Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Insurance for international trip while (potentially) pregnant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

My husband and I recently booked a trip to visit his expat friend in Asia early next year. We are also planning on trying for our second baby this fall, a timetable we planned before we decided to go on the trip. We decided we were willing to take the risk of me being pregnant when we go, as it took us a long time to conceive our first child, and I had an easy and complication-free pregnancy. The furthest along I could be by the time of the trip would be about 20 weeks.

I'd like to buy trip insurance soon to cover our trip in case I am pregnant when we go, and happen to have any complications with my pregnancy that may interfere with the trip. If I buy it before I get pregnant, I assume it will not be considered as a pre-existing condition? Does anyone have any recommendations for companies/policies I should consider, or avoid? I looked at the pregnancy wording for two different policies by Travel Guard and Travelex, and both cover "complications" of pregnancy, but both specifically exclude "physician prescribed bed rest." I find it discouraging that a company wouldn't pay out if I can't go on the trip because my doctor told me I can't travel, regardless of the reason. Does this happen?

I'm also wondering if I should look into a "cancel for any reason" policy, because it seems that more likely than having a serious complication before 20 weeks, I would have something like severe morning sickness that would make the trip miserable, which is not covered. Or, there would be less fighting with the company if my doctor tells me I shouldn't go for a reason the company says it is not covered.

As a final question, right now we only have our plane tickets booked, and may not book lodging until after I plan to purchase the policy. Should I only declare the value of the airline tickets when writing the policy, or can I also build in extra for the estimated cost of lodging?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
You should definitely buy travel insurance and be sure to get the additional air evacuation to your medical treatment center of choice. I only have experience with TravelGuard, and when you fill out the form, they state this about the trip cost:

Trip Cost
Trip Cost refers to the total prepaid and non-refundable expenses already submitted toward the trip regardless of who booked the arrangements. This does not include estimated or anticipated costs that have not yet been paid.

You don't add the expenses you will have on the trip (food, lodging, etc.).

For cancel for any reason insurance, you have to buy the policy within a certain amount of days after paying for the trip.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Many policies, as you've found, won't cover pregnancy issues. Yes, if you cancel for a non-covered reason, they won't pay. "Fighting" about a non-covered reason not an issue because they won't even consider it.

I usually purchase policies from Travelsafe or Travelguard. In my state, to cover pre-existing conditions, I must purchase insurance within 21 days of the date I made the first deposit on the trip. The same requirement applies to "Cancel for any Reason". Also, "Cancel for any Reason" allows you to do just that; they don't care why you canceled. But, this coverage will only pay you back a certain percentage of your trip costs (depends on policy, some are as low as 50%), and there are requirements for when you are allowed to cancel your trip (a set # of days or hours before you are scheduled to leave).

Also, to have this coverage with a Travelguard, you must insure all of the costs of your trip, as they are incurred. Suggest you read policies carefully and call and discuss your concerns with an agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.