Community
Wiki Posts
Search

**2008**BKK closed by anti-government protesters & ongoing discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:55 am
Original Poster

**2008**BKK closed by anti-government protesters & ongoing discussion

BKK is apparently under siege by anti-government protesters attempting to stop the return of the Thai president. All departing flights have been cancelled according to MSNBC.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:15 am

Suvarnabhumi closed,

Best place to keep up to date on developments is http://www.bangkokpost.com

(BangkokPost.com) - The anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Tuesday evening announced that it will shut down Suvarnabhumi airport in an attempt to topple the government.

At 9pm, the airport was ordered to halt its operation temporarily as the PAD demonstrators broke into the compound.

Later, PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul announced at the anti-government stage at Government House that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat must resign without any condition.

He then claimed that the government was guilty of the October 7 riot, which left two dead and almost 500 wounded.

Mr Sondhi said the demonstrators will intensify their acts of 'civil disobedience' by closing down Thailand's international airport.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
At what point do we start to reconsider travel to Bangkok? I am not one to shy away from some political turmoil, but am not a complete idiot either. I'm planning on staying 4 days in Bangkok for New Year's. What would you guys do?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:28 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by justforfun
At what point do we start to reconsider travel to Bangkok? I am not one to shy away from some political turmoil, but am not a complete idiot either. I'm planning on staying 4 days in Bangkok for New Year's. What would you guys do?
I would make backup plans and then wait and see what happens. Or, maybe go ahead and change your plans, using these events as a reason that you should get a full reund on your flight with no penalty.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: UA1P, SPG Gold
What about people who are in country and can't get out?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm not in the country, but I'm planning to go tonight. The TG nonstop left BKK before the airport was closed. I am scheduled to board it tonight for the return. Whether it leaves on time tonight or it delayed or diverted, I plan on getting there as soon as I can. After all, I have loved ones in Bangkok.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dano18
BKK is apparently under siege by anti-government protesters attempting to stop the return of the Thai president. All departing flights have been cancelled according to MSNBC.
I should have said PM not president, sorry.
dan
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Watching video from Thai television on the BBC website of violence in the streets is absolutely heartbreaking.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:24 am

Although its information is not up-to-the-minute, the US Embassy's Warden Message suggests much less drama than is being reported in the Bangkok newspapers. Coming from the normally panicky State Department, this is some small measure of reassurance.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I was just about to book the Airport Novotel for New Years Eve.

I might hold off for a couple of days and see what happens. It's my back-up, I'm trying to get seats on the TG920 on the 31st anyway to avoid leaving the airport.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by justforfun
My own take on the situation especially as it affects travel to Bangkok in the next few weeks: There is no way the airport closure will persist for more than a few days. It's just untenable to the Thai economy in general. So if this standoff continues beyond a few days, it will be the straw that broke the camel's back either way, i.e. the government falls or the demonstrators will be forcibly removed. So if I had plans for the holidays to travel to Bangkok, I'll hang on to those plans and watch what happens in the next few days. I won't be canceling any time soon.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:48 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posting from airside at BKK

8:30 pm caught taxi at westin. Settled on 500 thb all included.
Headed to Bang na and took toll road and reached bang phli (so said a sign) by 8:54

Hit a police road block after a place called Rajatheva at 9:01

At 9:06 were at Thai Catering in stop and go traffic with some yellow shirts around.

Looking up at highway it is totally blocked with parked cars and yellow shirts wandering around listening to people talking into megaphones or something.

By 9:21 pm was in stop and go traffic passing Thai Control Post 2 some 300 meters from the terminal.

At 9:30 I was in terminal on ground level. Lugged luggage upstairs. Announcements to leave terminal immediately for our own safety. A bunch of riot police in full gear marched through the terminal. Apparently a rush to the doors on level 2. After checking in was asked to go directly through immigration. But what about my VAT refund?

Headed over to VAT refund and they were rushing people through to immigration. They were clearing all the checking counters. The guys ate the VAT refund counters were uneasy. The convenience stores all closed. They were covering the windows of the lost luggage area with newsprint.

Now 10pm and half checkin counters still not checking people in. Reports on TV that the airport is closed per a Thai business partner that just called. He said I should go through already as it isn't safe in his opinion. Went through immigration just in case.

All shops collecting up their valuables and closing except food outlets. VAT refund said just keep for up to three years as they put the cash away. Even the massage places airside are closed.

I'm posting from the TG lounge and my LY flight is boarding. It is now 11:52PM. I'll be heading to the plane shortly.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:52 am

I think this is the beginning of the end: the PAD realizes that they're losing the little support they had, and are thus resorting to increasingly desperate tactics in an attempt to provoke the government into overreacting. It's a dangerous game, but the government and military have had commendably cool heads so far. That said, they will not tolerate Suvarnabhumi being blockaded for very long, so we can only hope that the PAD blinks first...

Another excellent site with lots of news not published by the majors: http://2bangkok.com/
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so flights are operating...

if they do stop, what would people recommend in terms of leaving BKK / getting to other airports?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Discussion is on using alternate nearby... Let you know if I hear anything. According to flightstats everything is still running. Our local business partners seem to think the Airport will continue to operate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.