is 6 Months, 2 years, or 40 years old.

If the hotel is able to cater to three adults (provide an extra bed) AND babies in general, then common sense tells me that it can cater for two babies instead of a third adult. I may not expect them providing two cots free of charge, or any special treatment - but certainly not to be kicked out / refused service either.

Fortunately that has proven true in my case, as explained by the Hotel's Reservation Manager.

Anyway, I asked the property, got the answer I wanted (and if I didn't, they wouldn't have gotten my business) - so this is really a non-issue.
You wrote a whole lot, but your post can be summed up in your own 6 words:

I indeed do not respect rules
"Common sense" as you choose to call it, often has nothing to do with occupancy rules. For example, in the Netherlands there are very strict fire safety laws and those determine hotel occupancy. I learned that booking our first family trip there, when 4 different hotels gave me the same story about why they had a strict 2 person limit to their rooms, and it didn't matter if the 3rd person was tiny. Don't assume IT limitations are what is behind the rule unless you have detailed knowledge of local laws.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
You wrote a whole lot, but your post can be summed up in your own 6 words:

"Common sense" as you choose to call it, often has nothing to do with occupancy rules. For example, in the Netherlands there are very strict fire safety laws and those determine hotel occupancy. I learned that booking our first family trip there, when 4 different hotels gave me the same story about why they had a strict 2 person limit to their rooms, and it didn't matter if the 3rd person was tiny. Don't assume IT limitations are what is behind the rule unless you have detailed knowledge of local laws.
About the time I think US laws are absurd, I'm reminded that plenty of other countries ignore logic. I would love for the Netherlands to explain why two rooms are needed for lets say a husband and wife with a 6 month old.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Well... I'm not saying your translation is wrong, but it's not necessarily right either.

I indeed do not respect rules that were put in place because of IT Limitations, or just in order to try and create a standard that doesn't work and apply for everybody.

Marriott's Booking Engine for example only allows to select "X Guests/Room", and I'd suggest that it does make a big difference if a guest is 6 Months, 2 years, or 40 years old.

If the hotel is able to cater to three adults (provide an extra bed) AND babies in general, then common sense tells me that it can cater for two babies instead of a third adult. I may not expect them providing two cots free of charge, or any special treatment - but certainly not to be kicked out / refused service either.

Fortunately that has proven true in my case, as explained by the Hotel's Reservation Manager.

Anyway, I asked the property, got the answer I wanted (and if I didn't, they wouldn't have gotten my business) - so this is really a non-issue.
As people have already said, in some jurisdictions there are strict occupancy limits for hotel rooms. If these laws don't have exceptions for children, the hotel has no choice but to obey the regulations, which would mean that your family could not stay in such a room.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As people have already said, in some jurisdictions there are strict occupancy limits for hotel rooms. If these laws don't have exceptions for children, the hotel has no choice but to obey the regulations, which would mean that your family could not stay in such a room.
Unfortunately more often than not this is just one of those excuses used by front desk either due to lack of knowledge or lack of empowerment or lack of interest to help.

Even here on ft i am yet to see where the 'fire code' restriction is actually applicable and what the law states.

In my personal experience with many hotels that do not allow >2 ppl/room in their booking engine, bringing kids is not a problem especially with existing bedding (several told me that there were simply no space to put a cot or a crib).

I would escalate any front desk reference to 'fire code' or similar occupancy nonsense to someone more senior to confirm.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:08 am

azepine00 - first of all, I appreciate this is an old post.
It may be different for you in the States, but as far as the UK is concerned you are way off the mark.

As an ex senior member of the hotel team I was involved with annual inspections every two years with the Fire Inspector. His report would tell us maximum occupancy of each area of our hotel (including meeting rooms, F&B and Leisure areas). Once this was confirmed and certified, we DRUMMED it into all of our front facing & selling teams. Yes, we turned people away who thought it was OK to turn up with an extra person thinking we wouldn't mind - even if they had pre-booked for just 2 adults. The complaints at the front desk or even on Trip Advisor were nothing compared to the consequences of loosing a person due to a fire, especially if we had no record of that person being in our building.

In the UK, you also have to declare available space in the room in the event of an evacuation, hence you are not legally permitted to add an additional bed/cot in the room.

So, before you start accusing front desk staff of using this a "lame excuse" you need to read and read again what CDT Traveller has posted.

The parents who sneak their child into a hotel without informing anyone is irresponsible. If that child died in a fire.... who does the blame ultimately lie with?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taylorhmct
.. If that child died in a fire.... who does the blame ultimately lie with?
I was going to reply up untill your post reached that point...
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:45 pm

It may be different for you in the States, but as far as the UK is concerned you are way off the mark.

In the UK, you also have to declare available space in the room in the event of an evacuation, hence you are not legally permitted to add an additional bed/cot in the room.
So what? We travel to the UK very frequently. US based reservation systems and agents often have different occupancy numbers then the ones in the UK. E.g. if I go online or call Marriott it will not allow a roll-away. When I call Marriott UK they do. This is extremely common.

The systems are not synced.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by erik123
So what? We travel to the UK very frequently. US based reservation systems and agents often have different occupancy numbers then the ones in the UK. E.g. if I go online or call Marriott it will not allow a roll-away. When I call Marriott UK they do. This is extremely common.

The systems are not synced.
OK, there is no need to be rude.

In the UK, many hotels are heavily reliant on third party websites (such as Booking.com) and some of these websites are not technically set up to be able to accept adults and children. This also includes hotels own website. A CRS may operate with the GDS (which is extremely antiquated) for thier group of hotels which is a different system from the hotels PMS. This may explain some of the reason you will get a more accurate information by contacting the hotel directly.

Unfortunately, whilst hotels will spend huge amounts of money on customer facing services, quite often they skimp on internal hotel technology.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
OK, there is no need to be rude.

In the UK, many hotels are heavily reliant on third party websites (such as Booking.com) and some of these websites are not technically set up to be able to accept adults and children. This also includes hotels own website. A CRS may operate with the GDS (which is extremely antiquated) for thier group of hotels which is a different system from the hotels PMS. This may explain some of the reason you will get a more accurate information by contacting the hotel directly.

Unfortunately, whilst hotels will spend huge amounts of money on customer facing services, quite often they skimp on internal hotel technology.
The response was not rude in any way, shape or form.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The response was not rude in any way, shape or form.
I politely disagree. To start your response to me with "so what" appears slightly condescending. It may not have been your intention but thats how it came across to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.