Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Do any of you travel with young kids?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do any of you travel with young kids?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Right after potty training was harder than the mid to late diaper stage - there isn't necessarily a restroom available when your kid announces he has to go RIGHT NOW.
Indeed. I learned after my son contaminated my favorite water bottle to always travel with empty disposable plastic bottles, because when they say they have to go, whether the seatbelt light is on or not, they mean it.

I don't know what we're going to do after we potty train our daughter though...
Old May 28, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
For us, it was all about stages of development, not age. My kid started walking at 9 months, which made the trip to the Canadian Rockies the following month a lot more challenging than anticipated. Traveling with a breast fed baby is far easier than a bottle fed one. Right after potty training was harder than the mid to late diaper stage - there isn't necessarily a restroom available when your kid announces he has to go RIGHT NOW.

When my kid learned to read, about age 5, that also made travel easier - he could involve himself more in what he saw, and participate more in planning. He could also entertain himself for decent stretches of time.

Now he's a teenager and all bets are off. But fortunately so far he has retained his love of museums, which continues to be a mutually enjoyable activity.

p.s. the $10 umbrella stroller for travel was one of our best purchases ever. Got a net bag for the handles, and never looked back at the full sized stroller.
Agree that the stages made a big difference - definitely tradeoffs (no naps means you can do more, but also means that the parents are more tired), etc...

JR had just started sleeping through the night before our first trip to Asia, had just been potty trained before a vacation in Whistler (he needed to relieve himself on the Peak-to-Peak gondola and was no longer in diapers), so it's always something new.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
The $10 umbrella stroller is a priceless worthwhile investment. Cannot more highly recommend it.

Also useful, is setting up a couple of babysitters the first day for a couple of hours, at a rate you are comfortable with. This way, if we find a babysitter we like and trust, we can use them again. If not, we can pay them for a couple of hours and send them on their way.

I've had great experiences in New York, LA, Hawaii, Florida with Care.com and with, if you can believe it, Craigslist in Tokyo and Hong Kong. (Found amazing US college students looking for extra work in both countries).

I find staying in the same city for longer is best with very young children.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:59 pm

Our twins were born in March 2014 at 29 weeks old - we weren't allowed to travel with them much until after flu season; however, we did drive them to Chicago for a long weekend (they did great on the drive! slept the whole way ~3 hours).

In February at ten months we flew them to Orlando and visited Disney World. We booked a flight at 10:40 out of Chicago, woke the kids up at 5:30 and drove them straight to the airport (3 hours). They slept the whole drive. We were TSA precheck so security was a piece of cake. We use the City Mini Double Stroller and gatechecked the stroller. We booked three seats for the four of us so we would have the extra room; however, both kids stayed in our laps for the entire flight- they slept most of the way actually.

The trip was great- WDW is set up very well for kids- we stayed at the Beach Club which is walking distance from EPCOT and DHS. My mom didn't fly down with us but she joined us about halfway through the trip. We found sit down meals were much less stressful than quick fast meals because the kids could sit in their high chairs and eat and we could enjoy our meals more.

Then for their first birthday we flew them to San Francisco to meet some family. For this trip we booked them each their own seats and used the Chicco Cortina Together Double Stroller to which their car seats attached. This time we flew out of MLI through ORD to SFO. We preferred the direct flight with the drive to flying out of our local airport because it was easier to set their schedule; however, they did great on these flights as well. They stayed in their car seats most of the trip and played with some new toys we had gotten them for the trip. Our little girl did need to be walked back and forth down the aisles several times.

We have several more trips planned with them: June 2015 Atlanta for wedding, July 2015 Chicago again, August 2015 Minneapolis and Chicago for weddings, September 2015 Maine for wedding, November 2015 Orlando again, March 2016 Dominican Republic for a wedding and Florida beach, considering a European or Asian (Berlin or Tokyo/Seoul) trip in the fall.

I want my kids to grow up knowing that the world is a diverse place and even though they won't remember, I already have countless memories of them in these places that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I'm lucky that my parents love to travel too and are happy to come along for some of our trips and help with the kids, but even when we go just the four of us we have great trips!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
We travel with our kids as much as we can. We have a 4.5 year-old and a 2.5-year-old. Our first trip was when our oldest was 3 months old, to Chicago, off-and-on for 6 weeks, starting in November and going through January. (My husband was there for business.) Brr! We didn't get out all that much some weeks! But we still had a nice time there and even celebrated Christmas there.

Regarding strollers, as others have mentioned, besides a couple that fold up as small as backpacks, as a rule, they're gate checked. I have the Uppababy G-Lite, which is a lighter version of the G-Luxe with a few less features. It's a great stroller and great for travel, imo. I do gate-check mine. I am less concerned about it getting damaged, as I got a screaming deal on it. For a more bullet-proof but still light-weight stroller, I would not think twice about gate-checking the Babyjogger Citymini. It's still relatively lightweight at 16 lbs. (The G-Lite is 8.8 lbs, iirc.) #strollergeek We have both and have traveled extensively with both.

