Reload this Page >

Bangkok Tailors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DirtyDan
Moderator Note: this wiki contains a summary of the most frequent recommendations made in this thread, by active FlyerTalkers, based on personal experiences. Listed businesses are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk. Advertising is prohibited, and FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced. All spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

At-a-Glance Guide to FlyerTalkers' Favorite Bangkok Tailor Shops

Introduction

Appointments are strongly recommended for all tailor shops. Reputable shops are busy, and may find it difficult if not impossible to accommodate walk-ins, especially if they are first-time customers.

Detailed information about prices, quality, turnaround, etc., can be found within the thread or on the tailors' websites. Please feel free to post questions in the thread if you'd like specific feedback from other FlyerTalkers.

Shops Most Frequently Discussed in the Thread

Key: women's tailoring services available
Key: authentic luxury-brand fabrics, specialized workmanship, and/or more expensive overall, turnaround may be longer
Key: offers Thai or Asian styles as well as traditional western styles

Raja's Fashions
Tel +66 2 253 8379 or +66 2 253 8389 (Raja and Bobby, proprietors - father and son)
Area: Sukhumvit/Nana

Tailor on Ten
Tel +66 84 877 1543 (Alex or Ben, proprietors)
Area: Sukhumvit/Asoke

Tramp (no website) ♀ ♢♢
Tel +66 2 630-6649 or +66 89 816-6143 (Mr Kyi, proprietor - pronounced Kee)
Area: River/Bangrak

Rajawongse Clothier
Tel +66 xxx (Jesse or Victor, proprietors - father and son)

Universal Tailors ♀ ♢
Tel +66 816112313 (Mr RONNIE, proprietor)
Area: Silom Soi 18

Pinky Tailor ♀ ♢
Tel +66 xxx (Mr Pinky, proprietor)
Area: Ploenchit/Wireless

July Tailor ♢♢ ☺
Tel +66 xxx (Khun Sompop, proprietor)
Area: Silom/Saladaeng

Hermann Suits
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor)
Area: Sukhumvit/Asoke

Narin Couture ♀ ♢
Tel +66 xxx (Khun Narin, proprietor)

Cotton House (no website) ♀♀ ♢ ☺
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor) - specifically for women's clothing
Area: River/Bangkrak

New International Boutique House (aka Nick's) ♀
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor)

Tanika Tailor ♀ ♢ ☺
Tel +66 (0) 2 229 4416
Area: Sukhumvit & Silom

Other Shops Mentioned in this Thread

• Milan or Inter-Milan
  • Mr Song or A. Song Tailor
  • Tanika
  • Art's
  • Crown
  • Lucky Man Fashions
  • Max's
  • Moon River
  • Nickerman's
  • Alex Fashions
  • Euro Boutique
  • James Fashions
  • Majestic Tailors
  • Versace's
  • World Group
  • Embassy Tailor

Last edit (DD): Removed ♀ from ToT - confirmed with shop.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are encouraged to update or add missing info to this wiki.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Tailors

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by stevedrambus
Where can I go in BKK for alterations, like to a suit that doesn't fit right, or a shirt that needs to be taken in, or a pair of pants with legs that are too wide?
(...)
3) Tailor shops, reputable and otherwise, unanimously turn their noses up at alteration work, insisting on making something brand new from scratch.
Any Tailor who worked with you before will not refuse your wish for an alteration, even it the work is not from him. If that a wise choice in regards of economics and result is another question.

There are alteration shops... that usually do not speak english and often do not posses the knowledge how to alter the piece to your specifications... if you are not providing the correct marks what to do. That is where the experience of a tailor comes in. 98% of them do nothing else, in Bangkok or anywhere. The work gets done in a sweat shop (or by computer & machines in the west).

I just had two of my (casual) pants done which ripped in the crotch area. The first I just handed over with my wish for a "fixing" and was butchered. The second I gave specific instructions and got a marvelous result. Only the place is next to BTS but not in Sukhumvit or typical tourist area and I needed a Thai translator for the instructions. So I guess not working for you.

...just go to the tailor who did your last suit.

If you do not have a contact, maybe try to ask Tanika at BTS Asoke. I assume they will get any job done to your satisfaction. They are not cheap though, so your suit should be really worth it to you and I would understand when they are not happy assisting you. There is no money and no positive reputation to gain with a job like this.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:21 pm

Tailors: best of Bangkok

Avoid Khao San rd. Many good tailors in sukhumvit. I like Savile Row and Rajah. Good listing in TripAdvisor Bangkok Shopping sectiom [redacted]

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jul 13, 2014 at 9:03 am Reason: removed link - see rule #7 Linking to content on other websites: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#externallinks
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A question for the experts on this thread.

Generally I have had my suits made from Italian and UK fabrics with occasionally something very interesting from Japan.

I am considering getting two new linen or cotton/silk blend suits made in August. Is there a particular Thai fabric (i.e. cotton/silk blend) that may be more appropriate or a specific linen you would recommend? Or should I stick to the above? I typically don't get a lot of silk blend or linen suits made however I would like to add two to my wardrobe. I will be using Tailor on Ten if that makes any difference to the suggestions. I will generally use these particular suits when working in tropical climates such as Thailand.

