Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Complicated situation - Minor traveling with friends in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance (gold)/Flying Blue

Hello to all at FlyerTalk!

I have a complicated situation at hand regarding my son traveling with friends, and would appreciate help from anyone with knowledge on the matter.

My son is 15 and has double nationality: He is both a citizen of Brazil and of the United States. We are currently living in Brazil, and he would like to travel with a Brazilian friend (and his family) to the US and back (GRU-LAX-GRU).

Now, I know that in order for him to leave Brazil without his parents, he requires documents that prove we allowed him to leave without us. Now my question is, considering that he will be returning with his US passport (since the Brazilian one requires a visa), will he require any sort of notarized document allowing him to return to Brazil? And if so, how can we get this american document notarized in Brazil?

Thank you very much for the help in advance ,
MatFlyer.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Can't he just use his Brazilian PP to go back to Brazil?

I would suggest getting the notarized document written in both Portugese and English. You may want to include language giving the adults "medical power of attorney" so the can make emergency medical decisions until able to contact you via phone. It may be worth having a lawyer draw up the document so all nuances are covered and it is clear what you intend. Perhaps you could contact the US Consulate in São Paulo to get better information, since you live there.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by MatFlyer
Hello to all at FlyerTalk!

I have a complicated situation at hand regarding my son traveling with friends, and would appreciate help from anyone with knowledge on the matter.

My son is 15 and has double nationality: He is both a citizen of Brazil and of the United States. We are currently living in Brazil, and he would like to travel with a Brazilian friend (and his family) to the US and back (GRU-LAX-GRU).

Now, I know that in order for him to leave Brazil without his parents, he requires documents that prove we allowed him to leave without us. Now my question is, considering that he will be returning with his US passport (since the Brazilian one requires a visa), will he require any sort of notarized document allowing him to return to Brazil? And if so, how can we get this american document notarized in Brazil?

Thank you very much for the help in advance ,
MatFlyer.
Just be sure that your friends have a letter from you authoring the travel plans .
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Can't he just use his Brazilian PP to go back to Brazil?
Nope, he cannot. In order for him to leave the United States with a Brazilian passport, he must have a valid American visa. What he must do is show his American passport first, at which point he will be asked for his visa in order to enter Brazil. He must then show his Brazilian passport in order to explain that he does not require such visa, since he is also a Brazilian citizen. I have done this many times before with him, the difference is that now, instead of being with his parents, he will be with his friends.

Originally Posted by steppie
Just be sure that your friends have a letter from you authoring the travel plans .
Would this letter have to be notarized? Or is it okay if it just has a signature? If it does have to be notarized, where would this be done?

Thanks again!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:47 pm

Have you called the US consulate?
They should be able to advise you on appropriate documentation and I *think* they have a notary service.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by MatFlyer
Nope, he cannot. In order for him to leave the United States with a Brazilian passport, he must have a valid American visa. What he must do is show his American passport first, at which point he will be asked for his visa in order to enter Brazil. He must then show his Brazilian passport in order to explain that he does not require such visa, since he is also a Brazilian citizen. I have done this many times before with him, the difference is that now, instead of being with his parents, he will be with his friends.
Why does he need a valid American visa? Is this a Brazilian requirement or a US requirement? The reason I ask is because my daughter has tri-nationality, and when she comes to the US she enters on her US passport. She either leaves on her US or UK passport and the only question we get asked is "does she have a British passport" by the carrier, and when we turn up at passport control in the UK we just show the British one. Only once have we been asked by the UK if she has a US passport.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Why does he need a valid American visa? Is this a Brazilian requirement or a US requirement?
I'm sorry if I was misunderstood. What I meant was that, in order for him to get through only with a Brazilian passport, he would require a visa (since all Brazilians require visas in order to enter the US), however he does not have the visa as he is also American. However, if he was to only use an American passport, he would require a Brazilian visa for entry in to Brazil (which he does not have due to the fact that he is also Brazilian).

Thereby, I was curious to know whether he would need any American parental authorization, since he would exit as an American holding a Brazilian passport.

Originally Posted by mromalley
Have you called the US consulate?
They should be able to advise you on appropriate documentation and I *think* they have a notary service.
Good idea. I'll call them first thing in the morning (they're past opening hours as its pretty late here ). I'll ask them whether my son will need any documents/letters, and whether they have to be notarized.

Also I'll be sure to post back the answer in case someone else needs info on the same subject. Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
OK, got it. Take both passports and that should cover it but definitely check with each country consulate to see the documentation that they require. You will not be the first person to do this and I am sure they will have a process that is easy to follow.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Just an update, I've constantly tried calling the consulate but they wont pickup . I have to go there anyway in a week or so to renew my US passport, at which point I'll ask them about the documents and I'll take a letter (that way if he needs a notarized one I'll already get it then).

Anyway, thanks for the help guys! I'll make sure to talk to the consulate and I'll write a letter authorizing travel even if it's technically not required.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
I guess you have this resolved, but having friends who hold multiple passports, they would show their US passport when exiting the states, then put it away and only show the Brazilian passport at immigration in Brazil. There usually is not a requirement to show any other?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.