Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Britax Marathon 70/Bulkhead

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Britax Marathon 70/Bulkhead

I tried searching past threads to get the answer to this question, but was unable to find an exact answer for the info I am looking for. This is the reason for the new thread. (I am new to these boards, please forgive me!)

We are traveling next month with our son, who will be 25-months by the time we travel. It is a 9-hour flight to Honolulu on a Boeing 777-200. (UA 219 to HNL and UA 218 on the way home). We have bulkhead seats in the center section of seats. We have flown bulkhead before with this car seat (Britax Marathon 70), with no issues. (It was a Delta flight, and I don't remember the plane type). I was recently given the advice to ensure that our car seat will fit on our United flight. The widest width of the car seat is 0.5 inches wider than the airline seat, and I know that the armrests will not raise.

My question is, does anyone know the height of the armrests? As long as the armrests are not as high as the widest part of the car seat, we will be fine.

Thanks for all your help! I didn't know about these boards until today (when googling bulkhead and Britax Marathon) and I am so happy I've found this site!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Welcome to Flyertalk. I am not sure about the width of the Britax but am sure someone will chime in here.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
We are Britax Boulevard owners, and I have a very strong suspicion that the immovable armrests will be a problem.

We ended up investing in a Cosco scenera for travel, since it's significantly narrower than the Britax and only weighs maybe 7 lbs (compared with 25+ for the Britax). One of the best $40 you'll ever spend, trust me

The main downside that I've heard people mention is that it's less "cushy" than the big car seats (Britax, Diono, etc.), so for a 9-hr flight, it might not be as comfortable, but our LOs have sat in them for tens of thousands of flight miles and not complained....
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi icedancer - interestingly, the width of the carseat you mentioned might be wider than my Marathon! Walmart.com indicated it was, but other websites had other dimensions. All the sites I looked at had different dimensions actually... I will have to look into that option though if our Britax is truly too wide.... I took the measurements off the Britax website, but need to actually measure the seat itself. It's possible the widest width is actually the top (body) portion of the carseat, and not the sides where DS sits. We trust our Britax, and would prefer to use that in Hawaii....

thanks for the response!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also check to see if there are airbags in this bulkhead. You may not be able to sit there, if so (even if someone says it's OK - some car seats - e.g. the Graco Snugride - do not function with the seat belt if there is an airbag attached).
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjque
Also check to see if there are airbags in this bulkhead. You may not be able to sit there, if so (even if someone says it's OK - some car seats - e.g. the Graco Snugride - do not function with the seat belt if there is an airbag attached).
Wow.. I never knew that airplace had airbags! I had to do some research on this! The plane we will be on has not yet been renovated (still in the old configuration from the 90s), so I have my doubts that it has airbags. I did read that if you get a seatbelt extender for the airbag belts, it deactivates the airbags. Thanks for bringing this up; it helps me to be prepared for any bumps in the road. ^
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sevenwonkas
Wow.. I never knew that airplace had airbags! I had to do some research on this! The plane we will be on has not yet been renovated (still in the old configuration from the 90s), so I have my doubts that it has airbags. I did read that if you get a seatbelt extender for the airbag belts, it deactivates the airbags. Thanks for bringing this up; it helps me to be prepared for any bumps in the road. ^
That's right - the airbag deactivates with the extension, but the extension does not work with at least one carseat (the Graco Snugride 35). It's possible that the extension will create a problem for other carseats, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.