Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long would Thrifty hold your reservation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
How long would Thrifty hold your reservation?

My flight schedule has changed, and I will be arriving at the destination airport about 6 hours later than my original plan.

I tried to modify the pick-up time, but Thrifty rate has already gone up more than $100.

How long would Thrifty hold my reservation? Would they wait like 6 or 7 hours? If I call on the same day and there was a delay, would they try to charge me more money?

Thanks.

Last edited by nydad; Jul 25, 2010 at 8:18 am
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Official corporate policy changed recently (within the last few years), and I can't remember the specifics (I get the old and new ones mixed up). But depending on where you are renting, it varies anywhere from two to six hours. After that, your reservation is effectively canceled. You do need to change your pickup time in order to guarantee availability. If doing so online results in a rate change, try calling the location directly and asking to change the time. If you can't get the direct number to the location, try calling the main reservaitons line and asking for a manual pricing override (ask for a supervisor if necessary).

I would not suggest simply showing up later without making arrangements ahead of time. I have seen many people turned away from the counter without a car in exactly the same situation.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: Almost all status expired. Hilton Silver. UA 0.8 MM. AA 0.6 MM.
I book my rental cars for 4-6 hrs after my arrival time.

They never complain about picking the car up 4 hrs early, but I've lost a reservation arriving late...
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I had a similar situation happen to me, due to both a mechanical issue as well as weather we arrived in MCO about 7 hours late. I called the office directly, explained my situation and he said no problem we'll have a car for you. Paid for a Ford Focus, left in a Chevy Tahoe.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:04 pm

he said no problem we'll have a car for you.

That could mean a number of things, often an upgrade from a smaller car reservation.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
he said no problem we'll have a car for you.

That could mean a number of things, often an upgrade from a smaller car reservation.
Very much was in my case.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: no status
So the other way round, if I don't show up to pick up my reserved car will there be a charge for not cancelling - like with hotels?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Merlin666
So the other way round, if I don't show up to pick up my reserved car will there be a charge for not cancelling - like with hotels?
Not for now. Maybe soon, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.