Community
Wiki Posts
Search

receipts from Bangkok taxi drivers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

receipts from Bangkok taxi drivers

Will they provide them upon request? or is this a silly question I have never seen it happen yet, but then again I have never asked for one.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:36 pm

Programs: TG GOLD
I have been going through Bangkok on a regular basis since Feb. 2003, and I have never received a receipt.

Hey, taxis there are so cheap, its criminal . I feel guilty and always tip!
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:15 pm

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Originally Posted by martian
Will they provide them upon request? or is this a silly question I have never seen it happen yet, but then again I have never asked for one.
You always get one from the airport.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by gaia
You always get one from the airport.
Sure, you get the taxi's number and your destination on the slip, but it's not a receipt, because there's no price... although at least it's "proof of boarding" if your accounting dep't assumes you walked from the airport otheriwise and are trying to defraud them of $5

But receipts are basically completely unknown in Bangkok's taxis. The few times I've tried and managed to get my wish across, I've ended up with ripped pieces of paper scribbled with random numbers and Thai annotations.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:18 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by martian
Hold on..wait...just a...minutes...*cough*..*I'll answer as soon as I am able to stop laughing....
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:34 am

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
Sometimes YES, sometimes HUH?

I've managed to get some, Always from the airport no problem, occasionally from the hotel.
If you have expense report issues as I've had, give the one cabby you find with a receipt book an extra couple of bhats and get some 'extra' receipts...

When in ROME...^
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:34 am

Only get them from the aiprot thats right. Other then that..no! haha
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Hold on..wait...just a...minutes...*cough*..*I'll answer as soon as I am able to stop laughing....

thanks to all other posters for your helpful comments This is something I had just never thought about before being told that I have to have receipts for EVERYTHING. I think jpatokal's idea might probably work best.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I assume your accounting group doesn't know Thai so an receipt from a local would be fairly useless ... I would have some generic paper/receipt looking slips of my own if this was really required and write out in english the from/to, date and amount and ask the taxi driver to sign to address any issues with accounting. That way it is something they understand but its been 'signed' by the driver to make it official.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:38 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
My accounting dept accepts a signed letter from me stating that I spent X on taxis in Thailand. I do the same for metro and ferry travel in Hong Kong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.