Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok to Chiang Mai by train or plane

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Question Bangkok to Chiang Mai by train or plane

Now that there are LCC's to Chiang Mai, is taking the overnight train still a good idea? The most recent entries about the Thai trains I found on this route were from 2014. Some of those posts talked about poor sanitation and derailments. Seat61.com highly recommends it, but it is the BKK-CNX route and not the reverse to BKK. Are the schedule timings reliable enough to arrive in Bangkok about 6 am and then run out to BKK airport for a 9:50 am flight (in biz class).
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I wouldn't even consider the train. Recently purchased a ticket on this same route on THAI Airways for 695 THB each way. That's less than $40 round trip and it takes an hour.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:05 pm

I've never taken the train, but....

There have been LCCs and regular airlines flying this route for many years.

The reports from 2014 should still hold true. The SRT did recently receive some new bogeys. (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...ash-new-trains)

I would say no way on counting on the train arriving at 6am and then going to a 9:50am flight.

The flights are cheap and easy. You even get to choose what airport you want to arrive in Bangkok.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:08 pm

If you want an "experience", then take the train. Don't be surprised if something happens and your itinerary is all screwed up.

Ever seen the movie Turistas?
Take the plane.
Once in rural Nepal, we decided to take the 6 hour bus ($9) instead of the 1 hr plane ($30). It turned into 16 hrs of an experience. We had time and I wouldn't trade the experience learning about local political / police corruption issues while standing on the side of a blocked road for 6 hrs waiting with at least 2,000 other people before the road was opened again. We played frisby and shared what little food/drink people had brought with them.

Take the plane if you want a more predictable trip.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: EK Pleb
I did the Bangkok to Chang Mai journey a couple of years ago, and it’s one that I wouldn’t want to repeat unless there was absolutely no alternative means of transport.

Firstly it’s a 12 hour journey, mostly through the night so you’re not going to see very much of the passing country. The train/carriages were well passed their sell by date and the tracks are not well maintained. As a result, even in the 1st class sleeper compartment, it’s a very tossed around uncomfortable journey. Added to which the onboard facilities were fairly basic.

During the trip I had a quick look into the 2nd class compartments and frankly I think you would need a holiday to recover after the trip.

The up side (if there was one) is that the fare was cheap.

I’m given to understand that State Railway of Thailand has recently taken delivery of a number of new trains and carriages which they are supposedly putting into service on the Bangkok to Chang Mai route. They did a publicity event a couple of months ago to show off the new stock which should now be in service. They also claimed that seats on the new trains can be booked online.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...mai-next-month

From the pictures shown in the Bangkok Post the new trains look decent with modern facilities. However, I'm not sure what the ride will be like on the old tracks.

IMO I would opt for a 1 hour flight.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:53 am
Original Poster

I was aware of the pitfalls of taking the train. I do like riding in trains and was on the Budapest to Berlin overnite train 1 month before the migrant crisis in Europe. My intention was to fly 1 way and train the other way. If train times are not reliable, would a flight from Chiang Mai to BKK airport (several at 6-7 am) connecting to that 9:50 am JAL flight be OK?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I was aware of the pitfalls of taking the train. I do like riding in trains and was on the Budapest to Berlin overnite train 1 month before the migrant crisis in Europe. My intention was to fly 1 way and train the other way. If train times are not reliable, would a flight from Chiang Mai to BKK airport (several at 6-7 am) connecting to that 9:50 am JAL flight be OK?
Should be fine, especially since you're flying in J Class. You'll get fast track security/immigration so it won't take long once you get to BKK.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot really depends on the exact day/date(s) of travel as availability may be limited.

The train does save on one-night's hotel stay so factor that in to any cost equation.

Some tracks have been repaired, certainly the spots were most derailments occur, but the tracks still get flooded.

The new Chinese-manufactured carriages were due to go into service two days ago, on a few select train route numbers; I think the fares on these carriages are much more expensive.

A LCC flight from CNX to BKK with a 3 hour connection should be fine, I might make that 4 or 5 hours for an LCC flight to DMK, allowing for a ground connection between DMK and BKK.

You could always exit or board the train at a point north of the city, like Bang Sue, which might save an hour or two, utilizing a taxi from/to BKK.

On-line booking remains problematic and challenging; you can purchase tickets 60 days in advance of travel in person at any train station, or 30 days in advance on-line.

Last edited by transpac; Nov 12, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: UA/AA
I would not count on the train to arrive on time if I had a flight to catch and make a ground connection to BKK.
Although, If you do enjoy train rides as I do, it is a comfortable enough way to get to Chiang Mai. Unless you are tall as, you may find the bed a bit short for you. Leave Bangkok in the evening and arrive in the morning in CM. The rolling hotel works for me. There is some food available onboard or you can bring your own.
The new cars look nice and modern. Will sure miss those commodes where you can see the rail bed zip by. Old world charm!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the pricing on the new carriages, for Bangkok to Chiang Mai is:

1st Class/Air Con: 1,253 (upper berth), 1,453 (lower berth), 1,953 (room)
2nd Class/Air Con: 791 (U), 881 (L)

on Special Express trains #9, #13. Published travel time is ~ 13 hours.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by transpac
on Special Express trains #9, #13. Published travel time is ~ 13 hours.
Wow! The distance from Bangkok is Chiang Mai is 360 miles. I understand they have new trains, but they are not going very fast! A high speed rail link cannot come too soon.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My GPS say it is 700 Km, and 8 1/2 hours currently, non-stop using roads.

A train route is probably a bit longer; and trains often stop to drop-off and pick-up passengers. The Special Express trains make ~ 18 stops.

"High-speed" rail here means max. 200 KpH; with Bangkok-Chaing Mai projected at 6-8 hours (the "government" likes to quote 5 hours). Any high-speed rail project is at least 20 years out.

Obviously an airplane is able to fly direct, non-stop (one hopes) in an hour or so.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
If you enjoy train travel and an "adventure" the old train was fun to do once (only) in what passes for "first" class.

Those new trains do look much nicer. I have flown with TG a few times since my original train journey, but will definitely consider the new train next time.

I booked online with one of the local online travel agents who I suspect just send someone to the station to buy the required batch of tickets as needed.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:15 am

Programs: MP
DO NOT travel by train in Thailand. Trains are slow, delayed, dirty, disgusting, and unsafe. Foreigners often come expecting similar train services they're accustomed to, but trains in Thailand are super old. They're all still using deisel engines and the "newest" locomotive is over 20 years old. The older ones are like half a century old...

Trains also ALWAYS delays. To the point that one time where they had to close a route due to maintenance, they have to put a warning to the next station (which is now beginning of the route) to warn the passengers that trains will be ON TIME.

If you do, however, want an experience in piss reeking carriages swerving left and right blazing at 80 km/h, then expect to spend 12+ hours on what could be done in 8 by car.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by pon18n
DO NOT travel by train in Thailand. Trains are slow, delayed, dirty, disgusting, and unsafe. Foreigners often come expecting similar train services they're accustomed to, but trains in Thailand are super old. They're all still using deisel engines and the "newest" locomotive is over 20 years old. The older ones are like half a century old...

Trains also ALWAYS delays. To the point that one time where they had to close a route due to maintenance, they have to put a warning to the next station (which is now beginning of the route) to warn the passengers that trains will be ON TIME.

If you do, however, want an experience in piss reeking carriages swerving left and right blazing at 80 km/h, then expect to spend 12+ hours on what could be done in 8 by car.
Slow and delayed, sure, but not unsafe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.