Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Damn, have a 1 day+ stop in BKK next week and staying at the Four Seasons, it's right in between 2 intersection shutdowns. Should I rebook:
there are ways to use the back streets , between Asok and Soi 2

the only problem is getting under the expressway at Soi Zero , but there is a back way on the even soi side from Asok ,

and also there are a few ways on the odd soi side including Soi 11 to get you to Asok but I am not sure if the large Asok protestor tent is in the way.

The other bottle neck would be the Klong - canal to get to Petchaburi road, there are only a couple streets that go across it.

I am sure the taxi drivers know the ways now !
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Damn, have a 1 day+ stop in BKK next week and staying at the Four Seasons, it's right in between 2 intersection shutdowns. Should I rebook:
A friend is on the same Ratchadamri St, about 1 1/2 blocks up. She said traffic is sometimes blocked for cars and only BTS available. You might want to consider a move to a Sukhumvit location or maybe Wireless Rd....

Last edited by dtsm; Jan 15, 2014 at 8:49 am
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Bangkok Marriott and transportation

Hi,
I'm supposed to stay for two nights next week at the BKK Marriott.

Am I correct that it's not directly near an demonstration sites? Is the MRT the best way to get there? I only have carry on. Alternatively should I arrange for a car from the hotel to pick me up?

My other plan is to stay in laos one day longer and just transit thru BKK. I haven't been there since 1980 and would like to do some shopping but not if it's going to be a hassle

Cheers
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:49 pm

Marriot on Soi 2 ? What time ?

if at midnight , just take a taxi and pay the expressway toll , it will exit right across the street from Soi 2

daytime you could take taxi to BTS Skytrain at Bang Na or near there , take the BTS to Nana exit

The MRT is the underground , no direct link from the Airport except the Airport link (ends at Midnight) , which you need to exit at Petchaburi , walk a bit and then take the MRT one exit and get off at Sukhumvit , then you can walk to soi 2 or get on the BTS for one stop.......

The Protestors are at Asok and Sukhumvit which is where the MRT and BTS meet ,

Hope that helps, I would just take a taxi as long as expressway is open
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Currently you can take a taxi at anytime. There are no queues so it will only take 30 minutes to get to the Marriot at Soi2 even at rush hour (there are some advantages to the shutdown)
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Marriot on Soi 2 ? What time ?

if at midnight , just take a taxi and pay the expressway toll , it will exit right across the street from Soi 2

daytime you could take taxi to BTS Skytrain at Bang Na or near there , take the BTS to Nana exit

The MRT is the underground , no direct link from the Airport except the Airport link (ends at Midnight) , which you need to exit at Petchaburi , walk a bit and then take the MRT one exit and get off at Sukhumvit , then you can walk to soi 2 or get on the BTS for one stop.......

The Protestors are at Asok and Sukhumvit which is where the MRT and BTS meet ,

Hope that helps, I would just take a taxi as long as expressway is open

It would be a 2:30pm arrival at BKK. Does that make it worse for traffic? Sorry, I confused the BTS and MRT. If there is no traffic I guess taxi would be quick.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:27 am

Heard from a good Thai friend that hotels along Sukhumvit/Ploenchit from Asok --> Siam Square are pretty much unaccessible. He said that the area around the Grand Hyatt was immovable, but other hotels were also affected. He is mainly speaking about ground transport, which is what I will be needing, but I can take the BTS/MRT if necessary.

From the read here, sounds a bit different and maybe things are not that bad (and also talked to staff from the JW who indicated that it was not that bad).

Those that are there now, thoughts? Debating on hotel location for next week.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:39 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Can anyone comment on the Sathorn area? Staying at the Ascott on Sathorn Nuea Road Feb 8-10 and Feb 15-17.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eastnortheast
He said that the area around the Grand Hyatt was immovable, but other hotels were also affected.
Sorry, but that's simply not true.... I've just left the hotel this morning. By car, but taxi's were also available. Late afternoon traffic starts to get a bit more obstructed but the back entrance and for instance the Four Seasons have been reachable just fine.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:51 pm
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
Originally Posted by c_9
Can anyone comment on the Sathorn area? Staying at the Ascott on Sathorn Nuea Road Feb 8-10 and Feb 15-17.
We are staying at Eastin Grand Sathorn ... today there was a rally below the hotel that began about noon. A lot of speeches and flags and traffic congestion. We left during the rally to go to Wat Pho...took BTS to the river then ferry...everyone was friendly and no problems. When we returned the rally was over and the protesters gone.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Coming in late Wed (22 Jan). Have room booked at Marriott Courtyard. Plane scheduled to arrive at 11 pm, so into taxi by say 11:45. Will this be a problem? I've also got a room at the airport Novatel, but I'd rather stay in Bangkok.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Unless your hotel is right in the middle of one of the areas they have blocked off then there will be no problem getting to it (the taxi's have now worked out routes around all the main blockages). So even if your hotel is like the Hyatt and only a few meters from one of the blocked off areas then you can still get to it by road.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
It would be a 2:30pm arrival at BKK. Does that make it worse for traffic? Sorry, I confused the BTS and MRT. If there is no traffic I guess taxi would be quick.
add an 30 minutes to get out the door of the airport......

I would get a taxi downstairs from the official taxi stand , but I have a lot of luggage , its less than $15

But you can take the airport link BTS. get off at Makkasan which is at Asok and Petchaburi and take a taxi from there , Asok will probably be closed off so they will need to go down to soi 3 to get to Sukhumvit , its 10-15 minute taxi ride....

My friend who lives on Soi 2 says there are a lot of Taxis around and they are taking the back streets,

hope that helps
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
Sorry, but that's simply not true.... I've just left the hotel this morning. By car, but taxi's were also available. Late afternoon traffic starts to get a bit more obstructed but the back entrance and for instance the Four Seasons have been reachable just fine.
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback. Info much appreciated.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:31 am

HI,

I am flying in on Monday the 3rd of February around 1600hrs and will be staying at Conrad on Wireless Road.

Will I have an issue to get there?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.