Thanks for any advisement. I tend to keep my suits for as long as five years and take good care of them so I prefer to spend more money up front if it means better wearing and fit.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
A question for the experts on this thread.

Generally I have had my suits made from Italian and UK fabrics with occasionally something very interesting from Japan.

I am considering getting two new linen or cotton/silk blend suits made in August. Is there a particular Thai fabric (i.e. cotton/silk blend) that may be more appropriate or a specific linen you would recommend? Or should I stick to the above? I typically don't get a lot of silk blend or linen suits made however I would like to add two to my wardrobe. I will be using Tailor on Ten if that makes any difference to the suggestions. I will generally use these particular suits when working in tropical climates such as Thailand.

Thanks for any advisement. I tend to keep my suits for as long as five years and take good care of them so I prefer to spend more money up front if it means better wearing and fit.
I doubt that you will have a realistic chance of getting this specific fabrics at any(!) tailor in BKK. The solution is probably easy: Buy the fabric on your own and go to the tailor of your choice for the making.
Also may I suggest to rethink Tailor on Ten if you are used to at least medium quality work and consider one of the very few real tailors? I know that will shake the fan base here, but let's be real about the prospects. Also that means you come into a price range of at least 40k more likely 50k-80k THB but beside the superior work you can expect horse hair underlining/-layers, not glued(!), nacre/mother-of-pearl(? not sure if that is correct in english) buttons and so on... the stuff we usually do not talk in here and what you would expect from a good tailor in the old world (=Europe) too.

Getting the fabric yourself will be a tad more pricy but at least you can be sure about the quality/brand. In general I have doubts if you will get any specific fabric you are looking for. Neither name brand from the 'old world' nor linen from a Thai brand. Let's say, it is highly unlikely... but good luck on that. I tried that and was not successful... but also I found satisfying alternatives... so I am curious about the outcome...

Another thought:
You mentioned working in tropical climate. I do not know about the specifics of your work environment. I can just inform you, that the offices I work in BKK, HKG &TPE are so freaking cold, that the suits I wear as a result tend to be on the warm side... they are mostly warmer than the ones I had made in Spain, Germany, UK. I know many Americans are used to a fridge working environment, so maybe you are fine with it... I am not.
My suits for Asia are not any light summer or 'cool wool' fabric and for sure not linen and I definitely recommend a silk inlay in the pants.
In Europe I usually have one pant with (winter) and one without (summer)... in Asia only with... I was even asking once if I can get a double layer.

What I want to say is, consider the real work environment before going for a very light suit, that might be great on the way to work but lets you freeze once you're in the office... or a fancy western restaurant or... pretty much anywhere you wear a suit in SE Asia.

Good luck and let us know about your experiences. Sounds interesting
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FoodieOnTour
I doubt that you will have a realistic chance of getting this specific fabrics at any(!) tailor in BKK. The solution is probably easy: Buy the fabric on your own and go to the tailor of your choice for the making.
Also may I suggest to rethink Tailor on Ten if you are used to at least medium quality work and consider one of the very few real tailors? I know that will shake the fan base here, but let's be real about the prospects. Also that means you come into a price range of at least 40k more likely 50k-80k THB but beside the superior work you can expect horse hair underlining/-layers, not glued(!), nacre/mother-of-pearl(? not sure if that is correct in english) buttons and so on... the stuff we usually do not talk in here and what you would expect from a good tailor in the old world (=Europe) too.

Getting the fabric yourself will be a tad more pricy but at least you can be sure about the quality/brand. In general I have doubts if you will get any specific fabric you are looking for. Neither name brand from the 'old world' nor linen from a Thai brand. Let's say, it is highly unlikely... but good luck on that. I tried that and was not successful... but also I found satisfying alternatives... so I am curious about the outcome...

Another thought:
You mentioned working in tropical climate. I do not know about the specifics of your work environment. I can just inform you, that the offices I work in BKK, HKG &TPE are so freaking cold, that the suits I wear as a result tend to be on the warm side... they are mostly warmer than the ones I had made in Spain, Germany, UK. I know many Americans are used to a fridge working environment, so maybe you are fine with it... I am not.
My suits for Asia are not any light summer or 'cool wool' fabric and for sure not linen and I definitely recommend a silk inlay in the pants.
In Europe I usually have one pant with (winter) and one without (summer)... in Asia only with... I was even asking once if I can get a double layer.

What I want to say is, consider the real work environment before going for a very light suit, that might be great on the way to work but lets you freeze once you're in the office... or a fancy western restaurant or... pretty much anywhere you wear a suit in SE Asia.

Good luck and let us know about your experiences. Sounds interesting
Thanks for the detailed response!

If you have a suggestion of a better tailor in Bangkok I am really happy to learn about them and meet with them on my upcoming trips to the city. The majority of my suits are made in N.E. Italy and I have two tailors with whom I have developed long term business relationships and they have both performed great work for me for quite some time.

