Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help! BA ticket to Thailand

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Please help! BA ticket to Thailand

Hi everyone, I have a BA return ticket from Sydney to Thailand flying May 27 (issued May 13). It is part of the celebratory fares, so it's non refundable.

BA has updated its policy regarding Thailand tickets, but only for flights up to May 26. On the phone I was told I could not even rebook without paying additional fees.

I would like to get a refund, but I am not sure if this is possible. Any one out there can help me understand? I would appreciate knowledge on regulation on this matter plus I can't seem to find any british airways office in Sydney (other than the airport).

Thanyou!
Old May 20, 2010, 8:12 pm

You may find it more useful to move your post to the BA forum.

Most governments (UK, Australia, Canada) have already issued travel warnings against non essential travel to Bangkok and most of Thailand on May 13. So you knew the situation in Thailand when you booked. You would not have been able to purchase travel insurance for your trip also. BA may allow you to change but I doubt if they'd give you a full refund. It would not have been fair to BA's shareholders. If you've booked prior to issuance of the travel warnings, it may be different.
Old May 20, 2010, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Hi Irena, and a warm welcome to FlyerTalk.

I too am flying BA, due out of BKK on 30th (I'l in Jakarta at present on a side trip from Thailand).

Advice above is sound, and there is a BA thread which is very active, and where an experience BA FTer can probably assist.

An option might be for you to consider flying out/back from Thailand immediately to another nearby destination. This will affect any accommodation you might have booked, but means that you can still travel.

Cheers, TK
Old May 20, 2010, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Hi Clipper and Thai Kiwi...

When I got the ticket (may 13), if I understand correctly, the level of the FCO warning was lower, I believe it has been updated. The fact is I was flyint to Thailand to visit a friend, that has, as of May 19 been evacuated from her home...I admit buying the ticket aware of the difficult situation, but I do think it has become more threatening now... I appreciate the time, and I have moved the thread BA forum following your suggestion...thanks.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:21 am

Yes, I apologise for forgetting to welcome you as new comer!

I was scheduled to arrive Bangkok on 15 May for a 1 week vacation. I booked my trip in early March before all the disturbances. The UK FCO travel advisory on 13 May was to avoid all non essential travel to Bangkok and some other parts of Thailand. It was subsequently upgraded to avoid all travel on or about 19 May. Frankly, it's difficult to "argue" that visiting a friend is an "essential" travel. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your dealing with BA in getting a refund. Safe travel!

Since I booked my trip prior to the issuance of any travel advisory and have purchased travel insurance, my non refundable portion of the travel arrangements was covered by the travel insurance. TG allowed me to change without charge. So I just transit Bangkok and skipped Thailand completely. Please note that the UK FCO travel advisory specifically stated that it's safe to transit through BKK.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by irena
Hi everyone, I have a BA return ticket from Sydney to Thailand flying May 27 (issued May 13). It is part of the celebratory fares, so it's non refundable.
BA will update their policy sometime in the next couple of days (regarding tickets post 27 May). I doubt things will improve in BKK in the next couple of days - so the waiver will be extended.

When it is updated, it should continue to contain the following options:
> If you hold a BA ticket to travel to / from Thailand up to 26 May 2010 but have not yet commenced your journey you may,

* Rebook onto an available BA flight to the same destination up to 30 June 2010.

OR

* Rebook to an alternative destination. The value of your existing ticket can be used towards the purchase of your new one. If the new fare is higher then any additional fare is payable by the passenger.

OR

* Refund ticket purchased to orginal form of payment
Old May 21, 2010, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Thankyou all very much for your advice,

I do agree that visiting a friend is not essential travel, however, the situation at the moment did not feel as complicated. I will wait for a couple of days, and see what happens, I understand that the cabin crew strike might be on those days too, so there is a chance I might be able to rebook on that ground.

Cheers.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by irena
I understand that the cabin crew strike might be on those days too, so there is a chance I might be able to rebook on that ground.
Your flight is still showing as operating, so I don't think that will happen. Best you can hope for is that the waiver regarding Thailand is extended (Keep a very close eye on the BA site), and you should be able to deal with your flights under that waiver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.