Another important note about strollers: American Airlines has restrictions on what strollers can be gate-checked. It has to fold compact, and it has to weigh less than 20 lbs. The G-luxe should be fine.

And one last thing: For infants, a snap-n-go or equivalent is the way to go if you are bringing an infant carrier car seat onboard. It is super convenient.

My preferred carrier for wearing my babies was an Ergo.

Car seats: I liked the infant carriers as long as they fit in them. Then, we graduated to the Cosco Scenera. It is super lightweight. We could easily hook it onto the stroller handle and zoom through the terminal. It also fits through the xray conveyer belt machine at Security. If you have a baby that isn't huge (mine were huge), the Coccoro car seats are great. They are also lightweight but are a little more comfy. They are outgrown sooner, though.

Luggage: We use the Briggs and Riley rolling duffel. We actually have two of them. For longer trips, my husband and I fill up one, and the boys get the other. We also have two B&R expandable 22" rollaboards that we can use in some combination with the duffels as needed. Watch those weight limits. It's easy to go over the 50 lb limit when packing for a family.

Travel Crib: We like the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Lite. There are some other options out now, but this one is still among the favorites. It sets up in seconds, essentially just popping open. Loved it. Protip: There's room in the case to stash some heavy, compact items. I would shove packs of baby wipes in there, to avoid having to pack them in the duffels, where we might easily go over the limit with stuff like that in there. There is also room to stuff a small blanket or a baby monitor -- and the mattress and crib frame will protect the monitor well.

Lodging: Our preference is to stay in places where there is a separate bedroom for us and kitchen facilities. It may not be as important when you have an infant (assuming they're a decent sleeper), but once they're a little older it's much nicer to have your own space where you can go while they sleep. We like Homewood Suites best, because they serve a full dinner during the weeknights, along with breakfast daily, they have laundry facilities, and the kitchens are nice. We also like vacation rentals (through VRBO/HomeAway/AirBNB). These can be a tremendous value, and you'll often have a washer and dryer in your rental. In Manhattan we like Affinia Hotels. LOTS of space for the same price as a hotel room. For stays that are several weeks, you may also have luck using a corporate apartment service.
Another option we have used and liked: KOA Campgrounds. Many have cabins available for rent. We stayed in one that had a perfect little pocket bedroom for our older son, a common living/dining/kitchen area with a bathroom off of it, and then a separate master bedroom. There was a pool, playground and laundry facilities on-site. We even had a picnic table outside and a fire pit. Our son loved watching the RVs come and go. Some RV parks can be sketchy, but KOAs are usually pretty good. You can read reviews on TripAdvisor or whatever to scope it out.

Other thoughts:
Getting a Children's Museum membership is great, because most have reciprocity with each other, and you can have access to museums across the country for free or at a big discount.

Precheck is invaluable when traveling as a family. We also have Global Entry for the four of us. We have only used it once so far and without success, though. Our 2.5-year-old was enrolled when he was 3 months old, and evidently his biometric data didn't get into the system properly, so we are going to need to get that straightened out. The Immigration official working the kiosks let us know that it happens pretty regularly to families attempting to use the system.

Oh- We also have really gotten a lot of use out of the Admiral's Club kids' lounges. Soooo nice to be able to chill out in them during connections. Usually they're not very busy, so it's a nice, quiet place to nurse. It's frowned upon, but I have even seen many families change diapers in them (and it doesn't bother me at all; do what you've got to do. If you do change a baby in there, though, be prepared to pack out the used diaper. There are not adequate wastebins for that kind of thing. ).

And on that note, FAMILY RESTROOMS ARE THE GREATEST. Just about every airport has them. They are frequently occupied at some airports. They are bigger and can accommodate your stroller, and everyone can take care of business at the same time making things much more efficient.

That's about all I've got. Well, I could go on, but I'll stop here.

happy travels!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Great post! I just had to single this out:

Originally Posted by swise
And on that note, FAMILY RESTROOMS ARE THE GREATEST. Just about every airport has them. They are frequently occupied at some airports. They are bigger and can accommodate your stroller, and everyone can take care of business at the same time making things much more efficient.
I couldn't agree more!

Some airports really take this to the next level... SFO is the best that I've seen... just glorious. Hats off to them for providing wonderful, comfortable facilities.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Babies are easiest because you are in charge - with toddlers it gets harder when they want to walk and you need them in stroller. You can also take babies out for dinner and they often sleep so you aren't eating at (what for Europeans) seems like middle of afternoon.

I have mixed feelings about taking special teddies along - on the one hand "of course this is your bed, it has your teddy in it" and on the other the risk of it getting lost. We had a lego duplo man who travelled with us for years (way beyond him being played with because he had been with us form our first transatlantic trip when our son was 9 months - he's now 16).

We travelled from UK to US at least once per year when our children were little and then went to SE Asia when they were 3 & 5. We're now (they are 14 and 16) off to New England again as they really don't remember Boston (they were 18 months and 3) having done New York last summer.

