Search

Surin Beach - logistics and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Surin Beach - logistics and other questions

Hello folks,

Did anybody take taxi or other transport from Phuket Airport to Surin Beach or nearby places? What is the proper pay for such trip? Hotel wants 900 baht and I do think it is steep.

How much metered taxi would cost for this distance? Is Uber an option (price wise)?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by invisible
Hello folks,

Did anybody take taxi or other transport from Phuket Airport to Surin Beach or nearby places? What is the proper pay for such trip? Hotel wants 900 baht and I do think it is steep.

How much metered taxi would cost for this distance? Is Uber an option (price wise)?
You'd probably be looking at close to 500 THB on the meter plus the 100 THB airport taxi fee.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You'd probably be looking at close to 500 THB on the meter plus the 100 THB airport taxi fee.
Great, thank you. Could you tell exactly where metered taxi location is at the airport? Different sources list different places. Also, is it possible to get metered taxi at Surin Beach?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Great, thank you. Could you tell exactly where metered taxi location is at the airport? Different sources list different places. Also, is it possible to get metered taxi at Surin Beach?
As you head out of the arrivals door (outside) make a right and you'll see the meter taxi stand toward the end of the walkway. I believe it's the last object (save chairs) on the walkway area.

For getting a meter taxi anywhere else on the island I'd recommend Grab Taxi.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:58 am

I just did a hotel car for about the amount the OP quoted. For me, the $10-15 marginal cost increase was worth if for me in not having to worry about scams etc. To each their own with respect to risk tolerance, but as a first-timer it was one less thing for me to think about.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I just did a hotel car for about the amount the OP quoted. For me, the $10-15 marginal cost increase was worth if for me in not having to worry about scams etc. To each their own with respect to risk tolerance, but as a first-timer it was one less thing for me to think about.
The taxis out of HKT are very new and clean and the drivers have been good. In the two times I've used the outside meter desk in the last 6 months there's been no push toward a set price nor hassle in any way.

Clearly that's no guarantee moving forward but it's been pleasant to date.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:54 am

Really? Interesting. In the research I did it was nothing but "mafia, mafia, mafia". Even here on FT I thought. No thanks. Of course at the time (late 2014) there was talk of the military govt cracking down on them...did change actually happen that quickly??? Good to know for going forward - I definitely don't make it down that way very often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.