Wiki Posts
Search

Booking airfare locally vs online

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: N/A
Booking airfare locally vs online

From my understanding booking flights on the ground at BKK or DMK end up being cheaper than booking online. Could anyone please provide me what you think the “on-the-ground” local prices may be like for the following flights? I am trying to see if it is worth the premium to book ahead.

I’ve included the online prices in parantheses.

1) Koh-Samui to Siem Reap ($250-300) $250 w/ 2 diff airlines, $300 if booking together
2) Siem Reap to Bangkok DMK ($82)

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
It used ta be that it was hard to beat the Khao San Road travel agents, and I used 'em quite a bit in the late 90s to go around the region, sometimes even earning miles (like on NW for a TPE RT on KL).

Then, however, the LCCs like Air Asia came along and got bigger, and those didn't adhere to the old commission model and did most bookings over the Internet. Hit them early enough or with a sale and it's hard for non-LCCs (which, by the way, include Bangkok Airways) to beat them even though with the LCCs they charge separately for bags and just about everything else.

In your case the DMK-REP sounds reasonable but the USM-REP doesn't. If you take the ferry across to URT (Surat Thani) and fly out of there it's likely cheaper. Even KUL-REP will be cheaper.

These days on Khao San Rd. they arrange lots of overland bus trips to REP, something that wasn't do-able on my first trip in 1997 when I flew BKK-PNH on Royal Air Cambodge and took the infamous Tonle Sap boat service to get to REP (couldn't go to Banteay Seri without armed guards because of Khmer Rouge). At least there was a lot less in the way of crowds, and cows have probably found most of the landmines.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by JBG89
From my understanding booking flights on the ground at BKK or DMK end up being cheaper than booking online. Could anyone please provide me what you think the “on-the-ground” local prices may be like for the following flights? I am trying to see if it is worth the premium to book ahead.

I’ve included the online prices in parantheses.

1) Koh-Samui to Siem Reap ($250-300) $250 w/ 2 diff airlines, $300 if booking together
2) Siem Reap to Bangkok DMK ($82)

Thanks!
1) PG will often 'needlessly' up the fare class of one of the segments when booking a transit. For this reason I sometimes book two separate flights. Of course if you're flying out of USM you'll pay the price.

In this particular case you might simply be looking 'direct' flight with a transfer in BKK and that might be the reason for increase in cost.

2) You're looking at FD here. Is that $82 after you account for baggage, seats, oxygen, fee to pay etc? If so even I'd suck it up and step foot on them.

if you want to lower your costs getting to REP then look at the super early PG flights. Often the first (2?) flight(s) of the day will have a lower fare class capable of being booked. Then you can separately purchase a one way flight to REP. While this will potentially lower your cost keep in mind that you're also dealing the o/w international penalty which often will kick you up into a higher fare class.

Also, book through the airline's site and forget about using any OTA.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RustyC
It used ta be that it was hard to beat the Khao San Road travel agents, and I used 'em quite a bit in the late 90s to go around the region, sometimes even earning miles (like on NW for a TPE RT on KL).

Then, however, the LCCs like Air Asia came along and got bigger, and those didn't adhere to the old commission model and did most bookings over the Internet. Hit them early enough or with a sale and it's hard for non-LCCs (which, by the way, include Bangkok Airways) to beat them even though with the LCCs they charge separately for bags and just about everything else.

In your case the DMK-REP sounds reasonable but the USM-REP doesn't. If you take the ferry across to URT (Surat Thani) and fly out of there it's likely cheaper. Even KUL-REP will be cheaper.

These days on Khao San Rd. they arrange lots of overland bus trips to REP, something that wasn't do-able on my first trip in 1997 when I flew BKK-PNH on Royal Air Cambodge and took the infamous Tonle Sap boat service to get to REP (couldn't go to Banteay Seri without armed guards because of Khmer Rouge). At least there was a lot less in the way of crowds, and cows have probably found most of the landmines.

For some reason the flights all jumped to $400!

Thank you for this, it seems i cant find any URT flights available however am looking into KUL.

I also looked into booking 2 separate legs, there seems to be a deal from BKK to REP on angkor air for $60/ a ticket however my card doesnt seem to be going through due to their systems.

Any other help would be appreciated, it seems KUL is the only option <$300 but there are two transfers.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Also would you guys know if i would have visa-re-entry issues if i were to book two flights? It would already be a pain to retrieve and recheck luggage but visa and entry issues on top of that would be even worse!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JBG89
Also would you guys know if i would have visa-re-entry issues if i were to book two flights? It would already be a pain to retrieve and recheck luggage but visa and entry issues on top of that would be even worse!
Two flights meaning what? If you mean A>B and B>C on different tickets and concerned about visa or luggage at B, if you have both tickets you can check luggage through from A>C and stay in transit at B.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys. I booked USM - REP on BKK (one itinerary) for $305

As the poster suggested above, when booking 2 separate legs, i was charged $305 total.
When booking 1 flight (still connecting through BKK) the price went up to $400+

I had to call the agent over the phone to book. While a bit higher than expected, i cant wait!

Thanks for all the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.