Reload this Page >

Crackdown on visa runs [denied entry for tourist visa rule abuse]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crackdown on visa runs [denied entry for tourist visa rule abuse]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:50 pm

A couple of years back, the government introduced the rule that you could be in country 90 days out of 180 days. Why didn't that solve the problem?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by glob99
A couple of years back, the government introduced the rule that you could be in country 90 days out of 180 days. Why didn't that solve the problem?
There is no problem with those people. It's the 180 days out of 180 days with back to back (to back to back to back to back.......) 90 days entries that is the problem.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by glob99
It was only a restriction on the use of visa exemption stamps during any 180 day period.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
One of the issues with work permits is that a company getting a permit for a foreigner must show that there are no locals that are competent to do the job. And certain jobs are restricted to Thai only (tour guides come to mind).
I had a one year work permit which was recently renewed for two years. We didn't have to show anything like that.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I had a one year work permit which was recently renewed for two years. We didn't have to show anything like that.
American passport. Amity Treaty. Irrelevant to anyone who isn't American.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:17 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
An American passport does not automatically allow anyone to the benefits of the Amity treaty. You can own a company registered as an Amity company. The company has benefits from the treaty.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Aug 14, 2014 at 8:33 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
An American passport does not automatically allow anyone to the benefits of the Amity treaty. You can own a company registered as an Amity company. The company has benefits from the treaty.
Exactly, 2lovelife. Amity Treaty benefits are granted to a company based on a number of factors. Certain industries are excluded from consideration under the Treaty. You have to first apply to the U.S. Embassy for some certifications and paperwork, then take all of that plus additional application forms to the Ministry of Commerce. Your company will be granted favored status under the Treaty of Amity unless there is a specific reason not to. It's pretty straightforward unless the industry your company is in is one which is disqualified from consideration.

I believe that this list of activities excluded from consideration under the Treaty is current (actually, I believe that these restrictions apply to all non-Thais, whether American or not, and whether in a company or not):
  • Owning land;
  • Engaging in the business of inland communication;
  • Engaging in inland transportation and communication industries;
  • Engaging in fiduciary functions;
  • Engaging in banking involving depository functions;
  • Engaging in domestic trade in indigenous agricultural products;
  • Exploiting land or other natural resources
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
From The Nation:

"BANGKOK: -- The military has told the Immigration Bureau to be flexible with "visa runners", junta chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said Friday.

The runners can register with the bureau, which will find a sustainable resolution to the problem, he said in his weekly televised programme last night.

Foreigners had been exploiting tourist visas and visas on arrival by illegally working in the country, mostly as English teachers. ... "

Read more:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/brea...-30241608.html

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 24, 2014 at 2:48 am Reason: Snipped for copyright rule compliance
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:51 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
From The Nation:

"BANGKOK: -- The military has told the Immigration Bureau to be flexible with "visa runners", junta chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said Friday.

The runners can register with the bureau, which will find a sustainable resolution to the problem, he said in his weekly televised programme last night.
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I predict this "crackdown" will fall apart well before the end of the year. But, I've been wrong before.
Surprise, surprise.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:25 pm

So the "crackdown" lasted 2 weeks. It shows how little I know. My over/under was 2 months. ps: Now that I've actually read the article, it looks like he's talking about a loophole for English teachers. A good BKK Post article on the situation here:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/inve...end-of-the-run

Last edited by whackyjacky; Aug 27, 2014 at 1:22 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
So the "crackdown" lasted 2 weeks. It shows how little I know. My over/under was 2 months. ps: Now that I've actually read the article, it looks like he's talking about a loophole for English teachers. A good BKK Post article on the situation here:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/inve...end-of-the-run
I wonder how many of the other changes the junta is putting in will die like this one. I heard they were talking about banning booze sales after midnight. I kind of don't think that will happen.

For the record, I think cracking down on visa runners is long overdue and I wish they would strictly enforce rules on visas and working. Particularly for English teachers.

Please post your flame here ______________________________________.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:43 pm

No flame here. Thailand doesn't care for farang much, except for their money. Considering the character of a lot of these guys doing the visa dance, I don't blame them. They really should make work permits mandatory for hiring English teachers though. These schools are cheap & lazy. Thailand is down at the bottom of world English proficiency tests.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Aug 27, 2014 at 11:20 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

For the record, I think cracking down on visa runners is long overdue and I wish they would strictly enforce rules on visas and working. Particularly for English teachers.
No flame here, but I am curious why you as a Westerner (I think) would feel so strongly this way.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Thailand doesn't care for farang much, except for their money.
My experience has been very different. I have actually been surprised at the warmth that I, a foreigner and relative stranger, have received from so many here, -- and mostly from people who are not in a position to derive economic gain from me or my money. I'm talking real caring and a true generosity of spirit. I could give you some examples; but they would only be individual data points, of course. I'm sorry that your experience has been different.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:22 pm

I shoud've explained it better. I was really talking about the Government.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.