Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Chile with 2 kids under 4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Hi- We would like to go to chile with ours 2 kiddos, both under 4. We would like to go to Santiago for a few days and then to a resort for a few days (Beach, mountain or in lake district). Any suggestions for family resorts on the luxury/very nice category? Any family fun ideas in Santiago or farther afield? Many thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I've never stayed there, but my understanding is that Explora Lodges are the best of the best. BTW, I wouldn't waste too much time in Santiago unless you have a specific reason to be there. The natural beauty outside the city is what Chile's all about (as someone who has lived there and traveled extensively). I'd say it's worth a day or two at most.

Any chance Easter Island is in the cards? I was there for 4 days back in 2009 or so, and had a fun time hiking, seeing the moai, and off-roading in a 4x4 (there are no paved roads outside the main town, as I recall.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:53 pm

When are you planning on going? My recommendations might change depending on whether you are going in summer or winter!

I second the advice to get out of Santiago. It's really just another big city with lots of malls, cars, and pollution.

Our favourite family vacation in Chile was our trip to San Pedro de Atacama. We loved the Tierra Atacama, although our kids were a bit older than yours (6 and 8) when we went. They have family suites with separate bedrooms for the kids. It is all-inclusive, and because we had kids they basically assigned us our own travel guide and van for our hotel trip, rather than having to share with other guests.

We also loved Easter Island (Rapa Nui); the Explora is pretty spendy, but there are lots of nice cottages to rent as well that are quite reasonable. A lovely, relaxing holiday and the beach is fun (although the waves would be pretty rough for toddlers).

La Serena has a beautiful beach although can be a bit chilly in the mornings. We quite liked the Enjoy Hotel.

For the novelty of it, you could stay at the world's largest swimming pool. http://www.sanalfonso.cl/ingles/ It is very easy to get a time share rental outside of peak times (January/February).

The lake district is lovely - I would recommend staying in Pucon as there is lots of stuff to do within walking distance and the roads are often jam packed making it an ordeal to drive anywhere.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
If you're traveling in winter, I believe Portillo has childcare. It is on our bucket list.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

We are going in mid November! I would love to take them to a dude ranch type place. I don't want to have to drive more than 4 hours. Thanks for these suggestions! We were thinking Vina del Mar and around there for a few days and then the city for a few days. Thanks for all your help- any non ski mountain resorts would be awesome!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:52 pm

Hi ChicagoKat-

I discovered this thread from last year. We're headed to Santiago for a family wedding in Nov. with our two kids (ages 18 months and 3 at the time of our trip). We are going to extend our trip a bit so it will be 7-10 days.

I'm wondering if you would share your itinerary, lessons learned, etc. I'd be grateful for whatever info you can provide! Feel free to message me, if that's easier.

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.