Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

help! - first time travel with an infant!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help! - first time travel with an infant!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
Umm, are you not the "general public"? I have several children myself, yet I've never thought I was anything special simply because I was traveling with a child. Don't wait in line if you don't like it. Simply board last, problem solved, no line and you won't be holding everyone up in the aisle as you stow your gear.

What does her age have to do with anything? Sounds as if you are trying to insult her. I really doubt she "lectured" you about how to take care of a baby.

Did you need anything? If so, you could have rung the call bell.

Your responsibility to take care of your stroller. Buy a cover the next time.

Of course you had an entertainment system, you just didn't like it. And I agree, a lot of UA planes have terrible entertainment systems. I just bring my iPad.

Difficult to comment on, as you don't name aircraft. But, Asiana planes have a seat width ranging from 17.00 on A321 & A321, 17.2" on the A380 & 747s, 18" on 777-200, to 21" on A330-300. You can look the rest up. UA has similar seat width.

By "didn't find anything other than UA" do you mean, "UA was the cheapest option"?

Don't fly UA if you don't like them, but if you don't provide factual reports, your posts aren't helping anyone.
what factual reports would satisfy you? I talked about my experience flying United VS Asiana internationally! You doubt I flew United? I said Asiana allows family with children board before general public and I said Asiana would put a green plastic cover on stroller. I said United didn't and no early boarding.
So why you think Asiana should do what United does?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
what factual reports would satisfy you? I talked about my experience flying United VS Asiana internationally! You doubt I flew United? I said Asiana allows family with children board before general public and I said Asiana would put a green plastic cover on stroller. I said United didn't and no early boarding.
So why you think Asiana should do what United does?
It's unclear what you are trying to say here, but the poster you addressed was simply saying that a lot of your complaints are due to your own actions and are your subjective opinions of how you were treated (not providing a cover for your stroller, not asking FAs if you needed something, not bringing your own entertainment if you didn't like UA's admittedly terrible overhead tvs, etc.). No one has said anything about Asiana changing their policies.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Just be sure that the seats at the "front" with the arm rests that don't go up are not in an exit row as lap infants are not allowed in these rows and you will be moved when you board if you somehow manage to book one of these.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by swise
Originally Posted by MagicWok
I'm just curious, but why 'never' check a car seat as luggage?
The reason is that luggage handlers may be rough with the car seats, and this can result in them no longer being safe for use to protect a child in a crash. Car seats are designed to be discarded once in a crash, so if they suffer a blow from being tossed on the ground, for example, or luggage tossed on top of them, this would be equivalent to what they might suffer in a crash, and they would then be unsafe. The kicker is that there is no way to tell if the seat has suffered damage while out of your sight.

We're planning on doing the same just before our baby turns 2 in a couple months time. He's quite physically energetic and curious, but not that big, and we'll end up likely getting him a seat instead of him flying in our lap. The money savings for us are quite substantial if he flew in our laps - aside from that the thought of travelling 12 hours with him on our lap is already giving me headaches

I will probably want to check in a car seat as it's big and bulky, and is included in our baggage allowance. He'd be more comfortable in a 'proper' seat too.
Actually, kids aren't always all that comfortable in the adult-sized airline seats. They are used to traveling in their car seats, and at least in my kids' cases, they usually drift off to sleep in the first 30 minutes of the flight in their car seats. They don't really have a good way to sleep in a regular airline seat, unless it's lying on you, and then your mobility is significantly restricted (can't get up to visit the lavatory, can't lower your tray for a drink, snack, or to rest your ipad, etc.).

We have car seats we use for airline travel that are extremely lightweight but still meet all the safety standards. When our boys were younger, we used Cosco Sceneras. They weigh maybe 8 lbs. You can get them from WalMart for under $50. These days we use Evenflo Titan 65 seats, as our older kid outgrew the Scenera. I think they're around 10 lbs We just hang the seats, nested, off of our stroller handle using the tether strap. Easy.

The airline seat belt buckle is so easy to undo... With our toddler in his own car seat, I don't have to worry about any struggles getting him to keep his seat belt on, standing up in his seat, etc. It's business as usual, since he is used to being in his car seat and what that's all about.
The easy lap belt buckle is so true. My 1 year old loved unbuckling me! He thought those seat belts were the coolest thing. He will fly in a car seat for a long, long time.

It doesn't seem that many airlines do family preboarding anymore. We did have luck asking about it at the gate. I was very nice about it and unassuming. I'd say, "Will there be family preboarding, we will need to install a car seat?" Every time the gate agent said, "We don't do that anymore but you may board with group 1."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.