My interest particularly in Bangkok is that the types of blends I was asking about are not necessarily good values to purchase in Italy.

I don't like cold temperatures and in our offices we rarely tax the air conditioning system at all except during periods such as last week when the temperatures were hitting over 40 C and humidity 92%. I also tend to use "Four Seasons" suits most of the time which are good for all types of weather - or at least that is the concept. Zegna for a somewhat generic example produces a series of textiles marketed this way and which will do in all conditions.

Completely understand what you mean about the "deep force zero" temperatures some offices, hotels, and restaurants in Asia tend to work to achieve- this being said I suffer the most when in transit- for example on the BTS on the way back from a meeting- and HOT bothers me a lot more than COLD. This is the reason I am looking for the suits as posted.

I will indeed post about my experiences- the colleagues at our BKK office also still insist T.O.T. is the better way to go- if you can suggest anything else I will contact them and see their scheduling availabilities within August. Certainly 80K THB which is around ~2000 EUR will put them ahead of the majority of Italian tailors- however if they can do something really special I would consider testing them out. With faster wearing fabrics such as Linen or Cotton/Silk I would not want to spend 80K THB and consider that a bit out of the range for the types of products I am asking about- I was thinking more around the range of 30K THB really.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: QFF
I am going to be in BKK for 4 days, is this enough to get a sports coat made? Also how much should I expect to pay for a decent quality sports coat at Raja's or Rajawongse? Any recommendations on which materials to choose is also appreciated.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I will indeed post about my experiences- the colleagues at our BKK office also still insist T.O.T. is the better way to go- if you can suggest anything else I will contact them and see their scheduling availabilities within August. Certainly 80K THB which is around ~2000 EUR will put them ahead of the majority of Italian tailors- however if they can do something really special I would consider testing them out. With faster wearing fabrics such as Linen or Cotton/Silk I would not want to spend 80K THB and consider that a bit out of the range for the types of products I am asking about- I was thinking more around the range of 30K THB really.
I personally really like ToT and their top-line suits, with waistcoats, run 32k THB (25k as a 2-piece).

My understanding regarding a floating-canvas, horsehair lining is that construction didn't fit ToT's customers' typical schedules, requiring multiple fittings over a month or so. IIRC, they used to offer them as an option, but don't any longer.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by somebol
I am going to be in BKK for 4 days, is this enough to get a sports coat made? Also how much should I expect to pay for a decent quality sports coat at Raja's or Rajawongse? Any recommendations on which materials to choose is also appreciated.
You'll find as many opinions here are there are FTers. Best would be to read the thread to see what appeals to you. My tailor here is Rajawongse; and I've always been pleased both with the product and service. As can be said about all of the tailors in BKK, others have had different experiences.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:20 am

You are right Dr.HFH. It is more of a personal choice than who is the best. I am telling from my experience for canvassed suit. Most tailors offer VBC as starting Italian fabrics. Tanika, Narin suits starts from 40k, ToT does not offer - I am not sure why will you spend 25k at TOT and buy fused suit. July tailor is good as well so is Perry. I eventually bought canvassed suit at Universal at 28k for VBC fabric with Bemberg lining and horn button. Quality is great. Rajawongse and Raja were the first tailor I tried few year back but they do fused suit only.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shaentarter77
You are right Dr.HFH. It is more of a personal choice than who is the best. I am telling from my experience for canvassed suit. Most tailors offer VBC as starting Italian fabrics. Tanika, Narin suits starts from 40k, ToT does not offer - I am not sure why will you spend 25k at TOT and buy fused suit. July tailor is good as well so is Perry. I eventually bought canvassed suit at Universal at 28k for VBC fabric with Bemberg lining and horn button. Quality is great. Rajawongse and Raja were the first tailor I tried few year back but they do fused suit only.
Agree a fused tailor made suit is an odd choice.

Furthermore starting at over 1000 EUR you are probably better off just getting a suit made directly in Italy or Tokyo at this point- I was at Hisyu last week and they were offering tailor made suits with high quality Italian or other European textiles for 900 eur and up.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Will ToT give you a bulk discount? Looking to get at least two suits, four slacks, and about 10 shirts
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by explorer84
Will ToT give you a bulk discount? Looking to get at least two suits, four slacks, and about 10 shirts
They don't have an official discounts program (and IIRC say their prices are firm and disclosed up front, as a selling point over some of the competition), but IME a large order will lead to something comped or otherwise discounted.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by exerda
They don't have an official discounts program (and IIRC say their prices are firm and disclosed up front, as a selling point over some of the competition), but IME a large order will lead to something comped or otherwise discounted.
This has been my experience as well. I wouldn't expect any discounts when ordering shirts/suits (especially if it's your first time ordering items), but IME ToT does occasionally provide comp. material upgrades / extras to repeat customers.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by explorer84
Telephones of Thailand
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Telephones of Thailand
Tailor on Ten

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.