Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Beach resort for 4 days / 3 nights (from BKK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA

Hello,

We are currently planning a 2-week Thailand/Laos itinerary, arriving in Chiang Mai and departing from Bangkok.

We are at the moment considering the following :
- Chiang Mai : 2 nights (already been there)
- Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang : 2 days / 1 night (travel by slow boat)
- Luang Prabang : 4 nights
- Beach resort : 3 nights
- Bangkok : 3 nights

Since our schedule is quite tight, we're looking for a beach resort that wouldn't be too far from BKK (we would be flying from Luang Prabang), but still secluded enough to have a peaceful atmosphere (our reference would be the former LM Khao Lak), which seems to exclude Pattaya and Hua Hin.

Trat province / Ko Chang at first seemed like an option, but is a bit far for our purpose (5+ hours by road/ferry).

We haven't been to Thailand for a while and would thus like to fit as much as possible into this trip.

What would your recommandations be?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by yann
Hello,

We are currently planning a 2-week Thailand/Laos itinerary, arriving in Chiang Mai and departing from Bangkok.

We are at the moment considering the following :
- Chiang Mai : 2 nights (already been there)
- Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang : 2 days / 1 night (travel by slow boat)
- Luang Prabang : 4 nights
- Beach resort : 3 nights
- Bangkok : 3 nights

Since our schedule is quite tight, we're looking for a beach resort that wouldn't be too far from BKK (we would be flying from Luang Prabang), but still secluded enough to have a peaceful atmosphere (our reference would be the former LM Khao Lak), which seems to exclude Pattaya and Hua Hin.

Trat province / Ko Chang at first seemed like an option, but is a bit far for our purpose (5+ hours by road/ferry).

We haven't been to Thailand for a while and would thus like to fit as much as possible into this trip.

What would your recommandations be?

Thanks in advance.
Why would it exclude Hua Hin? About 2.5 hours by car from BKK.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I might have the wrong impression, but Hua Hin seems like it is too developped for our tastes, although there may be hidden gems there.

Edit: I've booked the Hilton Hua Hin on C&P (seems to be the best value among the chain hotels), just in case.

Last edited by yann; Dec 29, 2014 at 4:26 am
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Ko Samet has been mentioned in a previous thread and looks like an interesting option.

Any experience there?

Thanks again.

Edit: I just checked the hotels there and they don't really look like they're worth the high prices.

Last edited by yann; Dec 29, 2014 at 4:02 am
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No it is not. Try 31/2 on a good day and off peak, with 4-5 hours on nightmare days. I know because I do this commute regularly.
The express bus from BKK that drives at breakneck speeds does it in 3 1/2 hours at off-peak.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
No it is not. Try 31/2 on a good day and off peak, with 4-5 hours on nightmare days. I know because I do this commute regularly.
The express bus from BKK that drives at breakneck speeds does it in 3 1/2 hours at off-peak.
There is the train, but I don't think it is any faster. However the Hua Hin train station is very picturesque.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
There is the train, but I don't think it is any faster. However the Hua Hin train station is very picturesque.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just did it. The 9.20 is supposed to arrive at 13:30. My express train arrived at 15:30.
Standing room only. Service is 3rd class commuter coach featuring filthy hard plastic seats. Although only 44 baht, it was the biggest mistake of my life. Watching the monks and schoolkids throw plastic trash from the windows in the countryside was heartbreaking.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Considering travel times, I'm now leaning towards flying (we'll be in BKK anyway) and staying close to the destination airport.

Mai Khao in Phuket seems like a good option (not far from the airport & relatively secluded). But isn't it too close to the airport (meaning that we'll be hearing air traffic all day long) ?

Any other recommandation (maybe in Krabi) ?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by yann
Any other recommandation (maybe in Krabi) ?
Go to Pranburi, south of Hua Hin, hotels like Aleenta, Praseban, Purimuntra or Villa Maroc should fit your needs

Still I strongly recommend to revise your travel plan, imho too many destinations in such a short time
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I normally go to Hua Hin when I need a break from Bangkok.... It's quite nice if you go to one of the better or more secluded hotels. The Hilton isn't that, it's in the middle of a whorehouse :-).

Hua Hin is not too long of a drive either. But I agree that you are visiting too many places, those travel days really cut into your time at the destination.

I like the Grand Hyat in Bangkok, and they have an easy (and cheap) shuttle to their Hua Hin property. For me that's quite a good combination when visiting Bangkok.... In fact I'm doing that now :-).

Last edited by RTW1; Jan 1, 2015 at 5:20 am
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
^ Ko Samet,

Very easy by hired car or bus to the pier in Ban Phe and with speed boar or ferry to Ko Samet.

I recommend Le Vimarn Cottages & Spa, really nice but expensive in high season. Weekends are more expensive on Ko Samet due to many weekend visitors from BKK
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Mai Khao is a terrific idea. I was just at the Phuket Beach Club (connected to J W Marriott) for a week over the new year. There is no airplane noise at all! Yes, you are not far from the airport, maybe 20-25 minutes by car. The beach is lovely and it is not at all busy. We drove, just to have a look, from Bangtao Beach all the way down to Kata Noi Beach, and were so glad that we stayed at Mai Khao!! Every other place had very busy beaches. Traffic was crazy. Mai Khao has a much more "rural" feel to it.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:10 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
You are coming to SE Asia for 2 weeks and spending 3 nights at the beach.

First questions you should be asking yourself is...
... what if it rains?

The next question is "where is it more likely to be dry weather during the month we visit?" What month you are coming?

Then go to that part of Thailand.

Sounds like you want a RESORT (based on your comment of the Le Meridien KL), not a DESTINATION. I was going to suggest Khao Lak based on that comment, then realized anywhere with the right resort and the right weather will likely suit you.

Pick the right resort in the right zone and you're all set.

Don't over think it.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by 2lovelife

First questions you should be asking yourself is...
... what if it rains?
2lovelife is on the money - your first consideration should be when are you travelling and therefore which side of the peninsula should you be on for best chance of dry weather. If you do head to Phuket I also recommend some of the beaches near the airport - hidden gems, surprisingly quiet and much less touristy than further down the west coast. Your tight schedule is going to restrict your options of course - I could recommend stunning islands but you wouldn't have the time to make the necessary plane / bus / boat transfers in order to make them worth your while on this trip.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your answers so far.

Sorry I didn't mention it in my OP, but we will be going at the end of March.

From my understanding, the weather is likely to be correct on both sides at that time of the year (but I may be wrong).

At this point, we're most likely to end up in Mai Khao.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.