Community
Wiki Posts
Search

car seat regulations in EU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

car seat regulations in EU

I am interested in flying to copenhagen with my 3 year old, and am trying to determine what the car seat regulations are. I understand that on a flight regulated by the FAA, our son can use a car seat as long as it is FAA approved. However, the flight is an SAS from Newark to Copenhagen, so I believe that the flight will be covered under EU guidelines. Does anyone know what the EU guidelines are for car seats? Or does anyone know what SAS's regulations are for car seats? Thanks so much
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
This might help:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/SAS...es/infants.php
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:31 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
All it says on SAS's website is that the seat can be forward or rear facing
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:48 pm

My understanding is that if it's DOT/FAA approved, it'll be ok for EU use as well. US car seat regs are not lenient.

FWIW, when we went to Italy, I took our Chicco Keyfit 30 with us - used it in cabs to/from FLR.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:22 pm

You are going to have to contact the airline directly to determine what their requirements are. Here is the information from the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA):
Child Restraint Devices

Children under two years are too small to sit alone in a standard airline passenger seat. They must be secured by an approved "child restraint device" on EU airlines.

The most common method is the "loop belt" which is attached to the seat belt of adult holding the child on his or her lap. A number of airlines provide the option of using car child seats which are secured to an individual passenger seat.

EASA has also certified a dedicated aircraft child seat for specific aircraft types and currently in use by one EU airline.
We encourage the development of new types of aircraft child seats/child restraint systems by aviation equipment manufacturers and welcome new certification applications.

If you want more information about flying with child seats, please inquire about the terms and conditions with your airline or travel office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.