Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for a newbie visiting Thailand

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

BTW, Altoona? Both the OP and CJKatl are from Atlanta.

Ahh..but what you didn't know is that I lived in Pittsburgh for 13 years and I miss those quick Sheetz sandwiches. They don't compare to the ones we had in Ireland though at the Apple convenience stores.

It really doesn't have to be a sweet like ice cream. They just enjoyed the freedom of going next door to grab some strawberries or a cup of hot chocolate. I think it made them feel independent, but we knew they were safe. Sidenote, the convenience stores use milk for their hot cocoa and you can even get fresh chocolate at some. We loved their food, but are also excited to try out Thailand's cuisine.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; May 1, 2017 at 5:53 pm
Old May 1, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
While that might have been true 5 years ago it's not these days. There are bakeries all over and high end patisseries in trendy areas and spreading fast. I can't speak for the quality of the goods, but they certainly exist. Ice cream shops are still generally limited to malls though.
By "like in Europe and the US" I meant many small street bakeries, not that there weren't any at all. In Prague, for example, you have walk-up bakeries and small store-fronts with these incredible breads and pastries. Sometimes, you get something at one only to find something better you wish you had known about while walking back to the hotel. Yes, bakeries exist in Thailand, but not like they exist in Europe or larger US cities.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
Ahh..but what you didn't know is that I lived in Pittsburgh for 13 years and I miss those quick Sheetz sandwiches. They don't compare to the ones we had in Ireland though at the Apple convenience stores.
I grew up in Altoona, where Sheetz is the local religion, and still go back three or four times a year, but have been in ATL for over 30 years. The family lived down the street from my family (second generation, brother in charge). People from outside the area don't realize how many things we take for granted in convenience stores actually started with Sheetz. In the sixties and early seventies, my dad said the following about Mr. Sheetz:
  • Why does he need another store? Two is enough. He risks losing everything trying to open a third, and he will need to work too hard.
  • He needs to decide whether he wants to sell food or gas, because nobody wants to buy gas where they buy food.
  • He needs gas station attendants. Most people won't pump their own gas. And who is going to check your oil?
Old May 1, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
OP… You mentioned in post #4 that you are considering visiting Thailand over the Christmas period. FYI… the ‘High Season’ here in Thailand runs from October through to March as this is the best time of the year from the weather perspective. Accommodation prices tend to be 50% higher during this period compared with the rest of the year. During the Christmas/New Year period accommodation can be at a premium and you may well need to book early to be sure of getting the type of accommodation that you want. Also you may well find that you’re paying over the odds.

One week is going to be a short visit, and you’re not going to be able to experience everything in such a sort time. I would suggest you decide if you want a city, beach or action type holiday and stick with one itinerary.

If you are thinking about Bangkok as a base take a look at http://www.bangkok.com/ for some good info on hotels and what to do.

Regarding scams…. Thailand is no different from anywhere else in the world. Generally its fairly safe, just use common sense.

As it’s going to be your first visit, treat it as an big adventure and enjoy it.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:19 pm

Bangkok is a fantastic city, but I don't think it really offers what you describe OP. You've described a nice Caribbean resort, not a major Asian city.
You should carefully research whats available before going.

That said, Bangkok is a fantastic place. There's so much to see and do, and I have always found it to be pretty safe (far safer than London or Paris IMO).

It's fairly easy to get around on public transport or by using Uber. As there are four of you, I'd use Uber all, unless traffic is at an absolute grid-lock, of the time as it would work out cheaper and more convenient.

If you're looking for a tour, I went on a tuktuk food tour a few years ago and enjoyed it. It was a pretty cool evening traveling around Bangkok by tuktuk and eating at lots of good, but out of the way local restaurants. I seem to remember it being relatively expensive for Bangkok, but not too bad when you consider it included all food and five hours hire of a tuktuk.

Also, in Bangkok you'll find quite a few dessert places. Ice cream and Japanese style desserts seem to be the 'in-thing' there at the moment.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Yes, bakeries exist in Thailand, but not like they exist in Europe or larger US cities.
That's like saying "Yes, somtam (a Thai salad) exists in Europe or larger US cities but not like they exist in Thailand"
Old May 2, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
By "like in Europe and the US" I meant many small street bakeries, not that there weren't any at all. In Prague, for example, you have walk-up bakeries and small store-fronts with these incredible breads and pastries. Sometimes, you get something at one only to find something better you wish you had known about while walking back to the hotel. Yes, bakeries exist in Thailand, but not like they exist in Europe or larger US cities.
I doubt many places in Bangkok have their own in-house bakeries but in higher end areas the number of these is growing quickly.

It reminds me of the initial appearance of coffee shops some 10 years ago; from nothing to every corner practically.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I doubt many places in Bangkok have their own in-house bakeries but in higher end areas the number of these is growing quickly.

