Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

PEN Grand Deluxe Suite or MO Mandarin Room for Honeymoon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

We are going to be spending 3-4 nights in BKK for our honeymoon in December and I'm trying to decide between the PEN or MO. I can get a Grand Deluxe Suite at the PEN for $450 per night and a Mandarin Room at the MO for $500. Which would you do for a first trip to BKK?

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I've stayed at both (but not in suites) and would have to say that I would prefer the Pen.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:13 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I too prefer the Pen and you would get a bigger and nicer suite; the one difference is Mandarin Room includes a balcony (important for some) but the Grand Deluxe suites are at the "pointy end" of the building and have better views and layout -- effectively an indoor balcony. Normally the Pen suite would cost more than the MO room, fwiw.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, this is great feedback! I was also inclined toward the PEN suite at these prices, but had not seen a head-to-head comparison of these two rooms.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I'd also go with a Peninsula suite. It's a superb suite in an outstanding hotel.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA *Gold
Only downside to PEN is that it is on the wrong side of the river, meaning you will have to take a shuttle ferry to the MO side to go on MRT, stroll around on Silom/Surawong, etc. That said, the shuttles run continuously.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
The Pen's shuttle ferry can take time, but it's also usually a very entertaining ride that provides an up-close view of life on the Chao Phraya.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by golferjoe
Only downside to PEN is that it is on the wrong side of the river, meaning you will have to take a shuttle ferry to the MO side to go on MRT, stroll around on Silom/Surawong, etc. That said, the shuttles run continuously.
I don't consider it to be on the wrong side of the river. It's the right side to be on if you want the best views. The Oriental also uses barges to shuttle guests between the hotel and Saphan Taksin BTS station, so I see little difference in terms of convenience. The Pen can also take you directly across the river to their own pier next to the Shangri-la.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.