Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

How many days after birth can you take an infant on an international flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:21 am
Original Poster

I was wondering if it would be advisable to fly from LAX to ICN with a newly born infant.

Would it be okay health-wise?
Would it be better to fly business/first or economy?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
I was wondering if it would be advisable to fly from LAX to ICN with a newly born infant.

Would it be okay health-wise?
Would it be better to fly business/first or economy?
How many days old? I recall that some airlines won't let them fly before a certain number of days.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:28 am
Original Poster

also can you bring your own bassinet?
I just purchased this bassinet but it seems that airlines provide their own...

http://www.borndirect.com/product_image.php?imgid=2739

I assume my stroller, which is a full-size stroller below, cannot be taken onto the aircraft.

http://www.bob-jogging-stroller.com/...o-stroller.jpg
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
How many days old? I recall that some airlines won't let them fly before a certain number of days.
I was planning to take the infant and the lady about 3-4 weeks after birth.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I believe that should be ok. What airline? Perhaps someone can help if they know more specifics.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: United Plus
Most airlines require a baby to be at least a week or two old before they can fly. They'll even exempt this with a doctor's note. 3-4 weeks is well beyond that.

The health questions should be put to a pediatrician. Is this an adoption? If not, you have to take in consideration the health of the mother. Even when the birth went well, there can be small problems that would make flying not a very good idea like if the weight gain isn't good, allergic reactions to formula or breastfeeding problems. But the mother is more likely to have discomfort/problems postpartum than the babies, especially for a long flight like this.

Please don't bring such a bulky item on board the aircraft. The airline will probably require that you gate-check such a big stroller. For travel, it's better to have something more streamlined that folds down easily.

When I only had one baby, I used an infant bucket-style car seat with a stroller frame. You can also use a "travel system" (stroller with attached car seat). The only safe way to fly with a baby is to purchase a seat for him or her and use the car seat on board. Lap babies are allowed because commercial air travel is so safe that rarely does anything go wrong but lap babies aren't protected.

Some airlines have wall-mounted bassinets. These are convenient but not safety devices. The baby has to removed for take-off, landing, ground movement and in turbulence. A baby in a car seat can be left sleeping peacefully!

Is having the baby in Korea a possibility? That might be an easier solution for both mother and baby. Pregnant women can usually travel up to 36 weeks, or about 8 months, with a doctor's note.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Most airlines require a baby to be at least a week or two old before they can fly. They'll even exempt this with a doctor's note. 3-4 weeks is well beyond that.

The health questions should be put to a pediatrician. Is this an adoption? If not, you have to take in consideration the health of the mother. Even when the birth went well, there can be small problems that would make flying not a very good idea like if the weight gain isn't good, allergic reactions to formula or breastfeeding problems. But the mother is more likely to have discomfort/problems postpartum than the babies, especially for a long flight like this.

Please don't bring such a bulky item on board the aircraft. The airline will probably require that you gate-check such a big stroller. For travel, it's better to have something more streamlined that folds down easily.

When I only had one baby, I used an infant bucket-style car seat with a stroller frame. You can also use a "travel system" (stroller with attached car seat). The only safe way to fly with a baby is to purchase a seat for him or her and use the car seat on board. Lap babies are allowed because commercial air travel is so safe that rarely does anything go wrong but lap babies aren't protected.

Some airlines have wall-mounted bassinets. These are convenient but not safety devices. The baby has to removed for take-off, landing, ground movement and in turbulence. A baby in a car seat can be left sleeping peacefully!

Is having the baby in Korea a possibility? That might be an easier solution for both mother and baby. Pregnant women can usually travel up to 36 weeks, or about 8 months, with a doctor's note.
I see.
Thank you for the help!
I will be visiting an OBGYN this week to ask these questions.

Having the baby in Korea is not an option because we don't have a house there...
We do have a house in USA and in China but I want to avoid the local Chinese hospitals around my area if possible.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:15 pm

Back on topic - We flew 2 intercontinental flights with an almost 2 week old - was very easy and no health issues - in business and with a bassinet (in which she slept a lot).

I strongly recommend business, but other disagree. Asiana and KE seem to have bassinets in business - most US airliners do not - so it is best to check before you book.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
I think it's foolish to discount the published data of safety. The safest place for a child is in a car seat. The most dangerous is out of a car seat. So out of a car seat is the most dangerous place for a child. I cannot be more clear than that.

If you choose to take a risk because you do not want to pay for a seat, and put your child in the safest place, then that is your choice. You have decided to take the risk even in the face of published reports.

I find it sad that you make a point of defending your risk taking by calling other people names.
I'm fine to pay for a ticket but I guess I will have to fly in economy.
I might have my lady fly in the J or F and I just stay with the baby in K perhaps, since I definitely don't want to pay with cash or miles for baby in J/F.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the subject of the OP, there is a great recent thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-w-infant.html

We adopted our daughter, and she flew home with us at about 10 days old. Each airline has its own rules regarding how early you can fly, so you'll want to check before booking.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjque
On the subject of the OP, there is a great recent thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-w-infant.html

We adopted our daughter, and she flew home with us at about 10 days old. Each airline has its own rules regarding how early you can fly, so you'll want to check before booking.
How long was the flight?

In my case, there will be two flights from LAX to TAO (LAX to probably ICN first and then ICN to TAO) so i'm a bit concerned due to duration.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long was the flight?

In my case, there will be two flights from LAX to TAO (LAX to probably ICN first and then ICN to TAO) so i'm a bit concerned due to duration.
It was a connecting flight from GJT-PHX-SFO, so two pretty short flights. The flight will likely be pretty easy for you at just a few days old, since it is usually pretty easy to comfort them at that age. They really only want a few things at that age (sleep, food, diaper change, to be held), and it's pretty easy to figure out which it is and calm them. Just make sure you have plenty of diapers and, if you use it, formula. You'll want to make sure you have more than enough, as running out of either of those items could be a disaster.

We did another flight with our daughter at six weeks that was much longer - SFO-Hawaii. That flight was also a breeze, as we had a seat for her and she would sleep in her car seat.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 pm

I would get two seats in business on a carrier that offers a bassinet and that allows you to prebook those seats. The baby will sleep most of the time (fingers crossed).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:11 pm

Have you checked how long it will take to get a passport for the baby?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.