Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walks in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Walks in Bangkok

I read this in another thread and thought it was worth a thread of its own.

Originally Posted by zarkov505
I knew you could walk from Chit Lom to Siam Square. That used to be one of my favorite morning walks, until my ankle developed arthritis. I didn't know it went all the way back to Phloen Chit.

I did walk from northernmost BTS station, to the next station south, some months ago. I was doing a navigation run, to find the hotel that hosted the monthly Radio Amateur Society of Thailand meeting. I didn't realize the two stations were 1.6 km apart...
Bangkok is not an easy walking city. Crowded, uneven sidewalks and lots of traffic. Besides parks there are few places where you can comfortably go for a stroll.

My favorite starts at Lumpini Park. At the NorthEast corner there is an elevated crosswalk to cross Witthayu. But you can continue walking East behind the police kiosk. It stays elevated (goes up and down a half dozen stairs a couple of times) and continues over the highway. Goes down to ground level around the southern end of soi Nana at the tobacco institute. Continues at ground level nearly to Queen Sirikit Park. (Suk soi 12, IIRC) Never crosses a road a ground level. Away from traffic. If you include the walk on soi 12, you can get from the Suk Grand Sheraton area to Lumpini Park on foot without ever crossing a road or dealing with any traffic whatsoever.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That walkway ends at Soi 10, but you can go right, across a rickety bridge and get into the Thai Tobacco Company and Queen Sirikit Park. There is a gate on Soi 10 which is closed to vehicles but you can shimmy through. There are quite a few feral dog packs roaming the more remote patches in the Tobacco Co. so be careful. The open cesspool adjacent between the expressway and Soi 4 has a gazillion mosquitoes and the stench is intense. Not sure how much of that is due to the chemical runoff from the Thai Tobacco Company? (While their main plant has moved up to Ayutthaya they still run batches in this old property. I drive through here often, a good shortcut between Rama 4 and Sukhumvit, and the chemical smells are incredible.)

Stay off this walkway after dark; there are assaults nightly.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:14 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

It's rather easy to find unoccupied sidewalks in Bangkok, and the fact that sidewalks exist there is even better. (I longed for them during my time in Jakarta, and half of the sidewalks in China are slippery/have rusty bars sticking out of them/are filled with electric bikes)

Another perk to wandering about Bangkok is the discovery of different street food.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
My favorite starts at Lumpini Park.
Ours doesn't include much scenery...

Starts at Oriental Residence on Wireless Rd, left toward MBK (opp direction from Sukhumvit), once we reach Grand Hyatt intersection use the BTS Skywalk to Siam Paragon. If we're energetic, up/down to bypass BTS station and continue to MBK.

When I stay at Grande Centrepoint, Ratchadamri, do pretty much the same route....starting with Grand Hyatt intersection and skywalk.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:05 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Why isn't bkk a nice walking city? Avoid Sukhumvit and walk onto any of the smaller sois.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why isn't bkk a nice walking city?

I guess it depends on what one means by "nice"?

Heat, humidity, blazing hot sun today, vats of boiling oil used for frying, rain/flooding (we can only hope), soi dogs/poop, rats, dodgy footpaths, motorcycles driving on the footpath, cars parked on the footpath, low hanging wires.

No doubt it is interesting, exciting, thrilling - would make an awesome video game - but nice? Meh.

Parks for outdoor exercise are OK, and some of the larger shopping malls (Mega Bang Na for example) may offer ample space.

Outdoor space is at a premium here.

Brand-new Chatuchak bike lane becomes street food hub, parking lot

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/05/0...ub-parking-lot
Old May 5, 2016, 4:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Well I guess if you put it like that.... lol

I think it's pretty nice. Some people think the fact that no one speaks English and the fact that nothing is written in English in Japan is a nice thing, because they think getting lost is a way to getting cultured. I think that's idiotic. But I guess that's how you feel about my infatuation with the chaotic tranquility I find in Bangkok.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chaotic tranquility

New TAT tag-line?

Get beaten until you are unconscious.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

TAT? You mean TIT?

Once I stay in the US for too long, I need some more energy in my life. For that I go to Bangkok and HK. The chaos and energy is pretty calming.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
TAT? You mean TIT?

Once I stay in the US for too long, I need some more energy in my life. For that I go to Bangkok and HK. The chaos and energy is pretty calming.
TAT is the Tourism Authority of Thailand
Old May 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Oh... I guess TIT works too. TIT for TAT.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"TiT" has been replaced by the officially approved TAT tag-line "Thainess".
Old May 7, 2016, 5:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

So TAT for TIT then.
Old May 13, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I haven't been in the Pratunam area for quite some time. Went through in a taxi yesterday. Saw what seemed to be an extension of the raised walkway at Ratchprasong intersection all the way up to Platinum Mall. When did that happen???
Old May 13, 2016, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That new overhead walkway has been under construction for ~ six months.

While the newer, wider portion crossing Ratchadamri Road is open, the portion running north/south is still not open. It looks like it at least goes over the Khlong San Saeb, where previously the sidewalk was so narrow people had to walk in the road.

I think it is part of a larger project called "Rajprasong Skyline"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.