Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration Delays Departing BKK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Immigration Delays Departing BKK

Over the past few weeks, perhaps related to the bombing incident last month in Bangkok (although I'm not sure why) there have been many, many first hand reports of upwards of two-hour waits to clear Immigration when departing Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport (BKK).

For those departing you may wish to consider giving yourself some extra time?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...t-immigration/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...irport-122012/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...t-of-thailand/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...eck-in-delays/

Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus Forum Immigration thread: Warning on current immigration clearance time

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 6, 2012 at 7:55 am Reason: add link to FT TG Forum thread on same topic
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
I was there last weekend and can confirm immigration was an absolute zoo departing on Sunday afternoon. If you have an APEC card be sure to ask where the express entrance is so you can avoid the queue.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by splatnz
I was there last weekend and can confirm immigration was an absolute zoo departing on Sunday afternoon. If you have an APEC card be sure to ask where the express entrance is so you can avoid the queue.
Departing pax in premium cabins can (assuming that their carriers participate, CX does) use the crew immigration and security screening areas for departures. I was there about five hours ago (Sunday, 4 March, around 1700). Four immigration officers open, I was the only one in the area.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
For about the last 6 weeks both arriving and departing immigration have been a total nightmare. However you can still be lucky I arrived about 5pm last Wednesday and there was only a short queue at immigration. But arrived at 7pm the previous Friday anf the immigration queue was all out of the immirgration area, down the ramp and snaking around the terminal.

Sometimes it is worth checking out the other immigration area if the first one you come to is very bad. Unlikely that the other one will be empty but it may not have as bad a queue.

If you do not have fast track then I would allow an hour to get through immigration at the moment when departing.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Is this for all departures (international and domestic) or just international?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Is this for all departures (international and domestic) or just international?
Just international. There is no need to clear immigration for domestic departures.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Departing pax in premium cabins can (assuming that their carriers participate, CX does) use the crew immigration and security screening areas for departures. I was there about five hours ago (Sunday, 4 March, around 1700). Four immigration officers open, I was the only one in the area.
Does anyone know whether TG and UA participate? I'll be traveling in J several times in the next few months, in and out of Bangkok.

And where are these special lines, both for arriving and departing passengers?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Does anyone know whether TG and UA participate? I'll be traveling in J several times in the next few months, in and out of Bangkok.

And where are these special lines, both for arriving and departing passengers?
Supposedly UA does; can't say as I haven't flown them in/out of BKK in years.

TG has a special departure immigration area for C/F pax that only TG uses. You'll be through in a flash.

TG also has a setup for arrival C/F pax but it has apparently changed in the last few weeks (from using Fast Track cards to simply using your BP) and I haven't been able to glean more info. Lines might be long here, but shorter than the normal immy lines.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37

TG has a special departure immigration area for C/F pax that only TG uses. You'll be through in a flash.

TG also has a setup for arrival C/F pax but it has apparently changed in the last few weeks (from using Fast Track cards to simply using your BP) and I haven't been able to glean more info. Lines might be long here, but shorter than the normal immy lines.
Thanks! Do you know where I'd find the expedited lines upon arrival on UA (assuming I qualify) and TG? Do I just keep walking past the regular lines?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks! Do you know where I'd find the expedited lines upon arrival on UA (assuming I qualify) and TG? Do I just keep walking past the regular lines?
Look for the signs "Premium Lane" or "Fast Track"
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: various
There is a very active thread on this issue on the Thai Airways Forum (Miles and Points). Not sure why we need another one here.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jiejie
There is a very active thread on this issue on the Thai Airways Forum (Miles and Points). Not sure why we need another one here.
Not everyone going to Thailand is flying TG.

But those who don't monitor both threads will be missing copious amounts of info.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:43 am

Not everyone going to Thailand is flying TG.

But those who don't monitor both threads will be missing copious amounts of info.
Yep, agree, I'm not flying TG and am in Bangkok this weekend. Had I not visited the Thailand forum I would have had no idea about the delays.

Off to the TG thread no though!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

I have had luck getting a FastTrack Pass from UA for outbound BKK-->NRT flight. I usually have to ask, and I think it is given as a perk to a 1K versus being in the C cabin.

Inbound BKK from NRT, I have received a FastTrack Pass in UA F, but never in UA C. Unless during high season or other busy time (CNY, etc), I have not had to wait long coming into BKK at the 2300 hour arrival time though.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have had luck getting a FastTrack Pass from UA for outbound BKK-->NRT flight. I usually have to ask, and I think it is given as a perk to a 1K versus being in the C cabin.

Inbound BKK from NRT, I have received a FastTrack Pass in UA F, but never in UA C. Unless during high season or other busy time (CNY, etc), I have not had to wait long coming into BKK at the 2300 hour arrival time though.
Agree - pretty sure that UA only gives to intl First Class or Global Service passengers (regardless of fare). Based on the above, maybe 1K also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.