Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Buffets in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UA,CX
Hotel Buffets in BKK

Flying to BKK in November,CX. My main reason is a sort of dental tourism, just checking. Last month I went to the Oriental to try a dinner and a lunch buffet, the experience was not good. Leaving all the details aside, do you guys know hotels with great buffets? The peninsula maybe? I am interested in the food, of course, but also the equipment and the presentation. I work in hotels, thank you
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
buffet

At the risk of recommending something to someone who doesn't approve of the Oriental.......

I like the Indian buffet at the Raj Mahal, Rembrandt Hotel, Sukumvit Soi 18.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:25 pm

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit has a good buffet with live Jazz. The Sukhothai also has a very good buffet. And yes, if you're in the mood for Indian food, Rang Mahal is it.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 6:21 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I always stay at the Peninsula. I'll be there in November actually. The buffet breakfast at RC&T is one of the strongest selling points for the hotel. Very good service, wide selection of items both Western and Asian, beautiful location. And this is coming from someone who does not generally like buffets.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UA,CX
Buffets

Originally Posted by JTPictureman
At the risk of recommending something to someone who doesn't approve of the Oriental.......

I like the Indian buffet at the Raj Mahal, Rembrandt Hotel, Sukumvit Soi 18.
Believe me, it was bad. The salads were warm, no seasoning at all, the hot food was almost cold and the dessert could have been better. I understand they have to fight against the heat, I dined outside. The next day in another restaurant, food was better, but given the reputation of the Oriental, I did expect much more. Thank you for the advice. I know already the Sheraton Grande buffett.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:18 am

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
In Thailand, the whole meal can be a "buffet".....anywhere. Just order a bunch of dishes that appeal to you (and companion) and you will have quite a selection. It seems that all the buffets are overpriced and under quality....compared to a nice restaurant....where you can order the dishes you really want....for a lot less.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I always stay at the Peninsula. I'll be there in November actually. The buffet breakfast at RC&T is one of the strongest selling points for the hotel. Very good service, wide selection of items both Western and Asian, beautiful location. And this is coming from someone who does not generally like buffets.
A strong second for this recommendation, also from someone who generally dislikes buffets. The Pen's breakfast event is as good as it gets -- attentive service, an amazing array of high quality Western & Asian selections, and a front row seat on the Chao Phraya's morning rush hour.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:37 am

The buffet at the JW Marriott is exceptional, and many Thais dine there for special occasions.

I also recommend the lunch buffet at the White Elephant Thai restaurant in the JW Marriott. Again, many local Thais visit for business lunches. Simply extraordinary.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:57 am

Probably the best buffet I have ever had was at the Sukhothai in BKK. Fantastic Thai food, but great other things as well. Probably one of my favorite hotels in terms of service and comfort to boot.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:48 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well as someone that worked in hotel F&B I consider the Sheraton Grande buffet Breakfast the best to be found anywhere. I have never really had the Lunch or dinner there but I am sure it is excellent. I will second the JW Marriott as excellent I have had Easter Brunch there and have been there with people who live in BKK and they enjoy it.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, CO Silver, AAdavantage, USAIR
I would say the best buffet in BKK would have to be the Sunday Brunch at the Four Seasons. It is incredibly decadent at about 3000 THB but oh so worth it. They open all there restaurants in the pavillion, which will each serve you there specialties (Madison: Filet Mignon, Prime Rib, Lamb Chops, Lobster etc) Thai Food, Indian Food, Japanese, American Breakfast, Middle East, French, Caviar Station, etc. Ive eaten at the SGS buffet many times and it is just in no comparison to the FS buffet. Even if you only go there once, it is a must do experience.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
We did the breakfast buffet at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit but we never tried the lunch or dinner. The breakfast was fantastic; it included a wide variety of american and thai cuisine.

Last edited by Howie721; Oct 23, 2008 at 2:30 pm
Old Oct 24, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by donlind
A strong second for this recommendation, also from someone who generally dislikes buffets. The Pen's breakfast event is as good as it gets -- attentive service, an amazing array of high quality Western & Asian selections, and a front row seat on the Chao Phraya's morning rush hour.
Another vote for the Pen here! My first trip to BKK earlier this year I stayed at the Pen for three nights. Went down to breakfast the first morning, sat by the river and boom, sensory overload. Hard to explain to someone who's never been there. Simply world class... ^
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I vote for the breakfast buffet out on the patio at the Oriental. They also have a great lunch buffet at their little restaurant across the river.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:58 am

One might also try the Sunday seafood brunch buffet at Lord Jim's in the Oriental Hotel. VERY nice, and around 1700 pp as I recall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.