Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

6 Hour layover in BKK, can I make it to Siam Square and back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Executive, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold

I have a 6 hour layover in BKK in August on a Saturday (Flight TG 659, arrives 1:25 pm and Flight TG 425, departs 7:25 pm), is this enough time to exit the airport and go to the Hard Rock Café and then make it back to the airport in time for my departure. I’ll already be checked into the Flight 425 with boarding passes in hand. What’s the quickest ways to get Siam Square from the airport, and costs, should I hire a car before hand to be there waiting? Any heads up I should be warned about that could throw a wrench into my plans?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Considering the time that it will take you to get to the street, assuming an on-time arrival, and the time you need to give for getting through immigration (and the potential for having to pay the departure tax) you really only 4 hrs max.

What can go wrong? Everything. Why do you need to go to the Hard Rock?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
You will have no trouble at all, many people do this. Once through Immigration, take a taxi from outside the arrivals hall and on the way back to the airport, just remember it is getting close to peak hour. If you have some spare cash, you can get a AOT limo Camry to take you in, wait and come back. These cars are available just after baggage collection
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
<snip> you really only 4 hrs max.

Why do you need to go to the Hard Rock?
Don't see the attraction, but certainly doable.

Being a budget traveler, I'd say skip the taxis and the traffic, take the airport train from/to the airport and grab a taxi when in town. Can't get stuck in BKK's infamous traffic jams @:-)

Oh, did the train during rush hour about a month ago for less than two hours in town Left luggage at BKK costs 100 Baht per piece, passport required (at least in int'l terminal).

EmailKid
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BKKROP
...just remember it is getting close to peak hour. If you have some spare cash, you can get a AOT limo Camry to take you in, wait and come back.
Interesting advice to warn about 'peak hour'( = notorious Bangkok traffic) and then recommend a car. The last thing I'd recommend would be car transport back to BKK between 4-6PM. The trains, city line or express, would be a much better bet.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Don't see the attraction, but certainly doable.
Doable yes, but alot of hustle for the.... Hard Rock?

For Siam Square your best bet is the train to Phaya Thai and then BTS two stops to Siam. Depending upon the airport train schedule you can be at Siam Square in 30 min (or it could take upwards of 45). A taxi will likely get snarled in traffic once off the highway but it might be a better choice then waiting for a train... On the way back the train will be your friend.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Executive, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
[QUOTE=dsquared37;18692730]
Doable yes, but alot of hustle for the.... Hard Rock?
QUOTE]

Yah, I hear you. It’s just a small traveling quirk I do, grabbing a shot glass and a shirt. Thanks for your advice!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: most of them
yeah, I agree that the train makes a lot more sense in this case especially since Siam Square is right there at the Siam BTS station. Should be a good bit cheaper too, right? 45 baht each way for the airport train and something like 20 baht each way for BTS
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Perfect situation for the train, IMO. You will have no problem at all with that much time...it is plenty. Taxi is fine also but train is guaranteed on time. Only thing that could slow you down is departure emmigration...it can get backed up but if you happen to have a fast track pass then it is not a problem at all.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: AE, MP, DL, AA, Accor Platinum (But aren't we all?)
I admire OP's dedication to go through the hassle even if just for the shot glass. I collect them (shot glasses) from different places that FT has helped me to travel to, and it is always a great reminder of your time in different cities. As mentioned by other FTers, use the train. Much better than hedging your bets on Bangkok traffic. And keep a window open for security clearance when coming back. I flew BKK-PEK in Aug and just clearing security took 55 minutes. Check-in, immigration and getting to the gate combined took less time than security.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:37 am

you can make it.

I agree, it makes sense to drop your luggage off at the airport and take the airport link to phaya thai and off to siam station.

This is definitely doable by airport link + bts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.