CC cash advance only option? (Chase)

Subscribe
Slight miscalculation of funds as I've discovered credit card acceptance in Thailand is not very high so running through my cash too quickly. Don't have an ATM card but have Chase CCs (and a Chase bank account back home).

Chase has an "office" in Bangkok. Can I access funds there or is that a commercial office? And if I need to get cash via CC advance (yes I know, expensive, $4 per $50) is that done at a regular ATM? Thanks-
Quote: Slight miscalculation of funds as I've discovered credit card acceptance in Thailand is not very high so running through my cash too quickly.
Interesting comment. I live virtually cash-less in Bangkok. Other than micro-transactions (street-vendors) and taxis the CC acceptance is quite solid. You can load your MRT/BTS tickets with a CC - even Amex! All supermarkets and cinemas and even public utilities are taking at least visa/master. Are you located in the province ?

Quote: Don't have an ATM card but have Chase CCs (and a Chase bank account back home).
Most ATM are connected to the Visa or MasterCard network. On the back of your CC you will find a bunch of logos. Either "PLUS" or "Jetco" or a Visa / Mastercard logo. Finding an ATM that will work is as simple as matching the logo on the back of your card to the logo on the ATM. If the card has a Jetco logo and the ATM does, too, you are in business. If is a Visa card and the ATM displays a visa logo, you are in business.

Here's the thing: If this card is also linked to your Chase checking or savings account in the US and it has a PLUS logo on the back, you should be able to go to an ATM with a PLUS logo and select "withdraw funds" and then select your checking / savings account. This would be a normal overseas withdrawal with lower fees than a cash advance from your credit card account.

Quote: Chase has an "office" in Bangkok. Can I access funds there or is that a commercial office? And if I need to get cash via CC advance (yes I know, expensive, $4 per $50) is that done at a regular ATM? Thanks-
I am not aware of Chase having any retail operations in Thailand. Highly doubt that there is anyone who can assist you at that office.

Interestingly they do have a price list for a bunch of plain vanilla retail banking sort of services on their website but the website only shows commercial, IB and private banking tabs for Thailand.
Quote: And if I need to get cash via CC advance (yes I know, expensive, $4 per $50) is that done at a regular ATM?
Do you have the PIN? If I am not mistaken, you will need PIN to get cash advance via CC at ATMs.

Have you factored in the finance charges on cash advance? I seriously doubt it would be only $4 per $50, if you have made any other charge on the same card in the current billing cycle. Everything on that card will start accumulating daily interest from Day One you trigger cash advance. Not to mention Chase doesn't give low APR for CCs. Depending on how much cash you need, it may be more cost effective to have someone send you money from the States.

I don't know about Thailand but one thing that had worked for me in the U.S. was to get cash from the merchants upon paying. Ask the cashiers if they can add say another $40 to your $12 charge, so you'll have a $52 transaction on CC with $40 cash at hand (finance charge free). It won't hurt to try the same trick and ask some friendly merchants in Thailand. Good luck!
I think some people get a cash advance at the counter, in any bank here - or at an ATM (some limits apply, maybe 20,000 baht max., and another 150/180 baht fee unless using an AEON ATM). Then pay the 1% fee, then immediately transfer money into the CC account - using on-line banking - within a day or so, and may pay little or no APR.

I think I've seen some Chase branches here; I think foreign banks can currently have up to five retail locations - this may change in the near future - maybe in Central World (Chit Lom BTS/Ratchadamri) or Mega Bang Na (I know, way out of town).
Update
Called Chase, had a PIN created and did the cash advance on the Visa card, yes, exorbitant rates (3% or $10 minimum, whichever is greater) but you do what you have to do. Regarding Visa acceptance, the issue is with tour operators, whom elsewhere have had no issues taking CCs but not here, or at least not those I've had to deal with.

But after tonight's fine dining, perhaps I didn't need the ATM after all. Who knew you could dine so well on less than $3? ^