Community
Wiki Posts
Search

+++ (Photo Review)Thailand Royal Barge Procession in memory+++

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

+++ (Photo Review)Thailand Royal Barge Procession in memory+++

I know this year this grand event was cancelled so I want to share my friends photos .He took these great pics during the event.Before you see beautiful pictures, we should know the history first.

Thailand's Royal Barge Procession is a ceremony of both religious and royal significance,which has been taking place for nearly 700 years.
The exquisitely crafted Royal Barges are a blend of craftsmanship and traditional Thai art.
The Royal Barge Procession takes place rarely, typically coinciding with only the most significant cultural and religious events. During the reign of King Bhumibol Adulyadej spanning over 60 years the Procession has only occurred 16 times.

Old Oct 16, 2011, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

The Royal Barge Procession is conducted in one of two formations, the Major and the Minor.
The Major formation, also known as the Major Battle Formation (Petch Phuang Major Battle Formation) dates from the time of King Narai. This formation is used for the more significant events, such as The Royal Kathin Ceremony, movement of the sacred image of Buddha, or important occasions of state.
The Petch Phuang Formation is arranged into five columns, with the Royal Barges in the center,and two rows of war barges on each side. In the Minor formation, there are three columns, the Royal Barges in the middle, and a single row on each side.

Barge The original, featuring the god Vishnu riding a garuda, was built during the reign of King Rama III (1824-1857).

Construction of the present barge was commissioned by the Royal Thai Navy and the Fine Arts Department to commemorate the 50th anniversary of His Majesty King Bhumiphol Adulyadej accession to the throne. She was launched on May 9, 1996.

The name Subanahongsa, or golden hamsa, refers to the swan-like mythical steed of the Hindu god Brahma, which first appeared in Thai lore during the Ayutthaya period. King Rama I ordered the Subanahongsa built soon after his accession to the throne in 1782.

The vessel was in constant use as the principal royal barge until it became too old to be repaired. King Rama VI then commanded the construction of its successor, which was launched on November 13, 1911, and also named Subanahongsa.

Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:40 am
Original Poster

The Anantanagaraj Royal Barge

Second in rank to the Subanahongsa , the Anantanagaraj has an intricate figurehead in the form of a seven-headed naga, a mythical serpent that is a symbol of water.The first royal barge of this name was built during the reign of King Rama IV (1851-1868).

The present Anantanagaraj was launched on April 15, 1914, in the reign of King Rama VI. She is 44.85m long, her beam 3.17m and hull 94cm deep.

These barges have crowned monkey figureheads representing the simian warriors from the Ramakian the Thai literary epic based on the Ramayana where they serve Rama, an incarnation of Vishnu; hence their appearance on the Royal Barges of Kings. The figureheads of Hanuman on the Krabi Prab Muang Marn and the Nilaphat on the Krabi Ran Ron Rap are presented as being at attention, with gilded robes flowing in the wind. The origin of these two barges is unknown. The Krabi Prab Muang Marn was damaged by bombing during World War II.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.