Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-Bangkok Airport Rail Link Discussion [PRE-2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:44 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tg911
Have not read through the whole thread so apologies if already mentioned.I don't understand why the Express line doesn't service makkasan as well.They could run a Express train every 20 minutes from Suvarnabhumi stop at makkasan then onto Phaya Thai the same for the trip back to Suvarnabhumi.Would improve waiting times and be more cost effective for the airport link as the express line to makkasan has very few passengers.
Did you just say that the Express line does and doesn't serve Makkasan?

I became impatient waiting for the Express at Makkasan, since it's only once every hour, but after having ridden the dang thing a slew of times, it's rarely crowded. No wonder its frequency was reduced.

However, was the fare slashed (again, for the third time?) too? 90฿ one way? That's good...for the consumer.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tg911
Have not read through the whole thread so apologies if already mentioned.I don't understand why the Express line doesn't service makkasan as well.They could run a Express train every 20 minutes from Suvarnabhumi stop at makkasan then onto Phaya Thai the same for the trip back to Suvarnabhumi.Would improve waiting times and be more cost effective for the airport link as the express line to makkasan has very few passengers.
This is currently not possible - the Express train was planned to terminate at Makkasan so the center tracks stop just to the west, and the Phaya Tha Express uses the local bypass (outermost or City) tracks, but once the tracks are re-configured west of Makkasan, a single Express train could service both Makkasan and Phaya Thai at 30 minute headways, maybe even 20 or 15 minutes?

There was a plan that once the pedestrian link was completed at Makkasan that the Express train would service just Makkasan, with increased frequency, until such time as the track reconfiguration could take place. Then a single express train could service both MAkkasan and Phaya Thai.

I haven't kept up to speed on any plans/progress.

The walk from the Petchburi MRT stop (exit #1, no signage) up to the CAT at Makkasan rises quite a bit - I've noticed a few folks slowly pulling their bags uphill. They are pretty hot and sweaty just as they enter the oven which is the CAT!

Last edited by transpac; Sep 6, 2013 at 5:48 am
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Did you just say that the Express line does and doesn't serve Makkasan?

I became impatient waiting for the Express at Makkasan, since it's only once every hour, but after having ridden the dang thing a slew of times, it's rarely crowded. No wonder its frequency was reduced.

However, was the fare slashed (again, for the third time?) too? 90฿ one way? That's good...for the consumer.
No the express train doe's service Makkasan i was wondering if you could get the express train to make 2 stops but as you can see by transpac reply not possible as yet.Last time we used the express service from Makkasan there were only 6 passengers that includes us departed 8pm.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by transpac
This is currently not possible - the Express train was planned to terminate at Makkasan so the center tracks stop just to the west, and the Phaya Tha Express uses the local bypass (outermost or City) tracks, but once the tracks are re-configured west of Makkasan, a single Express train could service both Makkasan and Phaya Thai at 30 minute headways, maybe even 20 or 15 minutes?

There was a plan that once the pedestrian link was completed at Makkasan that the Express train would service just Makkasan, with increased frequency, until such time as the track reconfiguration could take place. Then a single express train could service both MAkkasan and Phaya Thai.

I haven't kept up to speed on any plans/progress.

The walk from the Petchburi MRT stop (exit #1, no signage) up to the CAT at Makkasan rises quite a bit - I've noticed a few folks slowly pulling their bags uphill. They are pretty hot and sweaty just as they enter the oven which is the CAT!
Thanks for the info,i still find it easier to cross the railway line then use the lift bit of a walk either way.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:48 am

Useful App for ARL especially if you want to get the Express,time table and the departure times of next train counted down.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.pprajak.arl
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been using that (Android) app. for a month or so and have found it to be quite reliable and accurate within 1 or 2 minutes. Makes it easy to figure out if an Express is in the cards, assuming I'm going all the way - I sometimes board/alight at Hua Mark so have to take the City Line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.