Search

First time in Phuket, lodging recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
First time in Phuket, lodging recommendations please

Hello everybody,

Going with my wife to Phuket. It will be our first trip to Thailand.

Please share your recommendations for lodging in Phuket if they fit following criteria:

1. Quietness - away from busy streets/places/backpackers/young crowds
2. Clean room, shower, bedding and towels
3. (desired) Near beach/water - wife really wants to sleep while listening sounds of waves
4. In the main island, so no transfers to the remote islands
5. No more than $80/night

Above is requirement. Everything else is nice to have (like breakfast, pool, spa, etc, etc, etc) but not necessary - we are mostly budget travelers. I am open for a guesthouse/B&B/AirBnB options as well.

Also, due to Thailand's reputation of scam and defrauding of tourists capital of the world - I would eager to listen your own recommendations how to avoid such fraud and scams mainly when dealing with hotels and taxis - we do not plan and 'entertain' ourselves in the town.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
You may want to check out this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...ailand-44.html
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You will find plenty of great accommodation within your price range, in particular in low season (April-Oct). You really can't go wrong with Tripadvisor.

Originally Posted by invisible

Also, due to Thailand's reputation of scam and defrauding of tourists capital of the world
?? where does this come from. You will find that most ppl in Thailand, even in tourist industry - are honest ppl. Yes, there is a taxi mafia in Phuket (but they dont try to trick other than being quite open about their inflated fares) and other scams but nothing that you wouldn't find in other countries. If this is your perception, why do you travel to Phuket/Thailand then?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by SK AAR
If this is your perception, why do you travel to Phuket/Thailand then?
Well, I had to burn flight vouchers with Jetstar. As far as scamming - if one reads reviews and warnings on TripAdvisor, wikivoyage and other places - Phuket seems getting higher amount of attention, comparing to Bali or Hoi An for example.

But all good - already booked hotel, slightly higher than the desired price but it is overlooking beach from a hill. And after 10 days research on transportation matters I decided to rent a car - calculated that 4 days of rent would be the same price than airport transfer to/from hotel and getting a car and driver of one days for 8 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.