Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toddler Food - What's Allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Thanks. Does TSA get paranoid that the formula powder could be a dangerous powder? I'm already accustomed to them using those little test strips with bottled breast milk, that we've used for flying in the past. I don't know if they test the formula powder with a similar device. I definitely cannot premake the formula powder to convert it into liquid before security since the formula has only an hour or so of "shelf life" when unrefrigerated.

We don't have any of those bottle liners (tried them once but they weren't workable for Dr Brown bottles). We use the plastic divider organizers for formula, so I could use them again.

I want to clarify about the water part - are you saying that we could have baby bottles holding water and bring them through security? That would be great as it would save 10 or so minutes after security. If they tried to confiscate it, would they just take the water part and not the actual baby bottle? Just checking.

Sorry, but paranoid rookie parent despite being semi-elite-status UAL flyer! So much is constantly new for me

Michael
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:14 am

Programs: United Plus
Hopefully a formula-feeding parent will chime in soon because only my oldest took bottles and formula.

Show the TSA agents what you have. If you have a water bottle (not baby bottle) and tell them that it's to mix with formula, they are supposed to let it through. If they refuse, the worst that will happen is that they will throw it away and you'll have to buy some more in the terminal but I understand this is not a big risk.

I don't think they're testing formula and that's allowed through. Does your formula come in individual packets? I would vote for that over those fiddly containers with dividers but anything that keeps you from having to measure anything on the plane...

Dr. Browns bottles are quite complicated and to be frank, would be hard to wash in an airplane lav. Hopefully, it's a short flight so you don't have to do that. Just make sure he takes it a room temperature so that you can feed him at any time (security, check-in, waiting for your bags, etc.)

Last edited by Eclipsepearl; Jan 21, 2010 at 1:26 am
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - I'll post about whatever happens later on in this thread regarding TSA.

I *love* Dr Brown bottles! I have a few dozen or so, and for this trip will only wash them in our hotel... no need to wash them in the airplane lav. Just like with diapers and wipes, there's no such thing as "too many" bottles in the household

And we only give room temp formula... never gave warm, so it's never been an issue. Like those wipe-warmers - since he's never had warm wipes, there's been no way for him to know that he's missing out!

Michael
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:29 pm

I too was wondering about having water in baby bottles when going through security. I must have done it before with my older son - but I don't remember. I'm thinking they will allow it because it is in a baby bottle. (Who is to say it isn't clear juice - which is allowed in reasonable quantities when you have baby/toddler.) I think they's be less likely to allow a water bottle through even if you say it is for baby. And having the water in the baby bottles you'd already be carrying - saves space (and I wouldn't have to worry about finding "room temperature" water from a vendor). Although bottles with liquid in them would have be pulled out of your bag to go through security (where empty bottles could stay in your bag).

I've definately taken powder formula through security (a few years ago), and there was no problem with it. I used one of those containers with dividers but I think those individual packets are a little easier to pack in your carry on bag.

Funny story...my brother is a fire fighter stationed at the airport. One time he was called to the airport to check out a "mysterious liquid" (or perhaps it was powder, I don't recall for sure). There was a trail of liquid through one of the halls or terminals. Turns out it was baby formula that must have been leaking from a bottle.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So in the GM line at SFO UA security, we just declared the water bottles and the security agent told us we could keep the bottles in our diaper bag. I mentioned about the formula powder and he said it was fine. His main concern was that I needed to take my laptop out of a "shared" tub (with the laptop case) and put it in its own tub.

We took awhile with all our gear, but the security people were very sweet about the situation.

I'll definitely just have the bottles pre-filled with water for our return home... and see how things go with PHX!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
It'll get easier with time.

We bring a couple bottles with the powdered formula pre-measured into them so all we have to do is add the water and shake. Plus I bring extra powder in either the packets or just a ziploc bag. I don't bother carrying water through - though sometimes if we're organized we bring an empty water bottle and refill it after security (this is for everyone - us, toddler and baby). Or just buy it. Once you're on the plane you can ask for water too.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:59 am

I've never had a problem.

