Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Fixing a rf car seat in aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fixing a rf car seat in aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
There is another thread for this.

For US carriers, the FAA specifically states that rear facing seats should be used for infants
Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using a CRS. FAA recommends that a child weighing:
Less than 20 pounds use a rear-facing CRS
From 20 to 40 pounds use a forward-facing CRS
More than 40 pounds use an airplane seat belt
A child may also use an alternative, such as a a harness-type restraint, if it is approved by FAA. FAA has approved one restraint appropriate for children weighing between 22 and 44 pounds. This type of restraint is not safe for use in motor vehicles.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
This whole thing is a confusing mess for me. I need the car seat when I get to the destination. Help!
Looking at the FAA it says less than 20lbs use a rear facing seat. I will be flying with an infant less than 20lbs. So, I can use the normal car seat? That is what I am confused about. It is a Britax Chaperone and says it is certified for air travel. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: United Plus
Yes, those FAA "recommendations" are out-of-date. They allow rear-facing car seats for older children. But you don't have to worry about that-yet!

Is this it?
http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/chaperone

Double check the manual but I believe you install it on the plane without the base. Practice this before leaving in your car.

You might want to just leave the base behind if you wont be doing too much driving. One less thing to drag along...

Here are a couple of documents you might want to print up and bring along (assuming it's a U.S. company).
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviat.../InFO11007.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...%20120-87B.pdf
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:40 pm

Thanks for the info. Yes, that's the car seat. I didn't want to open the box if it couldn't be used on a plane. Unfortunately, there will be quite a bit of flying being done from 6 weeks after birth until who knows when.
I will practice before we start flying.
I know I'll be back with more questions as the time gets nearer. Thanks for all the info you provide.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by flsunshineflyer
Thanks for the info. Yes, that's the car seat. I didn't want to open the box if it couldn't be used on a plane. Unfortunately, there will be quite a bit of flying being done from 6 weeks after birth until who knows when.
I will practice before we start flying.
I know I'll be back with more questions as the time gets nearer. Thanks for all the info you provide.
Most of the European airlines do not allow any rear facing car seats to be used on the plane. US airlines do allow them on US planes.

There is no point in buying a car seat for use on the plane if the airline refuses to let he seat be usd. Check with the airline you will be flying.

I am flying the new grandbaby from the UK to US. To get a nonstop I chose Virgin because they provide a special infant/child seat when you when you buy a child fare. Virgin does not allow car seats in the cabin.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:44 pm

This whole thing is a confusing mess for me. I need the car seat when I get to the destination. Help!
Looking at the FAA it says less than 20lbs use a rear facing seat. I will be flying with an infant less than 20lbs. So, I can use the normal car seat? That is what I am confused about. It is a Britax Chaperone and says it is certified for air travel. Thanks in advance for any help!
The FAA is the regulatory body for the US (and probably North America). Europe has a different regulatory body and it's own rules and recommendations. Do not expect FAA regulations to cover non-American carriers.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
The FAA is the regulatory body for the US (and probably North America).
The FAA is just for the U.S. ... We have Transport Canada Civil Aviation "up" here.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:03 pm

All the flying should be in the US on US carriers. I will call the 2 potential carriers and ask about the car seat.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:13 am

Don't call, email them from their site. Only call the company when dealing with something solid like the reservations and taking care of something you can verify later (like seat assignments).

Don't call about general information, especially something that could be a problem at the airport.

Anything can be said over the phone while an email can be printed up and brought to the airport. Also, many companies have remote call centers and the information they give out isn't always accurate.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:57 pm

All the flying should be in the US on US carriers. I will call the 2 potential carriers and ask about the car seat.
Their policies will be spelled out on the website. This may be a bit tricky to find but is the best thing. That way you have a written policy to print out and show the agents and FA if there is any question.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 2:48 am

Some airlines are better than others when it comes to that information on the site but all U.S. companies have to accept FAA approved seats for children who have their own place on the airplane. The airline cannot refuse the parents to install the car seat and have to move them if necessary.

What isn't clear is whether over 20lbs. & 1 year old children have the right to rear-face on the aircraft. Under those parameters, they do.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:21 am

No issues at all with the rear facing seat. Not even a second glance. Definitely recommend buying them their own seat. We had our hands free to eat and were able to function normally instead of holding a baby for hours on end.
Was fairly easy to fasten the rear facing seat into the seat. The 757 domestic F seat was a little more difficult than the 767. The clicking part wouldn't move enough to get a secure (very, very tight) fit.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:40 am

No issues at all with the rear facing seat. Not even a second glance. Definitely recommend buying them their own seat. We had our hands free to eat and were able to function normally instead of holding a baby for hours on end.
Was fairly easy to fasten the rear facing seat into the seat. The 757 domestic F seat was a little more difficult than the 767. The clicking part wouldn't move enough to get a secure (very, very tight) fit.
^^^

Gald everything went well for you! One trick I've learned is to recline the seat back while installing the car seat. When you are done, put the seat back in the upright position. I get a very solid installation this way.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:03 pm

I'll do that next time. Thanks for the advice.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:04 pm

Had to get a seatbelt extender for flight yesterday. It was a domestic F 757-200. Seven row F class. First time I could not make it work. Before it was not a great fit, this time it just wouldn't reach at all. Seatbelt extender was great because it was an extremely tight fit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.