Wiki Posts
Search

Flooding around Bangkok - where and how bad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
Flooding around Bangkok - where and how bad

I looked and did not see a thread on the flooding that is happening around Bangkok and headed to the city in a few days ,

Many areas up-river are under 6 feet / 2 meters of water and this water is headed south towards Bangkok ,

Anyone in Bangkok now have news , I have been reading ThaiVisa so far.

Just wondering how the tourist areas will be, BTS will probably be fine but taxis and buses may have a problem ,

Anyway here is a place to post what you see,

Good luck , stay dry

RB
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:13 pm

Floods-Can Bangkok stay dry? Govt moves to protect inner city

Govt moves to protect inner city <link>

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm Reason: redacted copyrighted material
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:06 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Am currently at the Crowne Plaza and they have a huge pile of sand bags ready,

Went to the pier at BTS stop S6 and the river seems very high, there are sand bags in place. Hope they're not needed.

I saw one area where it was all women filling the sand bags,
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:16 am

No sign of flooding from the 29th floor of the Conrad, but lots of sandbags and prep going on around the city.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
No sign of flooding from the JW Marriott but I can't see the river from here either.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:46 am
Original Poster

it seems they plan on doing AMAZING work in a couple days to keep out the water ,

20+KM sandbag wall near the airport which is built on reclaimed swamp land anyway ,

and maybe the most "interesting" is 100 big boats at the mouth of the river that are going to push the water back into the sea at high tide !

Some of the sandbag dikes have already broken upstream and no one knows how they will hold around Bangkok ,

But they seem to be ready to let the other side of the river basin flood to save the city,

I think the problem in the tourist areas will be if there are heavy thunderstorms and there is no where for the water to go because the klongs / canels are filled up so high that water cannot drain into them,

I hope all goes well

RB
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by redondo-beach
it seems they plan on doing AMAZING work in a couple days to keep out the water ,

20+KM sandbag wall near the airport which is built on reclaimed swamp land anyway ,

and maybe the most "interesting" is 100 big boats at the mouth of the river that are going to push the water back into the sea at high tide !

Some of the sandbag dikes have already broken upstream and no one knows how they will hold around Bangkok ,

But they seem to be ready to let the other side of the river basin flood to save the city,

I think the problem in the tourist areas will be if there are heavy thunderstorms and there is no where for the water to go because the klongs / canels are filled up so high that water cannot drain into them,

I hope all goes well

RB
I'm supposed to travel to Bangkok (staying on the river) on Friday for 3 nights and am debating going.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ross0
I'm supposed to travel to Bangkok (staying on the river) on Friday for 3 nights and am debating going.
Well they will try and save the big Hotels , If you are on the city side you may be OK , but if you are on the other side it will have more problems ,

Really no one knows , and the few people who have the most information do not seem to be talking ,
This has been coming for weeks but the unlucky part is the high tides are at the same time so the downstream water has to battle the upstream tidal waters,

I cannot say what you should do, but if its going to cost you big money to cancel than just go and see what happens , I would say call the hotel and ask but Thais are not good at telling you bad news, so read between the lines of whatever they tell you.

On question may be where is the hotels generator , because if its in the basement and it floods there will be no power and you may have to climb the stairs.......

Let us know what you do.....

RB
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by redondo-beach
Well they will try and save the big Hotels , If you are on the city side you may be OK , but if you are on the other side it will have more problems ,

Really no one knows , and the few people who have the most information do not seem to be talking ,
This has been coming for weeks but the unlucky part is the high tides are at the same time so the downstream water has to battle the upstream tidal waters,

I cannot say what you should do, but if its going to cost you big money to cancel than just go and see what happens , I would say call the hotel and ask but Thais are not good at telling you bad news, so read between the lines of whatever they tell you.

On question may be where is the hotels generator , because if its in the basement and it floods there will be no power and you may have to climb the stairs.......

Let us know what you do.....

