Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

19 hour layover in BKK, what would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

flying from BNE -BKK- LHR with 19 hour layover at BKK, Is it worth going into town and what would you do. Flying business so have ability to sleep on plane. What would you do if you? What one thing would you do?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:39 pm

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Cool

I'd change to an earlier flight.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA1k, AA EXP, PC Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrclshppn
flying from BNE -BKK- LHR with 19 hour layover at BKK, Is it worth going into town and what would you do. Flying business so have ability to sleep on plane. What would you do if you? What one thing would you do?
Do sisters count as one thing or two?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt

LOL +1 to InTokyo, however I'd go into the center of town and grab a bit to eat, check out the market maybe
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by geeprice
Originally Posted by mrclshppn
Problem with such activities in BKK is A LOT of underage girls posing as 18+
It's a common problem across the region. Lots of sex traffickers. I'd stay away from "the ladies of the night"
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Thailand Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Day of week? Time(s) of day? Even exact date as it may be holiday. What kind of things do you like to do?

There have been plenty of similar threads here over the years, many with nearly the full range of suggestions including transportation options, cultural, shopping, eating, massage, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: most of them
Well, I sure wouldn't want to sit in the airport for 19 hours. But yeah, time of day and day of the week makes a something of a difference. If you've not been to Bangkok before I would probably go see the Grand Palace and Wat Po for sure.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
+1 Grand Palace
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My one suggestion would be to go to the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall. The crafts on display (using precious metals and gems) are mind blowing, from a beauty, skill and opulence points of view.

It's part of the Teak Palace complex. No shorts allowed (as most of the major Thai sites).

Combine that with one of the million places to eat. If you want to splurge, Breeze is unforgettable - al fresco on the 51st floor. Very pricey but the best meal I had in Thailand. (Second best was a very inexpensive place in Chaing Mai).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by beachfan
My one suggestion would be to go to the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall. The crafts on display (using precious metals and gems) are mind blowing, from a beauty, skill and opulence points of view.
I enjoy the Dusit Palace of Rama V significantly moreso than the Grand Palace. ^
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by geeprice
We may have to go to the judges for a ruling, but 1 if they're 'Siamese Twins' IMO.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
That definition, and the other of "she's my sister", provides considerable scope as I suspect you well know.....
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
As others have said it depends:
  • on what time of day/night you are arriving
  • what really interests you
  • if you have been to Bangkok before

Personally, I would would do more than one thing if I had 19 hours in Bangkok. So, I will not really answer your question. But, if it were me, I would:
  • Clear immigration & customs {2 hours}
  • Have a massage [your choice of naughty or nice] {2 hours}
  • Have a traditional Thai meal [none of that 'Hi-so' stuff for me] {90 minutes}
  • Have a haircut, shave, manicure and pedicure {90 minutes}
  • Have time left over for impromptu activity and misc. travel time {10.5 hours}
  • Return to airport/check-in/depart {2.5 hours}
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM

Personally, I would would do more than one thing if I had 19 hours in Bangkok. So, I will not really answer your question. But, if it were me, I would:
  • Clear immigration & customs {2 hours}
Glad I've never been on your flights. 2 hours? Even in the worst of the immigration problems I've never had more than 1hr to curbside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.