It reminds me of the initial appearance of coffee shops some 10 years ago; from nothing to every corner practically.
I have noticed more bakeries in Bangkok lately, but circling back around, the poster's kids will likely be going out at night getting late night noodles, skewers or grilled fish from a sidewalk takeaway or a street vendor instead of ice cream or cookies.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Uber seems unnecessary to me in Bangkok as there are so many metered taxis around. On the other hand, if they are total newbies and hop in a metered taxi they might be hassled by the driver who doesn't want to use the meter.

OP, if you like Hiltons, the Hilton Sukhumvit is located just a 5 minute walk from a lovely new mall called Emquartier. Your kids might like that, though it might be further than you want them walking alone, and I guess they could conceivably get lost in the mall and be unable to find the right exit to get back, the layout can be a bit confusing.

The Conrad Hotel has a very small mall attached to it in the same complex with two Starbucks, a Burger King, a Subway, a bookstore, and no chance of getting lost.

These places are in the Sukhumvit area though, known for being tourist-friendly and having a lot of restaurants and nightlife and might not be the best place with young teens. Neither hotel is smack dab in a red light district, but you might be better off along the river like others say, so you can easily visit the palace, etc.

If you're going to a wat or palace and someone tells you it's closed, don't believe them.

I would avoid tuk tuks at all costs, use metered taxis or Uber.

I agree with the advice above about avoiding taxis parked in front of tourist places.

Phuket or Chiang Mai might be better places for you to devote your time than Bangkok. Good luck. Don't worry about the language; the Thais that you will encounter as a tourist will likely speak enough English.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Uber seems unnecessary to me in Bangkok as there are so many metered taxis around. On the other hand, if they are total newbies and hop in a metered taxi they might be hassled by the driver who doesn't want to use the meter.

I would avoid tuk tuks at all costs, use metered taxis or Uber.

I agree with the advice above about avoiding taxis parked in front of tourist places.
I am the antithesis of a newbie and get hassled by metered cabs often enough that I try to avoid taking them unless absolutely necessary.

Further, I didn't say avoid parked taxis in tourist areas, I said avoid parked taxis. Period. As in, anywhere.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
...... the poster's kids will likely be going out at night getting late night noodles, skewers or grilled fish from a sidewalk takeaway or a street vendor instead of ice cream or cookies.
Unfortunately, by the time the OP and family get here in December, street food vendors will have become a thing of the past if the government continues to have its way
Old May 3, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
Unfortunately, by the time the OP and family get here in December, street food vendors will have become a thing of the past if the government continues to have its way
While on the one hand the push to get rid of street food vendors is upsetting, on the block between the Marriott (Soi 57) and Thong Lor you can now walk on the sidewalk and the takeaway restaurants have cleaned themselves up. While the takeaways are slightly more expensive, they're still inexpensive and offer many of the same foods that were found on the street vendor carts.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Suggestion. Pathumwan Princess Hotel. It's connected to huge MBK shopping mall so kids wont get lost. Has a food court, mini mart, donut shop, ice cream shops if i recall.

Hotel is great. Suites with tons of room are cheap.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
late night ice cream at 8pm
Surely your teenagers would roll their eyes at the suggestion that 8pm is "late night" but any mall will have plenty of snack or ice cream options. With all due respect to the previous poster, MBK mall is kind of a dump. OP might consider the Grand Centre Point Terminal 21 hotel which is attached to the Terminal 21 mall, open till 10. There's a Cold Stone, Swensen's, Baskin Robbins, A & W and more ice cream places, plus 2 donut shops, a KFC, bakeries, pastry stands, and a grocery store. Plus a host of full-service restaurants, a decent-sized Thai food court, a big Starbucks and a movie theater. Shopping is good too.

Additionally, you're steps from both the BTS (Skytrain) and MRT (subway) lines, without even going outside.

You could also try the Centara Grand attached to Central World, same idea, just that CW mall is truly immense while T21 is merely large, and thus, easier to navigate.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Central Embassy has a Boulangerie Paul and even a Harrod's for tea and scones if desiring a controlled kind of environment with high-end choices. The dark tea infused with Madagascar vanilla is amazingly good.

For a place that has Thai food but still has an English menu with pictures and is cheap but slightly edgy, Suda restaurant near Asok BTS station is wildly popular (would have to arrive before 7). The banana-leaf chicken is a franchise-builder. For a more upscale surrounding but also very Thai, there's Cabbages & Condoms.

Lotsa people walk around Soi Cowboy in the early evening to see all the neon signs and maybe get a drink on the porch without going in the bar.

Don't believe anyone who tries to tell you the Grand Palace is closed. As was mentioned, there are lots of characters trying to separate you from your money in creative ways (do NOT get talked into buying gemstones or jewelry). Those individuals do not represent the Thai people but unfortunately make themselves very visible. Between that and common stuff like taxis not wanting to use meters and the ladyboy pickpockets and third-world imagery in places, it's possible to go and say "never again." Some adapting is required and doing homework and research is important.

Alternatively, you can watch those episodes of "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" and do what they did on Phuket, but that was a very cocoon-ey way to do it and gave limited exposure to the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.