RB
Supposed to stay at the Mandarin. The hotel said they don't know what will happen, but all is fine now and they are preparing in the event there is flooding. They agreed to be flexible with 24-hour cancellation policy so I can make the decision tomorrow to see what Thursday brings weather-wise. Doesn't seem like a wise move to go into Bangkok this weekend.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:41 am
Original Poster

here is a website with lots of info in English

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2011/...as-in-bangkok/

I guess it matters what you were going to do in Bangkok,

worst case- if the area around the hotel floods then you could be stuck at the hotel , Probably someone will figure out an exit plan to get you to dry ground or BTS , small boats , tall trucks etc ,

if I was going and leaving from home I would go to walmart , and bring a few pair of chest high waders, one for myself and a few for others , that water is going to be real nasty !

A little adventure never hurt anyone

PS......and OK this is overkill but I might bring life vests for others that may need them.... I am sure there will not be any there if you wanted to buy them now.....

RB
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
I believe Google Thailand made a Google maps overlay with up to date status about the flood....

http://flood.gistda.or.th/

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...1&source=embed

Last edited by forumpersona999; Oct 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:28 pm

Heard a 2nd hand report that some people got stranded half way to the airport yesterday, and had to turn back and take the monorail train instead.
I came out from Central Bangkok to the airport this morning and there was no evidence at all of any flooding on that route.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tezzer
Heard a 2nd hand report that some people got stranded half way to the airport yesterday, and had to turn back and take the monorail train instead.
I came out from Central Bangkok to the airport this morning and there was no evidence at all of any flooding on that route.
I took the airport rail yesterday (Friday) afternoon and the only flooding I saw was on Lat Krabang Road. Cars were still navigating it, but slowly. Every other road was wet from the current storm, but did not show flooding.

Work was underway to further build the embankments on the north side of the airport. It appeared they increased the height of the berms at least an additional meter.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Bangkok ACS email

Just received within the past hour...

Seasonal monsoon rainfall continues to flood wide areas of central Thailand and scattered locations in northern and northeastern Thailand.. These conditions are expected to continue for at least several more days. The Bangkok Metropolitan area has experienced localized flooding in northern and eastern areas and most reports indicate that the flooding risk for the Bangkok area will peak between October 16 -18. As a purely precautionary measure, U.S. citizens assigned to the Embassy who live approximately 12 kilometers north of central Bangkok in Nichida Thani have the option of relocating for a few days to central Bangkok until the anticipated peak flood period subsides, should they wish to do so. Extensive flooding in Thailand, especially in Central Thailand between Bangkok and Sukhotai, has caused considerable damage and loss of life. In many flooded areas, surface transportation has either been suspended or diverted around those areas. Portions of highways are closed and bus and train services linking Bangkok with points to the north are suspended.

If you are affected by the flooding and need urgent assistance, contact the Thai Government’s English-speaking Tourist Police, who can be reached nationwide by dialing 1155. For general information you can contact the Government Call Center at 1111 ext. 5.. For Thai speakers, there are hotlines for trains:. 1690; buses:. 1490; highway:. 1586, 1784; and 1146 for local roads; highway police:. 1193, and emergencies: 191.. You can see the Thai Meteorological Department’s weather forecasts and warnings at its website, http://www.tmd.go.th/en/

We are also posting general information, guidance about the flood situation, and resources for U.S. citizens on our website at: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/flood_information.html . Updated notifications with information for U.S. citizens are available via Twitter at @ACSBKK.

The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html) is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or by e-mailing [email protected].. The Embassy’s after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.. The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai (http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service.html) is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai.. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected].. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

For the latest security information, you should regularly monitor the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet website (http://travel.state.gov), where current Worldwide Cautions, Travel Alerts, Travel Warnings and health-information resources can be found... You can also obtain up-to-date information on security by calling 1-888-407-4747 (toll free) in the U.S. and Canada or, for callers in other areas, by calling a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time), Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

We encourage you notify us of your presence in Thailand by enrolling in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), available at https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/.

This email is UNCLASSIFIED
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Ayutthaya offers bounty for fugitive crocodiles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.