Wiki Posts
Search

Krabi - finding the happy medium

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Krabi - finding the happy medium

Hi all,

My Girlfriend and I will have 4 nights in the Krabi region the 1st week of December (2014). Snorkeling, kayaking, beaching and a day trip inland are on the agenda. A few questions for the experts:

Is the beach at Ao Nang safe to swim or snorkel, or is it too busy and dirty?

Any authentic local eateries in railay or ton sai? The area seems quieter but we don't want to eat at hotels every night.

Is there another beach village we should be looking at?

We are trying to find the happy medium between walkable evening food/bars and swim able beach front serenity with a budget <5000thb / nt. sea front.

Any pointers are appreciated! Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:20 pm

The beach at Ao Nang is very shallow. You want to do your water-sports around the point in Railay. Or, think about Koh Lanta or Khao Lak. There's good cheap food everywhere in Thailand. Don't be afraid of soi-food either.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Aug 27, 2014 at 8:51 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:16 am

Currently in ao nang, arrived yesterday. Plenty of food options along the beach front, have a really good selection of soi food near my hotel, insanely cheap and very tasty.
I haven't had a chance to get out and explore much yet as it has rained quite consistently the last 2 days..

You could always consider staying near the eastern end of ao nang beach front road or the krabi road, that will keep you both within walking distance of just about everything then its only a short trip to Railay for swimming/snorkelling.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response whackyjacky.

I will concentrate on West Railay and do some research on Koh Lanta.

Of course now Choeng Mon, Koh Samui is back in consideration. I suppose deciding between these beaches for vacation is one of the best problems someone could have.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
You could always consider staying near the eastern end of ao nang beach front road or the krabi road, that will keep you both within walking distance of just about everything then its only a short trip to Railay for swimming/snorkelling.
Thanks for the data Firemansam. I was looking at the AoNang Villa Resort on the southeast end of the Ao Nang, or the Centara if I can adjust my dates to the end of november as rates then fall within my budget. That could be a happy medium if we can kayak around the bend for activities.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:47 am

I stayed at Ao Nang Villa maybe 6 or 7 years ago. Great pool. If they've kept it up, it's a nice option. Kinda long kayak to Railay (& back), take a longtail. Watch out for the jellyfish. A French kid ran into one and died this week around there somewhere. IIWY, I'd fly into HKT, rent a car, cross the bridge, and grab a hotel on the beach in Khao Lak.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Aug 27, 2014 at 8:56 am
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:35 pm

I stayed in Ao Nang once but I did not like it as the place was almost completely full of European people. I have nothing against European people, but I did not feel like I was in Thailand. I might have well been in Spain.

I did have nice views of the ocean, and fun island hopping.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I stayed in Ao Nang once but I did not like it as the place was almost completely full of European people. I have nothing against European people, but I did not feel like I was in Thailand. I might have well been in Spain.

I did have nice views of the ocean, and fun island hopping.
I also stayed in Ao Nang once for a few nights. Left on Dec 21, 2004. Fortuitous.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I also stayed in Ao Nang once for a few nights. Left on Dec 21, 2004. Fortuitous.
Wow. Just... Wow.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I was there 2 weeks later and Ao Nang seemed untouched. I don't remember any of damage at all. It was spared. I took a boat to Phuket town and had to transfer and wait at Phi Phi. It was completely devastated. We had to climb up to a hotel at the top of the hill to buy a bottle of water as it was the only place open. Khao Lak was wiped off the map. Patong was mostly spared as well. I was told the bars on Bangla were open that night. The S end of the beach got the brunt of it and Le Meridien unluckily was built in a valley on a bay facing the wave and it was ugly.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:49 am

Does anyone have recommendations of places to stay in (or near) Krabi? Perhaps nice but not too expensive?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:56 pm

I stayed at Krabi La Playa resort in Ao Nang in August, nice hotel, clean good rooms, within easy walking distance of eveything and well priced.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:53 pm

They are sold out. Does anyone have any recommendations of places to stay?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

FWIW I just returned from this trip. Stayed at Ko Yao Noi for a few nights and Railay for another few. Both wonderful places.

The Sand Sea Resort in Railay had a listed price of 3900 baht for a private bungalow 'near' Railay west beach (about 200m walk).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.