Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Fees for reward travel with lap infant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:00 am
Original Poster

I've been doing my research on different airline policies for reward travel with an infant in arms and I know those like Cathay are terrible, whereas AA or British are a little better.

What happens if you book a Cathay redemption with Avios or AA miles? For example, if I were to book Cathay trip using AA miles, would I need to pay the AA policy (10% of ticket, I believe) or would I have to cough up the 25% of the ticket that Cathay requires? It seems like a great way to avoid the Cathay fees if it's possible to book tickets using other one world programs that have better infant policies.

Any insights? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
My understanding (having read many threads, NOT based on personal experience) is that the airline policies are based on the airline booking the award travel.

However, even "10% of ticket" can vary wildly. Since you're not paying cash, which ticket will they use 10% of- the cheapest one available at booking, full fare, or...? I have also read of cases where it's 10% of base fare + all applicable taxes, fees, and fuel surcharges (i.e. that can be almost the same as paying for a ticket!).

BA seems to be the friendliest, since as I understand it, you can pay the 10% infant fare IN MILES (i.e. 10% of whatever you paid in miles). Not sure what happens with taxes/fees/etc then, esp. since BA tends to have a lot of those. But if you can use BA miles to book another oneworld carrier, it might be the best of all worlds!

You may also want to search the relevant forums (AA, Cathay, BA, etc) for terms like "award lap infant" as I know there tends to be more airline specific information there.

Finally, you don't say what kind of travel you're planning, but think carefully before taking a lap infant on any kind of long haul travel...it's a LOOONG trip with a kiddo in your lap, and esp. as they get older, you're going to want your own space.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to ft!
In your example ba will only charge 10% extra miles (but also yq as they do on most rewards)
Aa iirc will hit you with 25% of full fare on CX - there is an extensive thread on aa forum - please doublecheck there
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to you both! My husband and I have been travelling at the "beginner" points level for awhile and we're planning an addition to our family soon, so I'm trying to figure out which points to go after. I will double check the AA forum as mentioned, thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.