Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand & Bali in 10 days?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Air Asia used to have direct flights to HKT from Jakarta, but I haven't checked recently.

Unless you like to travel a lot, with short stops, I'd pick one destination and concentrate on it. BKK would be fine for 3-4 days, though, as jpdx has mentioned.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:39 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I'd agree with folks here: with 10 days, I'd cut Bangkok short and split my time on Bali into some time on the beach and in Ubud - great difference in experience.
If a Thai beach is a must, I'd recommend to drive to Hua Hin 3h South of Bangkok instead of Ko Samui - not my favorite beach, but more fun than all the flying!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
safra1 - My signature had links to detailed TRs I've posted - one is 5 days in Bali (we spent 3 days outside of Ubud and 2 days on the beach) and another is a trip that includes 1.5 days in Bangkok and 2.5 days in Phuket. Those should give you an idea of what you can fit in (my wife and I do tend to travel fast and pack a lot into a short period) So, I definitely think you can see both in your timeframe.

If you haven't looked into JAL's discount mileage promotion for econ. class redemptions on Bangkok Airways, you might find it worthwhile to explore.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I have spent a lot of time in Bangkok and more than my fair share of time in Bali over the last ten years. I love them both and am going back again this month and next. I've also been to Phuket and Samui. When I started this, I was in my late 20's, and always traveling with my (then) partner. I would join the others in encouraging you to spend the whole 5 days in Bangkok then go straight to Bali for 5 days. Fly TG in between (decent flight times that will get you out in the morning and leave you the late afternoon and evening when you arrive in Bali).

You could easily spend five days in Bangkok, without any time for indulging in the inexpensive luxuries and pampering (two hour Thai massage for less than $20?) and not much time for shopping and getting souvenirs and gifts to bring home. Likewise, in five days you will just barely scratch the surface of Bali. in contrast, the Thai beaches are entirely skippable-- next to no Thai culture and extremely touristified, with more beer gardens, borscht, and bulgogi than good Thai food, for example. For the island setting where you can get local culture, spend your time in Bali (just be sure to stay out of Kuta and Nusa Dua and get at least some time in the interior).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.