Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International to domestic connection at BKK with duty free purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

International to domestic connection at BKK with duty free purchase

I am flying from JFK-BRU-BKK-USM. The last leg is a domestic flight. I would like to purchase duty free liquor. Where is the best place along the way to do this? My connection in BRU is over 6 hours. I have 2 hours layover in BKK. If I buy the liquor in BRU will I be able to bring it through to my domestic flight? The rules on Bangkok Airport website and all forums I have read seem very confusing. Please help!!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Are you hand carrying the liquor? Since it is not packed in your checked in lugage I question if you can carry that much liquid through any security checkpoint. They may confiscate it. The amount of liquid through security checkpoints would be the problem I think.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by bms918
I am flying from JFK-BRU-BKK-USM. The last leg is a domestic flight. I would like to purchase duty free liquor. Where is the best place along the way to do this? My connection in BRU is over 6 hours. I have 2 hours layover in BKK. If I buy the liquor in BRU will I be able to bring it through to my domestic flight? The rules on Bangkok Airport website and all forums I have read seem very confusing. Please help!!
If you search "domestic security" within this forum you'll find your answer.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Poster

it seems that I may be ok to bring it through security if sealed properly. does that mean i buy it in brussels or in bangkok?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...rival-bkk.html

In the above I think there is mention that you could buy on arrival at BKK, have it sealed, and carry it on to USM. I do not think you could carry it all the way from BRU?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by transpac
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...rival-bkk.html

In the above I think there is mention that you could buy on arrival at BKK, have it sealed, and carry it on to USM. I do not think you could carry it all the way from BRU?
If it's in a sealed duty free bag, what difference would it make at which duty free store it's purchased? OP would only have to clear BKK domestic security in either instance.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what difference would it make at which duty free store it's purchased? OP would only have to clear BKK domestic security in either instance.

Honestly, I do not have any experience with this, nor do I remember reading any similar accounts. I assume that mid-field security (at BKK) would confiscate liquids over 100 ml regardless of the BRU DF packaging, but I may well be wrong. BKK DF shops after mid-field security ask if you are continuing on a flight and seal bags, so am fairly certain that is OK.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:52 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I've done this as recently as 2 days ago.

Buy, upon landing in BKK. Go through immigration. Go up to departures, check in for my flight, and through airport security.

In fact, I always buy after landing in Thailand and then I connect through BKK security without an issue.

You can easily pass through any airport security in Thailand with a properly sealed duty free purchase.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

in other words, dont buy in BRU, just buy in BKK? would buying in BRU be an issue?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:48 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Depends on prices. Duty free doesn't mean commission free. Some duty free shops are quite expensive. Some are great deals. I'm happy with the price and selection ay Power buy. Keep in mind that you can only bring in 1 litre... so, maybe it's more a matter of convenience where liquor is concerned.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Buy it at Duty Free in BKK.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Buy it at Duty Free in BKK.
This is right when I land? After customs? after i go back through security?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is right when I land? After customs? after i go back through security?
Whether you are connecting to TG or PG for the BKK-USM segment you'll just head to the int-dom immigration/security area at the confluence of A/B/C/D concourses. If you need, to the side of the area, is the domestic transfer desk.

You'll need to purchase anything you want prior to going through the area.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Whether you are connecting to TG or PG for the BKK-USM segment you'll just head to the int-dom immigration/security area at the confluence of A/B/C/D concourses. If you need, to the side of the area, is the domestic transfer desk.

You'll need to purchase anything you want prior to going through the area.
According to this link from BKK airport website, (http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/22...-boarding-pass)
Its immediately heading to passport control after getting off the plane. I am assuming there must be a duty free shopping place somewhere between getting off plane and heading to passport control?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to this link from BKK airport website, (http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/22...-boarding-pass)
Its immediately heading to passport control after getting off the plane. I am assuming there must be a duty free shopping place somewhere between getting off plane and heading to passport control?
There definitely are some clustered near the main immi area as well as at the baggage carousels. Can't remember if there are any at the A/B/C/D confluence though I'd be surprised if not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.