Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report - day trip out of Chiang Mai. Elephant trek

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Report - day trip out of Chiang Mai. Elephant trek

On our second day in Chiang Mai, we decided to do a full day tour. It was advertised as a TREK.

We decided to do a joint, rather than a private tour. Cost was Baht 800 vs 1200. That's roughly $20 for joint vs $30 for private. And at US$20 a person for a full day trip, we certainly got our Baht's worth!

Our trip included 1 other person from India, and our guide Noi.

We left town for the Hill Tribe people at 9:00am. We passed cars, trucks, scooters (which I've never seen so many of in my life), as we passed rice paddies . You wouldn't confuse this road with Hawaii. Food stalls set up everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. You can't possibly imagine how many unless you've been here.

The road starts to get pretty as we twist and turn our way up the mountain.

We hike a steep path through the 'jungle'; over a bamboo bridge (2 at a time please ). This hike is not for the faint of heart.
It's hot and humid. The 30 minute trip (with lots of rests), takes us 45 minutes. Mrs.dhammer53 is sweating bullets. Water is supplied.

Our first village has but 120 residents.

Can you say NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC. This is what it looks like. 3 story treehouses. That's where they live. No running water, electricity etc. They have lots of traditional items for sale; and everything is negotiable. It's cheap to start off with , but even cheaper after the 'back and forth'. Sometimes they use calculators to show you the price.

From here we headed off on an elephant ride. I'm expecting a 10 minute ride. What we got was a 40 minute trek through banana fields, rice paddies and a walk on the river. We got our moneys worth on this alone. But there's more....

We then ate lunch roadside. Included in the US$20 we paid. Lunch was served on 'picnic type' tables. They brought us assorted pad thai (noodles), soup, and the most delicious pineapple and watermelon you've ever tasted.

The guy from Bombay ate his rice with his hands. Hey, when in Rome... I learned something.

From there we headed to the Karen Hill tribe people. One of the old ladies (75) had black teeth. That's from the Opium.

From here we headed to a waterfalls. Then onto a bamboo raft for a trip down the river. Some class 1 rapids. About 40 minutes (and all included in the $20! Are you getting the hint that Thailand is cheap.

We saw real elephants in their natural environment. They looked Disney! Very interesting.

As we got off the raft, there were more hill tribe peole there to sell us stuff. Jewelry that was .50 cents and 2 bucks. I had 5 girls/woman surrounding me. My wife laughed.

Back at the hotel by 7.

Exhausting, but fun.

Dan
Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:11 am

Programs: Dynasty Flyer, Krisflyer & United Mileage Plus FFP
Erm. I suggest you have a good trip! But can I know where do you get this Trekking company from and Usually such trekking company can be found along where in Chiang Mai City?
Old Aug 4, 2003, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Should have mentioned that the first time.

www.journeycnx.com
Based in Chiang Mai phone 6653-208787 Fax 6653-273428 We did tour JN-08. Remember, 800 baht is = to US$20.

This was at the suggestion of our Concierge at the Westin Hotel. All the various tour companies were the same price.

[This message has been edited by dhammer53 (edited 08-04-2003).]
Old Aug 5, 2003, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
Great report!

It's hard to tell people just how cheap it is over there, huh?

Anyway, inquiring minds want to know -

Is Asia it? The country that finally tanned those legs of yours?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And speaking of Chiang Mai....

If you're at the Westin....

Make a right out of the hotel to see how the folks really do business in a non-touristy area.

Barber (got a shave for 100 baht ($2.50).
Internet access for 15 cents per hour. It was slow but at 15 cents..

A 7-11 for ATM access and cheap food.
Phone cards available.

And a local market with dozens of food stalls; that certainly captures the essence of Chiang Mai. I think I was the only white guy there at 0630... or maybe all day..or all week!

Lisa, I got nice and dark.

Dan
Old May 25, 2004, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bumped to answer a question.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The google search really works! Hope this helps.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.