Wiki Posts
Search

Orlando airport stonewalls safety complaint

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Platinum
Thumbs down Orlando airport stonewalls safety complaint

On xxx, while riding on the courtesy bus to pick up my car at the Orlando off-airport location, the shuttle rounded a tight corner and a large unsecured baby seat fell off the upper baggage shelf and slammed into my head. Most of the customers on the bus saw this happen, almost saying in unison “owww.” But the Thrifty bus driver, [name removed], didn't even ask if I was OK, instead making a joke out of it ("at least there wasn't a baby in it"). Fortunately, I was OK with a bit of dizziness and a headache afterward.

I reported this to the on-duty manager, [name removed]. I wasn’t trying to make any personal injury claim. Instead, I wanted to speak with someone who was in a position to recognize that the baby seat should not have been that high without something holding it in place--for the safety of all customers. But [name removed] simply asked me to fill out an incident report—which I did—though [s/he] didn’t have much to say about why the baby seat was left so high without being held down. So I wrote a note on the top of the incident report, requesting that a manager contact me. However, no one from the Thrifty Orlando airport ever called.

Once I returned home, I tried to contact [name removed] asking for the name of the Thrifty Orlando airport manager, sending e-mails on xxx, xxx, and xxx. [S/he] never responded, nor did I receive an e-mail error message reply. So it looks like [name removed] received my messages but intentionally ignored them.

I’ve given up on any response from the Thrifty Orlando airport. I forwarded all of the information to Thrifty corporate in Tulsa. Hopefully they won’t stonewall as well.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 11, 2009 at 6:10 pm Reason: Per FT TOS, redacted names of non-upper-management employees
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:35 pm

Did it leave any marks on the head? I would write out a statement and also contact your doctor and get a paper trail going....
Old Jul 12, 2009, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by HNL2017
I forwarded all of the information to Thrifty corporate in Tulsa. Hopefully they won’t stonewall as well.
In my experience, they won't--but make sure you've sent the information to the correct place. I would call the Customer Care office directly to ensure they received your materials (their number is 1-877-283-0898, option 4). Their response time seems to be about 3 days, so be patient.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by HNL2017
I forwarded all of the information to Thrifty corporate in Tulsa. Hopefully they won’t stonewall as well.
Any update here?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Platinum
update from OP

To answer the question from the last post, Thrifty corporate has repeatedly told me this has been referred to the MCO location management and that I can soon expect a reply. That didn't happen. I relayed this back to Thrifty in Oklahoma on 7/22 and 8/18. Still nothing.

The lack of response from the MCO location management further illustrates its customer service problems. Consider this: how much effort would it have taken for the manager to have either called, written, or e-mailed with a simple apology. The management team could have told me that the seat should not have been placed that high and that employees have been briefed to be more watchful of such conditions in the future? That's all. Instead, the Orlando airport location continues to repeatedly ignore the report of an unsafe condition. I can't understand why they still won't respond even through Thrifty corporate has gotten involved.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Have you considered the Better Business Bureau? That's the next step I take with a company after the local branch and corporate office have both dropped the ball. You could even write threatening to take it up with the BBB; that usually nets a response.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:29 am

what a shame, sorry.

jmo, doubtful MCO thrifty location would even acknowledge the situation, to try & avoid any liability

now that they're in terminal @ MCO least it won't happen to anybody else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.