Suggestions for a newbie visiting Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for a newbie visiting Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I also can't imagine why teenagers would like to go to Pattaya. I've never been there, but after few minutes of reading before my very first trip to Thailand, I knew that Pattaya is not the place for me.

Instead of going to Pattaya, I would suggest doing half day at Ayutthaya. They can do lunch cruise with visiting Ayutthaya at the same time. The cruise company will pick them up in their hotel, take them in the bus to Ayutthaya. You have few hours of sight seeing before being brought back to Bangkok on a boat with lunch.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
I also can't imagine why teenagers would like to go to Pattaya. I've never been there, but after few minutes of reading before my very first trip to Thailand, I knew that Pattaya is not the place for me.

Instead of going to Pattaya, I would suggest doing half day at Ayutthaya. They can do lunch cruise with visiting Ayutthaya at the same time. The cruise company will pick them up in their hotel, take them in the bus to Ayutthaya. You have few hours of sight seeing before being brought back to Bangkok on a boat with lunch.
If you followed my posts you will know I basically only go to Bangkok. But your suggestion of Ayutthaya definitely is on my to do list for my next trip. Thanks for the recommendation!!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Teenage girls I would expect to find large parts of Pattaya both offensive and scary. Teenage boys ... not so much.

I rarely go there these days, but they have managed to con some tourists (eg Russians) into believing it is a family beach holiday destination. If you stay within the walls of a 5 star resort ... maybe. Jomtien is less confronting, but then the beach is still pretty lousy. Lots of people refuse to go into the water.

It does sound like a lot is being packed into a short visit. Remember that Bangkok to a first time visitor can hit you like a sledge hammer. The blast oven heat, the smells, the traffic. You may decide you would rather spend your time by the hotel pool. But the shopping malls and taxis are air-conditioned. Mall-hopping is a common strategy.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG, RC
Well this thread was certainly a wealth of information and I'm certainly happy I came across it. glennaa11 lovely trip report from 2015 and as always thanks to dsquared37 and others for all of the essential tips. I would be interested to hear opinions of whether it is worth it or not to visit any of the floating markets. I seem to read really mixed reviews on TA.

Last edited by TravelPenguin; Aug 21, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by TravelPenguin
I would be interested to hear opinions of whether it is worth it or not to visit any of the floating markets. I seem to read really mixed reviews on TA.
Yeah, you either like being on the boat or you don't.

People that like it say : Oh it was great. We were paddled around by a sweet young lady and people would boat right up to us and offer us their goods. Fruit vendors would give us samples of the fruits, and I even got a cute photo with a sweet old lady selling noodles.

People that don't like it say : You're stuck on this boat with no way to get off. Pushy sales people keep throwing stuff in your face and get upset when you eat a fruit they offered you but didn't give them any money. It was just horrible sitting there having people basically shout at you to buy stuff with no way to leave.
TravelPenguin and RustyC like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG, RC
CrazyInteg for some reason reading that I couldn't help but smile because I have a feeling I would fall into the second group. I don't like being on boats....well small ones at least, and am already wondering how I would even handle the long tails while we are in Phuket. Thanks for the heads up. I guess for now its sounding like something I won't mind missing.

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Yeah, you either like being on the boat or you don't.

People that like it say : Oh it was great. We were paddled around by a sweet young lady and people would boat right up to us and offer us their goods. Fruit vendors would give us samples of the fruits, and I even got a cute photo with a sweet old lady selling noodles.

People that don't like it say : You're stuck on this boat with no way to get off. Pushy sales people keep throwing stuff in your face and get upset when you eat a fruit they offered you but didn't give them any money. It was just horrible sitting there having people basically shout at you to buy stuff with no way to leave.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by TravelPenguin
CrazyInteg for some reason reading that I couldn't help but smile because I have a feeling I would fall into the second group. I don't like being on boats....well small ones at least, and am already wondering how I would even handle the long tails while we are in Phuket. Thanks for the heads up. I guess for now its sounding like something I won't mind missing.
I've only ever been to one, and I did not go on the boats. But the one I went to near Ratchaburi, you could still do some walking around and shopping. It was still interesting to me, but I know that I would not like being stuck on a boat in a market.

Long tails in Phuket will be a different story, because you are on the ocean, you are not shopping, and the boats are bigger and faster.
TravelPenguin likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I always reiterate this recommendation to anyone going on the longtail boats or any similar boat.... earplugs. Bring earplugs.

Those engines aren't always well maintained and can be very, very loud.
TravelPenguin likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:00 am
Suspended

Great info thx everyone for posting.

Toying with going to BKK in Jan, not interested in Puket or any other beach spot (getting that out of my system in Kauai in Dec)

What is the avg amount of days that a person should plan in order to take in the major sites in BKK alone? I know its subjective but at least I will get an idea, toying with 5 or 7 nights. If I do the 7 then 2 nights will be hotel based w/o any running around Plan is a Hilton or Marriott where its book 4 get the 5th and then 2 nights in the Sukhumvit area possibly the Holiday Inn, where I will be hotel based

tia
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by craz
I know its subjective
4 days/3 nights
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The two posts above are both very, very accurate. Do not skip the palace, but be aware of the negatives before visiting. Not seeing the palace is like visiting Athens for the first time and not seeing the Parthenon or going to Altoona PA and not seeing the Horseshoe Curve. In probably three dozen visits, I've done the Palace three times: My first visit, with relatives on a later visit and recently when I just wanted something to do and thought I hadn't been there in awhile. The tours tend to be in waves, so you can avoid the large crowds by just hanging back a bit or walking in a different direction when it's crowded. Or, if you can't beat them, join them: I sometimes stand near a tour group for a few minutes to just listen to the guide describe something.

I'm a fan of cooking classes, with Cooking with Poo (her name) being my favorite. These usually include a market tour first.

From the northernmost stop on the tourist boat you can walk to Khoasan Rd. While it's a unique experience at night, around lunch time you can sit at one of the restaurants a block or so away, eat a great cheap lunch and people watch. Awesome.

And the tourist boat is good for newbies. Ride the entire route, then go back to what you want to see. If you take a boat after the first day, use one of the local boats. It's an experience. Information on the different boats can be found here.
thanks for the boat tips!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Since we're all chiming in about the Royal Palace....

I didn't visit the palace until my 3rd trip to Thailand, and even then I just went because it was supposed to be a popular tourist attraction. I did enjoy it. It was hot and sweaty. It was not very crowded. That was 10 years ago. A couple years ago I was with some Thailand noobs, so I took them to the Royal Palace. I did not enjoy it as much. It was crowded with many tourists that were openly defying the rules.

Anyways, don't feel that you must visit the Royal Palace. But it is a popular tourist draw.

Also you didn't thank me for my tips
sorry I missed a thank you.

Thank you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.