Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to go from phi phi to khao lak

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2008, 1:39 am
Original Poster

How to go from phi phi to khao lak

I would like to do this without spending too much. We are leaving holiday inn phi phi for Le meridien Khao Lak. 5 days in Khao lak and then we fly to BKK from Krabi airport.

I know I can take the ferry to rassada pier and then what? Just flag a taxi to Khao Lak. I have seen car services for 1800. It seems like we could take the 230 ferry and arrive rassada at 4pm so Khao lak around 530pm? I think two ferry tickets plus car service would be 2400 baht or so.

I was also thinking about renting a car. Since we are returning from KBV airport I probably want to return it there. Avis is 6700 picking up at phuket airport. If I went this route should I jsut take the ferry to rassada and then cab to the airport.

Are there any boats direct from phi phi to khao lak. I see a phi phi day tour from khao lak for 2800 each. If someone would just transport us back for half that amount that seems perfect.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 2:52 am
Suspended

Phi Phi is a lot closer to Krabi than Khao Lak.
It would make more sense to stay at Khao Lak first and then Phi Phi if your final destination is going to be Krabi.

Rassada Pier is a little remote; and unless you dont mind being rip-off by Phuket's infamous taxi drivers, I would strongly suggest prearranging your land transportation beforehand rather than at the pier.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 3:19 am
Original Poster

My ticket from US allows one stopover or one open jaw (United Award). Due to stopover in BKK I need to fly into and out of same airport. We are staying in Krabi before phi phi. So since we are going to all 3, I will have to make the complete circle. So it does not really make any more sense to start in Khaop lak since I will be coming from Krabi. Also with the hotel availability it has to be done this way.

I should have also mentioned that the phi phi to khao lak trip will be on Christmas day.

If there is no way direct from phi phi to Khao lak then I am leaning towards grabbing a rental car at HKT airport. So should I just hail a taxi from rassada to airport. Is there any way to rent a car at rassada and drop at krabi airport.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 4:27 am
Suspended

I dont think theres any car rental company at Rassada Pier.

Taking a taxi ride in Phuket is not as simple as "hailing" a taxi like any other place. Though meter taxis do officially exist, most taxis are actually unmarked private cars offering you a ride for an exhorbitant fixed fare. You can ofcourse haggle with the driver but at places such as Rassada Pier, the driver will have the upper hand. I do not think many passengers at the pier would be heading to Khao Lak (usually to HKT or Patong), so even determining a fair fare may be a challenge. If you use the pier, I would suggest spending a night in Patong where its easier to negotiate a fare and once you are there you can arrange the ride to Khao Lak through one of the many travel agents or taxi booths. Or alternatively take a taxi to HKT where you can rent a car as you have mentioned (note: apart from Avis other car rentals are not located in the terminal)

And if money is not of concern, theres always http://www.destinationair.com/
Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:22 am

FYI, the current price (two weeks ago) from the HKT to Khao Lak is 1400bht. The reverse was 1300 with my poor bargaining skills.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
My ticket from US allows one stopover or one open jaw (United Award).

Is it a United award or a Star Alliance Award? If the Star Alliance, I think you are allowed one stop over AND one Open Jaw. I use Star Alliance award all the time and do exactly what you are trying to. Unless of course they have recently changed the rules...Good Luck.

Originally Posted by hindukid
My ticket from US allows one stopover or one open jaw (United Award). Due to stopover in BKK I need to fly into and out of same airport. We are staying in Krabi before phi phi. So since we are going to all 3, I will have to make the complete circle. So it does not really make any more sense to start in Khaop lak since I will be coming from Krabi. Also with the hotel availability it has to be done this way.

I should have also mentioned that the phi phi to khao lak trip will be on Christmas day.

If there is no way direct from phi phi to Khao lak then I am leaning towards grabbing a rental car at HKT airport. So should I just hail a taxi from rassada to airport. Is there any way to rent a car at rassada and drop at krabi airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.