Big tips are carry snacks and drinks, don't board flight in pre-boarding (although if there are two if you one of you might do that with all the stuff) but let them run around for as long as possible esp if they are going to be strapped in for 12 hours.

For toddler seat back TV is a godsend (but discuss in advance how long they can have - my then 5 year old son watched the incredibles three times en route to Malaysia and didn't want to sleep).

We tried drowsy antihistamines to hep with jetlag (discussed with pharmacist) but it didn't work for him.

Strollers are essential (even for children who don't need them normally - we bought one in Times Square Toys R US because our 4 year old was just too tired with all the walking) but don't take a good one as they get broken by airlines.

Car seat are cheaper to by and take with you than hire - we've bought them and then abandoned them on way home.

We found changing hotel every two nights didn't really work so we did less touring and more two or three places in a two/three week trip.

Don't save money by renting a two door car - the extra for a four door is always worth it.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM. OnePass
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Indeed. I learned after my son contaminated my favorite water bottle to always travel with empty disposable plastic bottles, because when they say they have to go, whether the seatbelt light is on or not, they mean it.

I don't know what we're going to do after we potty train our daughter though...
Take a small stash of toddler/pull up panty-diapers. Ask your daughter to wear them in situations when you cannot guarantee immediate access to a bathroom.
Usually when they are old enough to be potty trained they can understand the need for an occasional diaper. My daughters used to cooperate when asked nicely and with things explained in advance. By the way - the diaper was never actually USED, it just made everybody feel safe.
Enjoy your travels and your kids company, because that is what counts.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum

Don't save money by renting a two door car - the extra for a four door is always worth it.
Unless its a Camaro. Our 2 year old loved that car and still talks about "Daddy's Race Car." Surprisingly it was actually easier for him to just climb in between the two front seats that it is to put him in a Sedan. If only I could convince my wife we need one of these every time we travel...
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
We have 3 kids (the age difference between the oldest and youngest was 2 year and 51 weeks exactly). We have been travelled like crazy since the third one was born. He went on his first flying trip to Malta (before that car-trips to Germany and Denmark) when he was 4 months old, then he went to LA when he was 7 months old.....so on and on. I put in their flying record at openflights.org and my youngest one now is almost 7.

This is his flight record:
116 segments
278594 mile

There is nothing prevent you to travel with kids - you decide if you want to do it or not. I think people use kids as an excuse for a lot of things, including travelling. You can't expect to go fashion shopping in NYC with a baby, toddler, kid, but this world has a lot to offer. If you don't have the need to do it when you have kids, then you don't have force yourself to do it.

My MIL said the kids would be happy to be at home - yes they do but I don't. I'm happy to be able to get as far away from home as possible. So we decided to travel whenever is possible and the more we do it the more we learn from how to deal with kids abroad. A lot of FTers here have a lot of useful information.

The other day my kid asked me, 'How come I have never been to Finland? I'd like to see Finland because this is a country I haven't been to.' I told him that we'll probably get to Finland next month.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Unless its a Camaro. Our 2 year old loved that car and still talks about "Daddy's Race Car." Surprisingly it was actually easier for him to just climb in between the two front seats that it is to put him in a Sedan. If only I could convince my wife we need one of these every time we travel...
LOL

I am going to cite this post to my wife next time we have to rent a car... "we really should get the Camaro... the little guy will love it!"
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:26 pm

We've been travelling with our kids since they were around 8 months old. Mostly wonderful experiences.

I remember one flight, my twins were older than 2, so we had to pay for their own seat. They cried during the flight but weren't too bad. However, we got the evil eye from plenty of travelers who were pissed off at the noise. Others were the opposite... completely understanding and helpful.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The secret to traveling with young kids is flexibility. Schedule extra time at the airport and have a very flexible schedule at your destination. Don't try to cram a smuch in as you would with just grown-ups or older kids. If you take it easy, you'll probably find that they adjust to things like jet-lag faster than you do.

We have an 18 month old and an 8 year old, and didn't stop traveling for either child. I'm planning a trip to Paris next summer because our 8 year old daughter has always wanted to go.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
When I got divorced six or seven years ago I took my two daughters to Hawaii. They were four and six YO then. We had a three leg trip from MI each way, visited two islands, and stayed for 17 nights. The three of us were hooked on traveling together after that!!

Since then, I have taken my daughters to south Florida a couple of times, made two more trips to Hawaii, and one each to Costa Rica and Mexico. We have made memories of a lifetime and always look forward to our annual warm weather spring break vacation.

Don't let the age of your kids inhibit you. It is a little bit of work, but so worth it!!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
We travel everywhere with our kids.

And, if you'd like to join us for an upcoming Do at the Four Seasons Magic Kingdom in Orlando Nov. 28th-Dec. 6th, rate $299. shoot me a message. We'd love for you to join us. We've never created such amazing family memories than as at this resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.