I never brought a whole can tho. We bought those individual packets that Enfamil and Similac make. A bunch of them. Left it in the diaper bag. Never declared. Never questioned.

What we did have was a thermos of hot water to make the formula. Just declared that it was for the baby. Didn't have a problem either, altho it was a tiny thermos so not that much water. One TSA agent actually tested it. Another took it away from the general screening area and waved the stick near it but I think he just sorta faked it for anyone casually looking cuz he whispered to me "I know it's stupid since these (the sticks) don't really work, but I have to do it anyways."

These were CA airports, including LAX and SFO. Not sure how "strict" the CA airports are compared to other airports.

The funniest was Maui tho. We were leaving Maui and I had an unopened can of juice that I didn't get to finish by the time I hit security. I totally thought it was gonna be thrown away cuz I said it was mine, but the security guy just eyed me and said, "Let me repeat, is this yours or is ... this ... for ... the ... baby?" I'm slow, but I managed to catch that hint so I correctly said it was for the baby and he let me take it with me.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
We have never had a problem and we have twins, so twice as much of everything. They let us bring water, formula, etc. through. We travel frequently with them and find the TSA to be much friendlier when we travel with babies.

Mike
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:51 pm

Toddler Food - What's Allowed?

Goodness...I've been out of the loop for over a year. My daughter has flown with us twice before but both times were when she was an infant. We are flying to the Caribbean in a couple weeks (she's 20 months old now) and I'm wondering what's allowed from the liquid food perspective. TSA indicates that baby food and juice are OK but what about things like yogurt and apple sauce? Both are staples in my daughter's diet and I'm not sure I can find them in the airport once we clear security. Am I out of luck or can I bring them on board as long as we identify them at security? Any recommendations for other good staples to bring on board?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold
TSA has usually let me bring anything I wanted onboard as "baby food," including yogurt and applesauce. But it can be a bit of a crap shoot. In one place the TSA agent forced me to dump the contents of a bottle of water into a sippy cup in order for it to qualify. Just keep it reasonable in quantity and identify them at security as you've planned.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Two weeks ago TSA wanted to confiscate 2 8oz boxes of organic, shelf-stable milk because they thought the 32oz total I was bringing was too long for a 5.5 hour flight with a 23 month-old. I finally "bargained" them into keeping one of the boxes in exchange for dumping a sippy cup full of water that I had. Honestly, I don't understand why 24oz of milk is OK but 32 oz is not. This obviously isn't about fighting terrorism, just power trips.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by icedancer
Honestly, I don't understand why 24oz of milk is OK but 32 oz is not.
32oz of milk can be explosive! But they probably should have allowed it if you had just shown them you had enough diapers with you to accommodate said explosion.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:40 pm

The next statement to the TSO could be- Lets find out if your supervisor has small children, has traveled with them post 9/11, and can resolve my issue...
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
You should be fine as long as you have reasonable quantity with you. We recently flew with a few snack packs, water, milk cup - the works. TSA checked the liquids but didnt bat an eyelid on the solids.

But YMMV...
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by topcat_dcx
You should be fine as long as you have reasonable quantity with you. We recently flew with a few snack packs, water, milk cup - the works. TSA checked the liquids but didnt bat an eyelid on the solids.

But YMMV...
I agree...the key is reasonable quantity. One time without my knowledge, my wife packed a bunch of liquids for an hour flight from PHX to LAS...the TSA confiscated most of it. That was the only flight that the TSA confiscated liquids from us.

The keys are 1) putting all of the liquied for your child (or children) in one bin; 2) if questioned, be prepared to responded back with "our flight is four hours long, we are two hours early, who knows if our flight will be late sit on the tarmac for a few hours...our son needs to eat and drink"; 3) if initially rejected, be nice and ask for a supervisor...it has been our experience that TSA agents that are childless do not have a clue and a supervisor will approve your liquids IF is of reasonable quantity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.