Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Buying Travel insurance for if illness strikes ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, PC Plat, Hertz 5*

Hi - we are based in the US. We have a trip booked in Nov/Dec for travel overseas. Non refundable air tickets including for our little toddler.

I want to now purchase trip insurance that will make us whole in case any one of us gets too sick to travel. The little one has been getting sick off an on and it would be a nightmare to travel for 20+ hours one way if that happens.

So question is, has anyone bought travel insurance and *used* it if someone gets sick ? And what do you submit - just doctors note ? Which company did you buy it from and were you happy with the result ?

I have bought the tickets on my amex gold premier rewards card but that does not seem to have trip interruption/cancellation benefits for air travel.

Thank you!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Yes, I have filed a couple claims with Travelguard when someone got sick and been reimbursed in full. The travelers must be able to travel the date you purchase insurance.

There is a form your doctor must complete correctly and it must state the traveler is too ill to travel. I wouldn't consider traveling outside of the country without it.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:44 pm

Travel insurance is tricky

Insurance providers and policies for travel can vary widely.

I was burned by not buying trip insurance AT time of my purchase of the main tour. I could not add it later from the tour provider (Globus). I bought Allianz via my travel agent. My Father got sick and had to visit a hospital in China and Allianz covered the costs by submitting the hospital bill.

I would caution that you should consult a travel agent re: insurance. It costs no more via a travel agent.

My travel agent was Kathy Doyle @ Travel Leaders:
https://www.travelleaders.com/travel...s.aspx?id=4403
or [email protected]
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:18 pm

My father had a heat stroke one summer while on vacation (visiting from Aisa to USA), and had to be hospitalized overnight for check-up. It would have been 10K if not for the insurance. Insurance paid 100% (submit Claim Form, Dr.'s note, etc.)

Highly recommend purchasing insurance.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:07 pm

I've looked into this before and it always seemed so prohibitively expensive that I just took the risk. (Of course I buy insurance in case of needing medical assistance overseas--but this is about trip cancellation insurance, right?)

What sorts of prices are you all paying for this? Say for 6K worth of airfare, ballpark?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

So I am curious if anyone has any experience with what kind of illness has prevented them from taking the trip. If my kid has an ear infection is that sufficient to activate the conditions ? this webpage seems to indicate that a bout of flu would not be enough...

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net...tion/sickness/
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The key is to buy the insurance you need and only that. There is no substitute for reading the policy word-for-word (boring as it may be).

You will find that there are no generic answers. Policies and their premiums differ by what you buy.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The key is to buy the insurance you need and only that. There is no substitute for reading the policy word-for-word (boring as it may be).

You will find that there are no generic answers. Policies and their premiums differ by what you buy.
this is all their brochure says:

TRIP CANCELLATION AND INTERRUPTION
The Company will reimburse the Insured a benefit, up to the
Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule or Declarations Page
if an Insured cancels his/her Trip or is unable to continue on
his/her Trip due to any of the following Unforeseen events:
(a) Sickness, Injury or death of an Insured, Family Member,
Traveling Companion, Business Partner or Host at
Destination;
(1) Sickness or Injury of an Insured, Traveling
Companion or Family Member traveling with the
Insured must be so disabling as to reasonably cause
a Trip to be canceled or interrupted or which results
in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a
Physician at the time of Loss preventing continued
participation in the Trip;

so it does not answer if an ear infection for an infant is considered a reason enough not to fly. My questions was if anyone here has used the insurance for this reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.