Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Travelling with very young babies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards

Hi, I am new to this forum, but probably will visit more, now I have 2 months old twins.
I'll have to travel from South America to Europe so that my parents can see the babies. Now it's probably too early, but I'll have to plan this ahead.
What is the best time to do this? If they are 3-4 months old, have to eat 3-4 times during the flight, if they are older probably will not sleep too much in the plane and require walk around... I see the bassinets can be used up to one year old. Intend to fly with Lufthansa, I understand theirs are the biggest?
I'm planning to go in August-September, or next spring to avoid very cold weather. Will most probably try get a business class ticket with miles and purchase another for money. Can get 2 economy with miles, but it will be less comfortable.
Thanks for any opinions.
Old May 29, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: United Plus
Hi and welcome,

Congratulations! Your twins are now 2 months old, right? You will be going in August or September so they will be at least 5 months old. Sounds like a good age to fly with them!

Will you be flying alone? If so, you will need two seats. You can't have two "lap babies" on an airplane. You need to purchase a seat for at least one of the babies and bring an approved car seat on board.

There is a thread on flying with babies in the premier cabins. We're kind of split on this board. Some of us feel it's better and more comfortable to have the babies in their own seats, even in economy. Others find it more comfortable to have a baby in their lap, in business.

You will be busy with two and the comfort level of the seats might be less of a factor and you wont be able to enjoy the "perks" in business, such as the movies and booze. You wont be able to leasurely enjoy your meal either! As a former Flight Attendant, I will say that economy is more "baby friendly" as far as your fellow passengers are concerned. You don't want your dual blessings crying in the ear of a stressed businessman or someone who has just had a really bad meeting with a client lol!

Bassinet size, for me, would not be a big factor in choosing which airline. Your FF program as well as the scheduling might play a role. Connect as little as possible (or avoid it altogether if at all possible).

Having said that, Lufthansa does serve S.America quite well!

So lots to consider. Good you're looking into this now. Start reading and let us know if you have any questions.

Here are my non-commercial flying tips;
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com
Old May 30, 2011, 4:19 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
At your babies age they are much easier to travel with then when they start crawling or walking. I personally think the worst age to travel with a baby is from a little less than a year until 2-2 1/2. You should check with Lufthansa to see if they will allow one adult to travel with two babies. I have read on a multiplies site that some airlines do not allow this because of safety concerns. Good luck with your trip.
Old May 30, 2011, 8:04 am

I agree with Catusa - before crawling is the best time. My son started crawling at 7 months and our air travel was awful for about 18 months. Too young to be reasonable, too "independent" to stay in his seat. (As a side note, I will be forever grateful to the NW flight attendant on our HNL-MSP redeye who took my horribly cranky 9-month-old from me and worked some sort of magic on him - I saw him 15 minutes later in the galley flirting up a storm with the FAs and she asked if she could hold him longer - I got him back 90 minutes later and he slept until we were about to land.)

I always bought seats for my kids because it was so nice to have them sit and have my hands free to read or eat or whatever. If you can swing 2 seats for the kids, I highly recommend it. If they are still small enough for the bucket car seat when you fly, that works well because you can string toys on the handle and keep them entertained even longer. If you nurse, I think it is easier when they're younger as well - less likely to pull the blanket off and flash the plane. I have never flown business with children so I don't know how well they'd do sleeping in those seats - I assume you will lay the seat as flat as it goes and have them both rest there?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
I would double-check the weight limit for the bassinet with your airline. I recall it is fairly low. A moby wrap or something similar will also make your trip easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.